It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:42

To thien or not to thien

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

To thien or not to thien

Postby Bucks woodshop » 28 Jul 2018, 16:06

Hi all

So ive been ruminating on my dust extraction plans which involves lots of reading including bill pentz website and youtube videos

I have most of it settled i have a 50mm cyclone for the shop vac which will extract the mitre saw and table saw overhead collection plus 1 spare porr for clean up

Then i have my 100mm extractor with 100mm pipework to table saw and P/T plus floor sweep and extraction in the mitre saw collection box

What im struggling with is the cyclone for the 100mm nobody makes one at a reasonable price so i looked to make my own but seems a faf

Then i spotted the thien baffle seems simpler to construct and more forgiving

Anyone had an experience of these do they work as well as a cyclone ?

Tia

Ian

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
do or do not do there is no try - Yoda , the dagobah system
Bucks woodshop
New Shoots

Name: ian

Re: To thien or not to thien

Postby Doug » 28 Jul 2018, 16:57

I’ve had both cyclone & Thien & found the cyclone to be better, I made a second cyclone here viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3142

Larger 4”cyclones cones come up on eBay so worth searching for.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Bucks woodshop » 28 Jul 2018, 22:08

So even more issues now i set up the cyclone and ran a test im only getting 50% capture of the dust and chips

Seals are good as if i cover the end the bucket sucks in instantly

Not sure what else to check on it kust does not seem to be as efficient as everyone claims

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
do or do not do there is no try - Yoda , the dagobah system
Bucks woodshop
New Shoots

Name: ian

Postby Robert » 28 Jul 2018, 22:36

I made a Thien separator some years back and I'm still using it. It is made for drain pipe size pipe (63mm I think).

It works well and I can empty it half a dozen times before there will be 1/4" or less of fine dust in the extractor and the filter needs a shake. it is only the finest of dust that gets through.

Back when the forum was just woodhaven not woodhaven2 I made a video of it. No real 'making of' just a couple of parts photos but you can see the design pretty clearly during the demo.

[youtube]8CHtPKeCvD4[/youtube]

Apologies for the music in the background. I wouldn't add that now if I was doing another video :)

I do want a larger version for 100mm tube. The shop vac in the video is now replaced and if I ever get round to it the drum from that will be the scrap bin under a new separator.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby will1983 » 30 Jul 2018, 10:13

Buck,

Have a look over on UKW, I built one last year and use it almost daily. It's pretty good, I get very little blow by and the unit is mobile which is something you can't really do with a large cyclone.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/pos ... n#p1183185
Check out my Instagram account cheshire_cats_workshop for more stuff I have been working on.
Cheshire Cats Workshop Website
will1983
New Shoots

Name:

Return to Machines & Power Toolery