It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:44

dust extraction

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

dust extraction

Postby matt » 29 Jan 2018, 19:03

hi all,
what one would be best for my new workshop. I would have a saw, p/t and miter saw conected to them
thanx

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+woodworkin ... nds+dk7108

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+woodworkin ... nds+dk7109
matt
Seedling

Name:

Re: dust extraction

Postby Andyp » 29 Jan 2018, 19:42

I have a different sort of dust extraction so feel enable to comment. Rutlands do split opinions on quality of products and service. Have you had a look at SIP products? Not the most expensive but do seem to be of respectable quality.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby matt » 29 Jan 2018, 19:51

thanx Andyp will have a look, They are priced about my budget. what is the diffrence between the to types.
matt
Seedling

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 29 Jan 2018, 21:03

This one from these people might be worth a look.

https://www.scosarg.com/1hp-dust-collector-with-vacuum-attachment
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Stargazer » 29 Jan 2018, 23:35

Check when comparing, the two flow rates are very different but be careful as they post different units, the first is 1150cubic metres/hour, the second 53litres/sec

1150/3600 cubic metres/sec =0.319 cubic metres/sec = 319 litres/sec compared to 53litres/sec
Stargazer
New Shoots

Name: Ian

Postby matt » 30 Jan 2018, 02:25

Hi stargazer thanks for the reply but I'm not to sure what that means I'm new to the world of dust extractor.
matt
Seedling

Name:

Postby Andyp » 30 Jan 2018, 08:00

matt wrote:thanx Andyp will have a look, They are priced about my budget. what is the diffrence between the to types.

I am no expert and there are many different opinions as to what is "best" in any given situation. The ones yuo are looking at are quite but take up a lot of space. They work off induction motors and are High Volume Low Pressure systems. I choose to go down the beefed up vacuum cleaner route and have a Low Volume High Pressure System takes linked to a cyclone and drop box. All outside the workshop so the increased noise from the brush motors is not a problem. Although LW radio interference is :)

For a quick and concise guide have a read through here https://knowledge.axminster.co.uk/dust-extractors/

also some interesting stuff here
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2560&hilit=dust

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 30 Jan 2018, 09:40

Matt

This is a very good starting point to get to grips with dust.

My take is that it really depends on what machines you are using as some generate more dust (table saw, sander) and other machines more chips (planer/thicknesser). Also how much you are generating. Then you have mitre saws that are notoriously difficult to efficiently collect the dust.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Stargazer » 30 Jan 2018, 11:02

matt wrote:Hi stargazer thanks for the reply but I'm not to sure what that means I'm new to the world of dust extractor.

The type of extractor will depend on what you are connecting to as Roger mentioned, however when comparing two HVLP (which these both are) then basically the more volume the better. It is unfortunate that the two you link to choose to state the rate of extraction in different units making it less straightforward to compare them.
Stargazer
New Shoots

Name: Ian

Postby chataigner » 30 Jan 2018, 12:40

More air flow means better extraction, especially of chips from a planer which are heavier than sawdust. It also means you need to use big tubes to avoid restricting the airflow, minimum 100mm I would suggest.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby wizer » 30 Jan 2018, 16:00

It depends, also, on your work environment & budget. I started out with an RSDE2 from Record and I loved that thing. It's major issues are noise & capacity. Noise is not really an issue if you are using table saws and planers. You just have to get used to wearing ear defenders. I actually enjoy the 'white noise' of wearing ear defenders when I'm working. Capacity is hard to get around. You will fill that type of extractor up very quickly from a P/T. A cyclone would help. But what I liked about the RSDE2 was it's portability. It was like a Henry/Vaccuum type solution, but with enough suck to handle the bigger tools. I can't vouch for the cheaper brands, but this is high on my next-to-purchase list. Sadly my RSDE2 was lost in the great implosion event of 2013 :cry:

The problem with the other type of extractor you suggested is it's size and they are no good for smaller machines like sanders, etc.

Ultimately, if you are like anyone else here, you'll end up with both.
wizer
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 30 Jan 2018, 16:29

If it helps, Aldi were doing a wheeled small wet/dry vac which had an electric socket in it for your power tool. You switch the tool on and the vac fires up, too. Under £50, I think.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Andyp » 30 Jan 2018, 18:42

wizer wrote:It depends, also, on your work environment & budget. I started out with an RSDE2 from Record and I loved that thing. It's major issues are noise & capacity. Noise is not really an issue if you are using table saws and planers. You just have to get used to wearing ear defenders. I actually enjoy the 'white noise' of wearing ear defenders when I'm working. Capacity is hard to get around. You will fill that type of extractor up very quickly from a P/T. A cyclone would help. But what I liked about the RSDE2 was it's portability. It was like a Henry/Vaccuum type solution, but with enough suck to handle the bigger tools. I can't vouch for the cheaper brands, but this is high on my next-to-purchase list. Sadly my RSDE2 was lost in the great implosion event of 2013 :cry:

The problem with the other type of extractor you suggested is it's size and they are no good for smaller machines like sanders, etc.

Ultimately, if you are like anyone else here, you'll end up with both.

Tom you will get even more suck for your buck with one of these which is what I have along with with a cyclone and drop box.

Now Record own camvac I wonder how much longer they will continue to sell them both.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby matt » 30 Jan 2018, 19:22

hi all ans thanks for the help. im going to be in a portacabin so the unit will be out side. I have found one of thoses lidl hovers and will set that up with a cyclone for the finer dust machines and buy the one for the heavier chipings for the t/p.

would that sound about right. i have only worked in the shed before were u cut a piece of timber then run it the house for a cuppa until the dust is gone.. so this is my first proper workshop :D :D :D :D :D :D :eusa-dance:

again thank you all for the help
matt
Seedling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 30 Jan 2018, 21:50

matt wrote:hi all ans thanks for the help. im going to be in a portacabin so the unit will be out side. I have found one of thoses lidl hovers and will set that up with a cyclone for the finer dust machines and buy the one for the heavier chipings for the t/p.

would that sound about right. i have only worked in the shed before were u cut a piece of timber then run it the house for a cuppa until the dust is gone.. so this is my first proper workshop :D :D :D :D :D :D :eusa-dance:

again thank you all for the help

That is by far the best solution IMO.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 30 Jan 2018, 22:00

That's what I'm going for, too!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby RogerS » 31 Jan 2018, 05:55

And the side benefit of splitting the two types into dust and chips is that when you really start to get stuck in generating volumes of the stuff, stables will take the chippings as they have minimal dust in them and since they constitute the lions share of the volumes generated, has to be a good thing.

The dust can be secreted inside a black bag and go out with the bins
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Return to Machines & Power Toolery