It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:45

iTech 01332 250mm Table Saw

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

iTech 01332 250mm Table Saw

Postby Malc2098 » 11 Dec 2017, 21:42

I've been visiting family in Sussex this weekend and came back to Devon via Horsham :D and popped in to Scott and Sergeant to have a look at the iTech 13332 250mm table saw for the grand opening of Phase 1 of my 'shop.

Any thoughts?

https://www.scosarg.com/itech-01332-250mm-cast-iron-table-saw-bench
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Re: iTech 01332 250mm Table Saw

Postby Andyp » 11 Dec 2017, 21:57

Have you read this Malc:-

http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/itec ... 00271.html

There are far more knowledgeable folk on here than me but one thing I would say is beware of full length fences and the possibility of kick back. Steve Maskery explains it all way better than I can

[youtube]d7QXIN2X8-w[/youtube]
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Malc2098 » 11 Dec 2017, 22:10

Andyp wrote:Have you read this Malc:-

http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/itec ... 00271.html

There are far more knowledgeable folk on here than me but one thing I would say is beware of full length fences and the possibility of kick back. Steve Maskery explains it all way better than I can

[youtube]d7QXIN2X8-w[/youtube]

Thanks, Andy. Yes, that post influenced my choice of machine viewing.

And the video is useful, too, thanks.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby DaveL » 11 Dec 2017, 22:48

That looks like a current version of my old Wadkin AGS10.
It will need a 16 amp socket probably with a type 'C' breaker to stand the in rush starting current.
I only have one extension wing but it's a good bit of kit, it came with a relatively small 3 phase motor which I swapped out for a 3 hp single phase, it has done everything I have asked of it.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Phil » 12 Dec 2017, 06:22

Looks like a good saw. Like the cabinet, less dust flying around.

Regarding fences -
My Rockwell has a similar fence fitted with quick lock and micro adjustment, and then I have 3 bolt on fences.

One quite high one the length on the table (made by the chap I bought the saw from) made from 20mm ply.

A longer one twice the table length made from 20mm ply, see pic in this post. It has a piece of angle iron screwed to the back to prevent any warping.
A nice length for ripping.
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3036

Then a slightly longer one, triangle shape with a 20mm edge to the blade, to get the fence in under the blade guard. It was a spur of the moment build-and-use and sawing could be done differently using the second fence.
Ripping wide board can be a challenge.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Doug » 12 Dec 2017, 08:52

Looking at the photos there appears to be bolts through the fence for fixing an auxiliary fence? Might be worth enquiring if that’s an optional extra, my Hammer fence works on a similar principle hence me thinking that.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Rod » 12 Dec 2017, 11:43

My Deft comes with a long fence which you can adjust for thin or thick boards. The fence slides on 3 T bolts.

I’m well aware of kick back and never stand behind the blade, so far the long fence hasn’t given any problems.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 12 Dec 2017, 11:53

Another vote for looking at Steve's reviews and videos. In case you weren't aware he has produced some excellent DVD's covering a whole range of topics including table-saws and some very handy - and more importantly safe - jigs.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 12 Dec 2017, 13:19

Set the blade tips to be exactly parallel to the table slots. You can do this by ear listening for a slight noise when a work piece passes the back of the blade and produces no visible dust or hint of burning.

Always set the fence to toe out from the blade by a tiny tiny amount. NEVER ever any toe in!

My golden rule is then to only have one type of guide for any cut.

A long fence is fine if the work is just slid up against the fence and the "push" effort is applied to the piece between fence and blade. With push sticks of course.

If the work is guided by the mitre gauge then keep the fence is well out of the way.

If you want to do repeat cuts from the mitre gauge using the fence as a length stop then fit a short auxiliary fence to the main one, ensuring it stops before the front edge of the blade.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby RogerS » 13 Dec 2017, 06:25

One thought Malc is to look at the fixing of the fence at th far end. Is it? I know that when I looked at getting a larger P/T all those years ago, I was put off by fences (usually aluminium) that just had a fixing at one end.

There's nothing like a cast-iron top.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 13 Dec 2017, 10:50

Gentlemen all.

Thank you. That's been most helpful.

I'm still hobby, so I'm at entry level and have been saving my consultancy fees, otherwise it would have been something smaller.

All your advice has been noted.

Just got to sort out a deal now and put locks on the 'shop doors.

Happy Christmas.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Jimmy Mack » 14 Dec 2017, 15:21

I have a long fence....oo-er!

I suspect you could trim it down or make a little sub fence that hangs off it (if the measure adjust allows)

You'll be able to slide the fence back, though this might conceal your measure marker. If you are concerned about kick-back (respect isn't a bad thing), some set the fence so it very slightly falls away as you go beyond the back of the blade. A PLUS for the long fence is with it slid back you've got a solid reference and support
before the cut to push up to when you are at the back of long stock (especially 8 ft sheets) and are a couple of feet away from the machine.

If you do have another look, pay particular attention to the build quality of the RIP fence mechanics...lock and fine adjust assembly, as this is an area where I've seen failures...weak screw threads and cam's etc.

HTH, Jim
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 14 Dec 2017, 16:05

Thanks, Jim.

Everything helps.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Malc2098 » 15 Dec 2017, 17:04

The FC late Xmas sleigh will be delivering to Mid-devon in late January with a large and heavy package.

I have been invited to give a review of the product. Is that allowed, Mods?
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby 9fingers » 15 Dec 2017, 17:20

Malc2098 wrote:The FC late Xmas sleigh will be delivering to Mid-devon in late January with a large and heavy package.

Very happy to have reviews on here Malc. Concentrate on the machine features rather than over promoting the supplier.
If it is the supplier who has asked you to do a review, then they might not want you to publish it elsewhere?

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Dan0741 » 15 Dec 2017, 17:52

Would love to see a review as i am considering a saw in the not to distant future :D
...time is precious; waste it wisely...
Dan0741
Sapling

Name: Dan

Postby Malc2098 » 15 Dec 2017, 18:56

9fingers wrote:
Malc2098 wrote:The FC late Xmas sleigh will be delivering to Mid-devon in late January with a large and heavy package.

Very happy to have reviews on here Malc. Concentrate on the machine features rather than over promoting the supplier.
If it is the supplier who has asked you to do a review, then they might not want you to publish it elsewhere?

Bob

Hi Bob, it is the supplier asking. The salesman suggested I might like to. We had had a bit of a ding dong over differing prices advertised in different places, and that was settled satisfactorily. He then suggested a review and mentioned another forum. I told him I was only a member of this forum and would seek mods' advice, but would be happy to if approved.

I will wait till he contacts me about delivery and sort it with him then.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Woodbloke » 19 Dec 2017, 18:00

To offer a differing opinion, I've had two table saws and both have been inaccurate, so now I don't bother with one. There are alternative (albeit slower but more accurate) ways of working which means that getting rid of the tablesaur(s) was a good move. They also take up far too much room in a smallish workshop, especially when outfeed and side tables are fitted.
I do, however, have two very good, very accurate bandsaws which I find far more useful. Horses for dooberies, as ever :D - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 19 Dec 2017, 21:47

Woodbloke wrote:To offer a differing opinion, I've had two table saws and both have been inaccurate, so now I don't bother with one. There are alternative (albeit slower but more accurate) ways of working which means that getting rid of the tablesaur(s) was a good move. They also take up far too much room in a smallish workshop, especially when outfeed and side tables are fitted.
I do, however, have two very good, very accurate bandsaws which I find far more useful. Horses for dooberies, as ever :D - Rob

Thanks, Rob.

My dooberies are quite new to this woodworld, so I'll see which horse they will end up liking.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby RogerS » 19 Dec 2017, 22:43

Malc2098 wrote:
Woodbloke wrote:To offer a differing opinion, I've had two table saws and both have been inaccurate, so now I don't bother with one. There are alternative (albeit slower but more accurate) ways of working which means that getting rid of the tablesaur(s) was a good move. They also take up far too much room in a smallish workshop, especially when outfeed and side tables are fitted.

Thanks, Rob.

My dooberies are quite new to this woodworld, so I'll see which horse they will end up liking.

You just wait until you see Rob struggling to cut an 8 x 4 sheet on a bandsaw :lol:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 19 Dec 2017, 22:58

RogerS wrote:
You just wait until you see Rob struggling to cut an 8 x 4 sheet on a bandsaw :lol:

Rob has been known to bring large sheets over to me for rough cutting ....

We are a close knit community here lol

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Woodbloke » 19 Dec 2017, 23:38

RogerS wrote:You just wait until you see Rob struggling to cut an 8 x 4 sheet on a bandsaw :lol:

It's what a patio and hand saw are for Rog :D I can't remember the last time I needed to cut a full 8x4' sheet of anything and recently I've found a place in the town that sells mr mdf in all the sizes. They will also cut to a full sheet into quarters, which then becomes a piece of cake to transport home and subsequently store flat under the assembly bench. I reckon that cutting a full 8x4 is such a rare event for most hobbyists it's just not worth the investment in even a moderately priced panel saw and even if you do get hold of such a beast, you'll probably need a 'shop the size of a 747 hanger to use the thing effectively :lol: - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rod » 20 Dec 2017, 00:17

Even with my very accurate TS I use my ancient B&D circular saw and a long straight edge to cut up sheets to manageable sizes, no need for a very expensive green track saw and parf doggies.
Didn’t you used to use Charnwood TS’s Rob which probably explains the inaccuracies?
I don’t consider my saw to be that big and with a protective covering of thickish cardboard sheets gets used also as an assembly table.
Having said that I wouldn’t be without my Bandsaw too and as the man said “it’s horses for courses”.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 20 Dec 2017, 09:33

Rod wrote:.....
Didn’t you used to use Charnwood TS’s Rob which probably explains the inaccuracies?
Rod

No, I think it was a Silverline :lol:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 20 Dec 2017, 10:14

RogerS wrote:
Rod wrote:.....
Rod

No, I think it was a Silverline :lol:

Nope, Charnwood. Poxy thing was complete and utter bloody rubbish, but even my little Kity 417 wasn't all that accurate. I was speaking to one of the guys at Ax last year who dealt with machinery and I mentioned the issues I had with the Charnwood, whereupon he immediately said that they use the lowest quality stuff in all their machinery, which probably explains why the tablesaur was complete and utter dross. Even so, it (or any other saw) still took up far too much room in the 'shop - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Next

Return to Machines & Power Toolery