It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:00

Dust Extraction Arm

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Dust Extraction Arm

Postby themissingelf » 29 May 2018, 18:20

I've decided my garage / workshop is too small for a dust extraction "system".

Instead I want to place my DX5000 somewhere reasonably central along the length of the garage and connect it directly to whatever tool is being used at the time. I'd like to avoid the hose constantly trailing on the ground; attaching it to an arm that allows it to be moved about the workshop and life up out of the way when not in use.

Is anyone aware of such a device?

Thanks
themissingelf
New Shoots

Name:

Re: Dust Extraction Arm

Postby old » 29 May 2018, 19:03

Make one to fit your needs with ply nuts and bolts etc.
old
New Shoots

Name: Chris

Postby Doug » 29 May 2018, 20:46

Festool do a boom arm which whilst expensive is worth looking at to get ideas.

I fixed an 8’ length of 1” dowel to the ceiling of the workshop, made a sliding carriage to run on the dowel from a piece of plastic pipe to which I attached my extractor hose, it works very well & the hose doesn’t get in the way trailing as it does from the ceiling.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Rod » 29 May 2018, 21:02

I don’t think there’s anything commercial but you could rig up a wheeled base to push it around.
Don’t forget that it’s very heavy when loaded with chippings etc.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby themissingelf » 29 May 2018, 23:37

Doug wrote:Festool do a boom arm which whilst expensive is worth looking at to get ideas.

I fixed an 8’ length of 1” dowel to the ceiling of the workshop, made a sliding carriage to run on the dowel from a piece of plastic pipe to which I attached my extractor hose, it works very well & the hose doesn’t get in the way trailing as it does from the ceiling.

Inspired! Thank you!
themissingelf
New Shoots

Name:

Postby RogerS » 30 May 2018, 15:13

Doug wrote:Festool do a boom arm which whilst expensive is worth looking at to get ideas.

Any pictures, Doug ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Return to Machines & Power Toolery