It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:27

Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC

Postby Mike G » 26 Apr 2018, 09:44

I have read the following claim on another forum:

It is the Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC that concerns its self with the safety of machinery, and it applies just as much to a machine you may make yourself and use at home. Clause 1 of Article 4 says that the directive applies to machinery that is placed on the market and / or put in to service. It's the "and / or put in to service" that causes the provisions of the directive to apply to non-work and domestic situations. So if you have machinery, you must have compliant machinery that is CE marked.

This person claims that home woodworkers have to have compliant, stamped, machinery under this EU directive. Could someone please tell me how to refute this.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC

Postby tracerman » 26 Apr 2018, 10:06

Mike - this sort of thing makes my boils bleed - it has always pi'44ed me off being told to muzzle my creative ingenuity . I have dreamt up all sorts of fangled things for my lathe and/drill press or router and out of common sense or self-preservation I would not ( mostly) do anything dangerous .
In a CoSira meeting years ago we were told that EVERY socket in the workshop had to have a circuit breaker . Sod off . One way to refute this CE cobblers would be to leave the EU , then , although our own government may wish to keep regs in parallel for important stuff like vehicle design we may be able to go our own way on the minor stuff . Hopefully these inspectorial doom-mongers will be out of a job .

Sorry - feeling better now .
tracerman
Sapling

Name: Steve

Postby RogerS » 26 Apr 2018, 19:30

Mike G wrote:I have read the following claim on another forum:

It is the Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC that concerns its self with the safety of machinery, and it applies just as much to a machine you may make yourself and use at home. Clause 1 of Article 4 says that the directive applies to machinery that is placed on the market and / or put in to service. It's the "and / or put in to service" that causes the provisions of the directive to apply to non-work and domestic situations. So if you have machinery, you must have compliant machinery that is CE marked.

This person claims that home woodworkers have to have compliant, stamped, machinery under this EU directive. Could someone please tell me how to refute this.

The response rhymes with rowlocks. If it was that important...it's 2006..then it would have been picked up, disected, analysed long before now on forums.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby timothyedoran » 26 Apr 2018, 23:51

I work in the environmental sector and a great many good things come from Europe directives. Many are far beyond what individual governments would be bold enough to enforce.

A lot of the poor legislation happens when the EU directives are incorporated into member states home laws and extra bits are bolted on.

With regards to ec 2006/42. I have skimmed it and I'm not sure what the complaint is about. There may be bits that could be taken out of context or misinterpreted but on the whole it seems reasonable. The jist is that this directive protects workers and consumers from poor and dangerous tools. I think it is about sale or distribution of free tools not a tool that you knock up for yourself at home.

Think about those dangerous power drill circular saw attachments from the 70's. Sure they were democratising for the diyer but lacking in basic safety features. That is what this directive aims to prevent.

If you want ammo here is the full directive
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content ... 32006L0042

Article 4.1 does not seem particularly exciting to me.
Code: Select all
Article 4

Market surveillance

1.   Member States shall take all appropriate measures to ensure that machinery may be placed on the market and/or put into service only if it satisfies the relevant provisions of this Directive and does not endanger the health and safety of persons and, where appropriate, domestic animals or property, when properly installed and maintained and used for its intended purpose or under conditions which can reasonably be foreseen.

Ps I am a closet EU directives geek

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
timothyedoran
Sapling

Name: Tim Doran

Return to Machines & Power Toolery