It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:29

Tyre for EB315 bandsaw

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Tyre for EB315 bandsaw

Postby DaveL » 22 Apr 2017, 20:42

While trying to cut the end off a length of half an ash log, I manage to jam the top wheel of my bandsaw. On removing the log the plastic blade shield that slides up and down in the top guide support had wedged in to the wheel, causing the tyre to snap.
I have had a quick search and at the moment eBay is top of the list for a new tyre, an original one for around £12 or a pair of blue ones from the U.S. for around £40, but I am bound to get caught for import duty and vat.

Does any one know of any other suppliers for these?
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Re: Tyre for EB315 bandsaw

Postby Robert » 22 Apr 2017, 23:18

Is it a profiled section or just a flat strip band of rubber?

If it is just a flat strip, buy some rubber strip off ebay , cut to length, then superglue the ends to make the band. My P/T has been running the feed rollers with a home made glued belt for some time now with no problem.

Come to that why not glue the old tyre if it is just broken clean?

I found the superglue has to be fresh - old stuff has less strength.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Woodster » 22 Apr 2017, 23:31

This stuff has been recommended for the job by someone on another forum, not tried it myself though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371486065417? ... EBIDX%3AIT

I think it needs gluing to the wheel with rubber cement or similar.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby DaveL » 26 Apr 2017, 09:29

Robert wrote:Come to that why not glue the old tyre if it is just broken clean?

Don't know why I did not think of doing that, it has worked a treat, thanks for the idea. :eusa-clap:
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby PeterBassett » 31 May 2017, 15:20

I can personally vouch for this stuff. I used it about two weeks ago.

My bandsaw wheels are aluminium and flat in section however. Thus needing profiled rubber. I didnt fancy the expense of that so I put a crown on the offending wheel with a belt sander and 60 grit belt.

I removed the entire wheel and baring assembly and clamped the assembly to the bench. The wheel was free to rotate, but the clamps keep the whole thing solid.

Then introduce the belt to the wheel at about a 45 degree angle so the force spins the wheel. Take it slow, move the sander back and forth and work the appropriate crown.

Several times I used a marker pen to colour the wheel as it rotated, marking high spots. Hold the pen on the bench and very slowly move it toward the spinning surface. Eventually it will mark the highest parts of the wheel. Repeat across the surface and then belt sand off the marked areas.

Once sanded to shape I took the 5m of 40x3mm rubber belt and cut it to rough length then cleaned the section with meths. The length was about 2 inches too long overall.

Applied good contact adhesive to the whole wheel. On the belt I left about 1 inch clear of glue on one and and 2 inches clear on the other.

Start applying the rubber to the wheel, working you way round.

Once all tacked on, overlap the ends, cut a 45 compound mitre in the rubber, through both ends. Discard the excess. Apply contact adhesive to the remaining unglued ends as well as the cut edges and stick down.

I used ratchet straps to then clamp evenly around the circumference.

It seems to be better to cut the mitre such that the blade will push the cut end closed as it rotates, if you get me.

Once dry, use a stanley knife to remove the excess rubber around the edge of the wheel.

It's worked a treat.

Woodster wrote:This stuff has been recommended for the job by someone on another forum, not tried it myself though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371486065417? ... EBIDX%3AIT

I think it needs gluing to the wheel with rubber cement or similar.
PeterBassett
Seedling

Name:

Return to Machines & Power Toolery