It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:57

New induction motor for my table saw

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

New induction motor for my table saw

Postby Halo Jones » 28 Sep 2017, 19:13

I seem to be going through motors recently....

I got my table saw very cheap a few years ago because the motor was "dead". It had been abused a bit (well a lot) and had shorted out. I managed to fix the short and the motor has always just about worked - it deals with ply and mdf etc just fine but seriously struggles if you try to rip something like a 2x4. Last weekend I had to cut tapers in some 2 inch oak table legs and the motor seriously didn't like it and left some of the oak more than a little burnt.

So once my current project is out the way I am looking to replace the motor. My saw is a Record TSPP250 and has a 2 hp motor. Record want £230 for a replacement motor. As usual money is tight and looking on e-bay I see I can get an equivalent for about £100. I can also get a 3 hp motor for about £130. Is it worth upgrading to the 3 hp? If I did this would I have to think about getting a new starter switch, a 16 amp socket and upgrading the mcb to a C-type (the ones that take longer to trip)?

As usual advice very welcome!

Thanks,

H.
Halo Jones
New Shoots

Name:

Re: New induction motor for my table saw

Postby 9fingers » 28 Sep 2017, 20:13

The first thing to do is to measure the frame size of the existing motor. this is the distance between the centre of the shaft and the mounting plane of the feet (assuming it is foot mounted) and the shaft diameter.

Any replacement motor should have the same frame and shaft measurements to avoid a lot of conversion work.
IF you go up in motor power and the frame size remains the same, it is likely to be longer. So makesure that will fit too before committing.

Looking at pictures of your saw, it looks like it has an NVR switch but with non of the motor protection that a full DOL starter offers. It could well have a soft start and or brake incorporated. It f you want these features then I would suggest you stick to a record motor as it will fit electrically and mechanically.
However, if you throw away all the current starter and stopping gear and fit a proper DOL starter, your motor will be protected and subject to fit, can be 2 or 3hp.
Best value DOL starters I've found are from toolstation and now about £33 including the thermal trip relay. Choose the latter by model to include the full load current read from the motor plate.

hth
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Halo Jones » 28 Sep 2017, 20:33

Hmmm. Thanks Bob. A few things to think about there.

I seem to remember that the reason I did not replace the motor years back is that the body of the motor is really quite short and getting a replacement that would fit was nearly impossible. Another part of the saw that annoys me is that the rise and fall mechanism is always getting gunked up and hard to turn. The only access is to take the table top off which rather puts me off cleaning. So I was very tempted to get a new motor, cut a hole in the side of the metal panel where the motor would stick out and weld on some flat bar to strengthen it. This would give me access to the motor and the ability to clean the rise and fall mechanism.

If I bought the DOL would I get away with a 13 amp plug or will this depend on the starting current of the particular motor I bought? Is it best practice to fit the 16 amp socket and MCB?

H.
Halo Jones
New Shoots

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 28 Sep 2017, 20:42

I really would not put off cleaning and maintenance just because it is not easy! The thread could strip out when you need the machine most.

Two hp will sometimes start on a 13amp plug, sometimes not. My jet planer is 2hp but needs a 15 amp old fashioned wired fuse to start reliably.

If you are on modern electrics then a type C MCB. 16amp for 2hp, 20 amp for 3hp and a 16amp plug/socket would be prudent.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Return to Machines & Power Toolery