It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:48

Any recommendations for a battery drill/impact driver?

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Any recommendations for a battery drill/impact driver?

Postby RogerS » 17 Apr 2017, 19:29

Batteries on my Makita's are starting to get a bit tired. I've had them for a long time. The Makita impact driver is excellent but the drills not quite so. The chucks don't grip the drill bit properly. ...not one of those ratchet type chucks.

Any suggestions? I feel the need for something new
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Any recommendations for a battery drill/impact driver?

Postby Mike G » 17 Apr 2017, 20:27

I bought my de Walt drill driver over 20 years ago, and it still runs like a dream. It was, as some people say, quite spendy.....In the last few days I've acquired a Milwaukee impact driver, and I'm not yet convinced.

Lots of pros seem to be using Makita, I notice. You might just have a look around their new stuff. First question to ask......."does it have steel gears, or plastic?"
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Robert » 17 Apr 2017, 21:04

A few years ago, stuck for things that could be bought for me as presents I went for a Ryobi drill and a couple of other tools that take the one+ batteries. So far so good - everything still works and having interchangeable batteries is a plus.

At work we had dewalt drill drivers in the assembly shop where they had a hard life. Mostly they made it to the end of the warranty without breaking - which was good going for being used all day every day driving self tappers and machine screws. Impact drivers weren't around then and don't have torque control so no idea on dewalt ones longevity. My ryobi one works fine.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Doug » 17 Apr 2017, 21:54

All of the main brands work well Roger, personally I would look first & formost for a brushless drill, then something with 4-5 ah battery if it's going to do heavy work & then finally any features that will work for you.

I have Bosch, Makita & Festool, all are good the festool would be my choice of only one brand as it has well thought out accessories such as angled head, off centre chuck, quick release chucks etc but you obviously pay a premium for this.

Beware of cheap offers as quite often the batteries although looking like the standard battery are infact a lower ah.

I don't think you'd go wrong going for any of the main brands.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodster » 17 Apr 2017, 23:30

I've had Bosch, Ryobi and AEG but the best so far was the Makita I bought about 4 years ago.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Rod » 17 Apr 2017, 23:30

I've had my Makita ones for years and still going strong. The 5 battery's between them still work ok.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Tusses » 18 Apr 2017, 08:06

apart from the other problems you mentioned, you can get the battery pack refurbed, with new batteries.
At least, you used to be able to
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 18 Apr 2017, 08:15

Tusses wrote:apart from the other problems you mentioned, you can get the battery pack refurbed, with new batteries.
At least, you used to be able to

I have a very jaundiced view about these refurb batteries now. I agree that, once upon a time, one could rely on decent batteries being used as replacement. Now it seems to me that eBay is awash with cheap Chinese cr*p ...all identical..all just as bad as each other with quality and ability to hold a charge for any length of time (after a few months) being wishful thinking.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 18 Apr 2017, 09:17

I have recently invested in the Ryobi One+ kit as I needed a grinder and they had an offer on those in Homebase. I looked at the range and given I have loads of different makes with different batteries I thought it would be an idea to standardise in the batteries and that kit seems decent enough.

Cheers
Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby RogerS » 18 Apr 2017, 09:47

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was thinking about one of the DeWalts that are on Screwfix but see that they are not brushless.

Rather taken with this Milwaukee....a lot of pro's seem to rate them highly

http://www.powertools-direct.com/PBSCPr ... D=18042692
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Doug » 18 Apr 2017, 20:40

They look good Rog, the Makita equivalent is around the same price https://www.angliatoolcentre.co.uk/maki ... GwodvzsPRA doubt there's much between them.

A mate has just bought into Milwaukee, I was using his gear the other day when working at his workshop it seems fairly robust equipment, don't think you'll go wrong with them.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 12 Oct 2017, 15:56

The Milwaukee has a huge amount of grunt. The batteries are very good and last a long time and charge quickly.

But the drill chuck is pants. Mine i now worn out after nit that much use. Fails to grip drill bits adequately and if you use the screwdriver setting on the drill...a sort of micro-impact driver in operation...the chuck locks up solid and you have the devil of a job to undo it. 3/10
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 12 Oct 2017, 17:16

I got my white 18v Makita combo set from Sfix. Must have been an offer.

The impact driver combined with the Torx bit drove those 120mm Clas Ohlson screws in a treat!!!

The drill/driver is a bit heavy in use, but has never missed a beat.

Quick recharge.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Harv-53 » 12 Oct 2017, 20:19

Hello Roger
I can highly recommend the Milwaukee 18v stuff I have most of there 18v range ( including a SCMS which is totally invaluable to me as I often don't have acess to electricery) my drill is about 3 years old and has been used a lot, its very robust and I've not had any issues with the chuck, I really can't fault the batteries either.
I gave my impact drivers away as I don't get on with them, for driving screws in I prefer to use the 12v driver.
I've also got several of their 12v tools and find them excellent also, and being a smaller build than the 18v stuff they can fit into smaller places and are surprisingly powerful.
As an aside I can also recommend the dewalt extreme 2 drill bits, they have 3 flats on the shank which engage with the chuck jaws and eliminate the drill bit spinning in the chuck

Harvey
Harv-53
New Shoots

Name: Harvey

Postby RogerS » 13 Oct 2017, 19:22

Harv-53 wrote:Hello Roger
I can highly recommend the Milwaukee 18v stuff I have most of there 18v range ......
Harvey

Not where I'm coming from ! Claiming only a 3 month warranty on chucks. Cobblers!
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 13 Oct 2017, 20:11

Is it a case that the new ones are crap?
My Makita stuff is probably 10yrs old, if not older and still going strong.
Perhaps the new stuff has cut corners in their manufacturing.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Machines & Power Toolery