It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:10

DeWalt Nailers - questions

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

DeWalt Nailers - questions

Postby tabs » 11 Aug 2018, 11:25

I needed a nailer as I'm starting the framing on my workshop next week. I decided to go for Dewalt kit with a First and Second Fix nailer in it as it wasn't a lot more than just buying a First Fix nailer. I'm now having second thoughts after reading a few reviews that said although the Second Fix nailer was great the First Fix one keeps jamming and didn,t always drive the nail head all the way in. There were other reviews that seemed to be ok.
Its not too late to cancel so I'm interested in your thoughts.

This is the kit:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01E9FSWKG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Has anyone used these or other First Fix DeWalt nailers? What do you think? Should I just get a Plaslode and if so which one(I'm new to Nailers so basically know nothing)

Thanks
tabs
New Shoots

Name: Tez

Re: DeWalt Nailers - questions

Postby Rod » 11 Aug 2018, 14:44

I used screws and my Mikita drill so no additional expense. Very quiet too.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 11 Aug 2018, 16:40

I wish I could advise you more. When I renovated an old house a few years back, my philosophy was to buy the kit I needed and then sell it on eBay. One of those items was a Paslode and it was OK apart from you having to get it square on otherwise the safety mechanism wouldn't let it fire. But I suspect that the same goes for all the other makes.

Sometimes reviews that are negative are down to the owner chucking the tool into a pile of dust on the floor and then expecting it to work fine. If I bought something new and it jammed then I'd send it back under warranty. Not a lot of help though if you need it the next day !

Reading the reviews on Amazon, the negative review by a carpenter speaks volumes about the 1st fix gun and on that basis if it were me I'd avoid the DW 1st fix.

If you went the Paslode route I'd not bother with the ones that do battery and gas...after all, you're not going to use it that much again are you ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Doug » 11 Aug 2018, 17:34

I’ve got a DeWalt compressed air first fix nailer & I like it a lot, it did take a little getting used to to get the nails to drive all the way in & im guessing that would be the same with the battery machine but once I got the hang of things I’ve not looked back.

Personally I prefer air driven guns & doubt the 4 guns I have have cost as much as one battery gun & whilst I realise you need to buy a compressor they are so useful in the shop for other things that I’d have one even if i didn’t have nail guns.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 11 Aug 2018, 17:38

Yup...I'd second that about a compressor. It doesn't have to be massive one. I have an old Clarke Bandit that I've had for years. I have a couple of Axminster small nailers but I reckon it would drive a more powerful nailer.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby HappyHacker » 11 Aug 2018, 18:01

I have a little Bostich compressor and a few air nailers. I used the first fix one on a large fencing project with no problems. The smaller ones and stapler all work well. The compressor was able to support a decent rate of nailing with the first fix nailer, certainly faster than I needed to go. I have no experience of battery nailers so cannot comment on them. I have a little electric Rapesco which is ok for small jobs.
HappyHacker
Sapling

Name: Kevin

Postby tabs » 16 Aug 2018, 12:09

I did think about getting an air nailer but I've a few jobs coming up where I would need a portable one so I've bit the bullet and decided to go with the DeWalt. It was delivered today in fact.

I need to buy some nail packs now but can only find them in packs of about 2000 which since I' going to need a few sizes for just the shed build is going to cost quite a bit. Does anyone know of anyplace where I can get smaller packs? The 90m packs of 2000 ring shank nails were costing around £40 to £50.

My timber is 4x2 for the walls and 6x2 for the roof so I'm assuming I'd need the 90mm?
tabs
New Shoots

Postby MJ80 » 16 Aug 2018, 14:12

I've got the Paslode first fix gas gun, I have had it since I started out. It does what it needs to do, sometimes the heads won't go all the way in, especially with the long ring shank nails. I keep thinking of selling it as I don't do much first fix anymore, but it has paid for itself that many times over I couldn't part with it. I also have the old Dewalt second fix battery gun (I am assuming that there is a new version now), it is brilliant, so much nicer that the old festool pinner I used to have. In the workshop I have a bostik pinner off the compressor, its great as it can take really short pins.
Before the Paslode there was a lot of hammering.
MJ80
Sapling

Name:

Postby tabs » 17 Aug 2018, 16:33

I did some searching on the forum and found a thread where Firmahold nails were mentioned in a good light and have managed to locate an online site that sells them in boxes of 1100 which is more like the quantites I need atm at the following prices:

FirmaHold 3.1x90 Straight Shank / Galv *NO GAS* CFGR90 (Paslode compatible) 1100 nails per box 1 £19.57
4995380 FirmaHold 2.8x50 Ring / FirmaGalv *NO GAS* CFGR50 (Paslode compatible) 1100 nails per box
£11.32

I couldn't find any Ring Shank 90mm at those quantites though. Will I be OK using the straight shank for the 4x2 framing on my workshop?

Cheers
tabs
New Shoots

Postby MJ80 » 18 Aug 2018, 10:23

They should be fine. Apparently if I remember our site plasloded training the blue stuff on the nails acts as a lubricant when the nail is fired and then has adhesive properties as it cools.
I often use the rawlplug nails, they get the job done.
MJ80
Sapling

Name:

Postby tabs » 21 Aug 2018, 18:11

Thanks
tabs
New Shoots

Postby the bear » 21 Aug 2018, 22:12

I've been buying Fischer nails for my chippys, theres been no complaints.
I'm no expert but be careful with the paslode compatable bit, I'm not sure the IM350 and im360 nails are interchangable therefore make sure you're getting the right ones you need

Mark
the bear
Sapling

Name:

Postby tabs » 26 Aug 2018, 13:56

Thanks Mark. I've just bought some Dewalt 90mm ring nails on paper from a local shop £38 for 2200 so better price than I could find online!! But I'll be buying non brand for the other jobs such as the battens etc.

Well after building a couple of frames using my DeWalt first fix nailer heres my thoughts.

Obviously it beats hammering in the nails! But it doesn't always drive the nail all the way in ,mostly they're left 10mm proud but occaisionally 30-40mm. I'd say about 20% of the time they're driven all the way in. Now maybe this is partly due to my technique and will improve in time but I'd say when I'd done a few and got use to putting enough pressure on they were still sitting proud. I did have the nailer set on single shot and had the power turned all the way up as well as taking the plastic cover off. As it was it only meant having a hammer handy and a bang or 2 to fully drive the nail home.

I'll come back and update this review when I've finished the whole framing process.
tabs
New Shoots

Postby Alex » 17 Jan 2019, 13:31

Hi. I've been using my dewalt 18v 1st fix for 2 1/2years on site, now few things to note. Nailer has a switch to switch between long nails and short, need to swivel belt clip out way to see it. For 90mm nails you can't use bump mode so switch to manual. Press nose down listen for flywheel to reach full rpm, about 3-5 seconds then pull trigger while holding firmly against wood. Also depth adjustment wheel on front need to set. Just remembered to switch back switch for shorter nails.
I'd say on new wood, shooting straight not at angle 95% time mine sinks 90mm ring shank. Toeing or angle shooting less but then those nails don't generally need to be sunk.

Mine shines doing roofing battens (63mm nails), osb/ ply shuttering.
Alex
Seedling

Name:

Postby tabs » 20 Jan 2019, 15:16

Thanks for the hints Alex. I hadn't realised you had to wait that long, I'd just been waiting till I hear the noise? then firing so maybe I should give it another couple of seconds.
tabs
New Shoots

Return to Machines & Power Toolery