It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:50

Old koehring b100e kerosene Master heater

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Old koehring b100e kerosene Master heater

Postby tracerman » 21 Apr 2017, 14:29

I bought a Koehring Master instant heater ( kerosene or diesel) heater years ago , never used it much but when I used it in my workshops at Stanbridge Earls and later in West Wellow , I just plugged it in and switched on and it used to run continually for as long as I wanted it , usually bursts of 10 minutes or so until I switched it off.
It stood around for years but recently when I tested it I found that it will run for about one minute , then cut out , and then start up again if still plugged in . I am not aware of a thermostat but it behaves as if there is one . Its quite old now , model B 100 E , spec 3114 GT , seriel no 1-282054 , 9 gal tank , BTU 90,000 . I took the top cover off and made a cursory examination but there was nothing obviously wrong , it fires up , runs seemingly ok but cuts out , then after about a minute ,it starts up again . Does anybody have any suggestions ?
Steve
tracerman
Sapling

Name: Steve

Re: Old koehring b100e kerosene Master heater

Postby 9fingers » 21 Apr 2017, 16:20

Have you tried running it out in the open to test the thermostat theory? ie it should never switch off in the open.

Just a thought

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby tracerman » 21 Apr 2017, 19:16

Bob - my garage " workshop" is so crammed full that I put it out on the front lawn to avoid a fire . Unless anybody knows where I could get it serviced locally I might have to strip it down and give it blow-through but what puzzled me was that it seems to work OK but cuts in and out so I was wondering which component ( if faulty ) might cause that .
Steve
tracerman
Sapling

Postby 9fingers » 21 Apr 2017, 19:57

OK so it is not a thermostat that is causing it to go on/off.

There will be an optical sensor looking for the flame and this might have a dirty lens
The fuel is usually sprayed in with venturi. The fuel feed could be partially blocked or the jet needs a clean.
If it runs at all, then the ignition is probably OK unless the coil is failing when it warms up.
They are pretty basic to see what is or is not happening.

hth
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby tracerman » 22 Apr 2017, 00:39

Thanks Bob - I managed to print off the manual from the manufacturers website so I'll give a clean-up.
Cheers
Steve
tracerman
Sapling

Return to Machines & Power Toolery