It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:58

Dust Extractor Remote Control

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Dust Extractor Remote Control

Postby Duncan A » 08 Aug 2017, 21:51

I have an Axminster ADE2200 dust extractor (really a chip extractor) with a 1.5kW motor. It has a starter with NVR so if the power is interrupted and then restored, the motor will not start unexpectedly.

Having moved it some distance from where I normally work, it is less conveniently to hand than it was, so I have looked into fitting a remote control of the sort that can be bought on eBay or Amazon for a few quid.
The R/C socket that I bought claims a max load of 2.9kW so should be OK for the job as long as the startup current doesn't kill it after a few uses.

As a trial, I inserted the R/C socket between the contactor and the motor so that the undervolt/hold-on coil is unaffected, and other protection devices also remain operative. As I switch off all sockets not in actual use, when I start work I first need to switch on the wall socket, then press the Start button on the starter to pull the contactor in. It remains held in by the hold-on coil and the DX starts and stops on command using the R/C.
This all works well, but there is a moderate buzzing from the contactor/coil assembly which is probably present when the DX is running, but can't be heard, so I wasn't aware of it. I know that such a buzz is quite common, but operating in this fashion means that the coil will be energised for much longer periods than previously, when it was only energised while actually running the DX.

Average "On" hours in this mode will probably be a max of 4 hours in any given day, and an average of only about 1 hour/day over the year.
My question is this: Given that the electrics are relatively cheap Chaiwanese components, am I likely to materially reduce the life of the coil or the contacts by doing this?

All comments and advice welcome
Duncan
Duncan A
Seedling

Name:

Re: Dust Extractor Remote Control

Postby 9fingers » 08 Aug 2017, 22:18

Duncan,

It is not unusual for contactor coils to buzz and as you say the noise is often masked by the motor. Nothing to worry about.

The relay in your RC socket will be going through hell at each start up with inrush currents of around 40 amps each time but could survive quite a while with just hobby use. Otherwise use the RC socket to drive another contactor in between the NVR and the motor for a long lasting design.
There is another way using a small relay for the NVR function and the existing contactor coil and get rid of the buzz annoyance at the same time.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Dust Extractor Remote Control

Postby Duncan A » 08 Aug 2017, 23:16

Thanks Bob
Your second suggestion appeals to me and I may give it a try. For now, the R/C has been stolen by SWMBO so not much I can do until I get another one!
Duncan
Duncan A
Seedling

Name:

Return to Machines & Power Toolery