It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:37

spiral cutter planer/thicknesser Delivered today

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Re: spiral cutter planer/thicknesser Delivered today

Postby RogerS » 30 Sep 2020, 15:23

Does it have to sit inside the wheeled frame? You could put a couple of sheets of 18mm ply on the top and simply walk it on.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Robert » 30 Sep 2020, 15:49

It would be too tall for where I intend to store it if it was on top.

Think I've worked out how to do it now. Clamp an 8ft timber to the tables and position a trestle near each end of the planer. lift one end at a time onto a stack of flooring offcuts on the trestle tops. take the pallet away and raise one end, remove one 18mm plank, lower then down the other end and repeat.

I'll sleep on the idea first. May go and get a bigger timber plank than I have to hand.

Not crazy about the mobile base. Think fixed wheels one end is going to be a pain. Like the lever down feet instead of locking castors and it feels strong. Had to hack saw down 2 bars as the minimum size is still a bit large. Wheels are hard nylon so may be possible to just skid them sideways. Otherwise I may need some kind of lever down castor between the fixed wheels. We shall see.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Malc2098 » 30 Sep 2020, 15:53

Nice.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby RogerS » 30 Sep 2020, 16:22

Or what I do when faced with sort of thing is to have two piles of thinnish ply or MDF etc...12mm is good. And to tilt back and forth the P/T either inserting another sheet alternately on each side until you've got it up to the height you want or vice versa.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 01 Oct 2020, 12:56

Robert wrote:It would be too tall for where I intend to store it if it was on top.

Think I've worked out how to do it now. Clamp an 8ft timber to the tables and position a trestle near each end of the planer. lift one end at a time onto a stack of flooring offcuts on the trestle tops. take the pallet away and raise one end, remove one 18mm plank, lower then down the other end and repeat.

I'll sleep on the idea first. May go and get a bigger timber plank than I have to hand.

Not crazy about the mobile base. Think fixed wheels one end is going to be a pain. Like the lever down feet instead of locking castors and it feels strong. Had to hack saw down 2 bars as the minimum size is still a bit large. Wheels are hard nylon so may be possible to just skid them sideways. Otherwise I may need some kind of lever down castor between the fixed wheels. We shall see.

I’d just be careful with that plan that you don’t damage the ‘plane’ of the tables with all that weight hanging from them. Personally I’d be looking to do something from underneath rather than above.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby RogerS » 01 Oct 2020, 13:12

Isn't perceived wisdom to put the bearers underneath the tables and wind the thicknesser table up ? But I agree with Mark..better from below.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 01 Oct 2020, 13:14

From experience - 2 braked wheels bad / 4 braked wheels good. Wheels are cheap and I would swap them for 4 locking brakes.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 01 Oct 2020, 13:18

can you lift up one end enough to get a broom handle (shortened) under one end , add a couple more and roll to the end of the pallet and into the roller stand.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Robert » 01 Oct 2020, 14:07

It's on the stand now :)

The Axminster instructions say to be careful if manhandling it by the tables not that you must never do it. My clamping resulted in a dead lift with no twisting so I think all is OK. Still need to bolt things on and do the setup routine.

Not a lot of room with 2x 3.6m timbers. Made life easy so worth the £17 at selco. The pallet slides out now.

Started lowering. original idea was to manually lift the timbers while a friend removed the packing. I tried lifting and it was still heavy so used a bottle jack instead. Turned out effortless.

I could nip to screwfix and get a 16A socket but the old planer had the same motor rating and ran no problem on 13A so I bought an adaptor to try first. The easy position for a 16A socket would not be a good location. I did run it briefly...nice and quiet.

It fits where the old one lived but it hasn't got all its bolt ons yet.

SWMBO wants me gardening which is not what I want.
Robert
Old Oak

Postby Robert » 01 Oct 2020, 15:36

So first head scratcher..

The manual shows a retained pressure plate for holding the fence (black bracket near the clamping handle label on the top picture).

I have a loose bracket in a bag with no means of retention.

Well it didn't quite fall off when I removed the fence

Got to say I'm not impressed with the fence retention method. You can't get the fence off if it is locked in the 90deg position. You have to tilt it to 45 and even then it is not a simple lift off.
Looking at it it will be an easy fix and seems strange they didn't do it. One for the tuit list.
Robert
Old Oak

Postby eezageeza » 01 Oct 2020, 20:55

i think thats the model that Peter Parfitt bought recently (NewBritWorkshop on Youtube).

Have a look at his video to see how he got it off the pallet etc (it was a bit precarious frankly, but might be interesting for you to see).
eezageeza
Seedling

Name:

Postby Robert » 01 Oct 2020, 23:04

eezageeza wrote:i think thats the model that Peter Parfitt bought recently (NewBritWorkshop on Youtube).

Have a look at his video to see how he got it off the pallet etc (it was a bit precarious frankly, but might be interesting for you to see).

Had a quick look on YouTube but didn't find anything.

Someone asked about the wheels. None are braked. There are 2 over centre push down levers than put down rubber faced feet and lift the caster wheels off the floor just slightly. Works well.

The base size does not match the machine exactly and metal on metal means it is not hard to move the machine in relation to the frame so some wood spacers to keep it centred are needed. It's heavy but not too bad to move. just have to do reverse parking as the other 2 wheels are just plain wheels not casters.

I've bolted on all that needs bolting on and done the recommended setup measuring and didn't find anything wrong. Tried one piece through the thicknesser and it was effortless low noise and a great finish.

Not fitted the brackets for stowing the fence when not in use as i don't want the extra width they would cause. I'll find a home for the fence elsewhere.
Robert
Old Oak

Postby Robert » 07 Oct 2020, 16:18

Last couple of days I've given it its first workout on this hard flooring.

And I'm impressed :)

The boards are pretty flat so I've mostly been thicknessing. First batch I did run into a problem. There is a thick layer of rock hard varnish on the boards and the ridged roller that does the infeed was cracking the varnish and flakes were sticking to the roller. It lost grip to a point where it stopped feeding and i had to stop the machine and wind the bed down to remove the board.

I waxed the thicknessing bed as i hadn't worked out what the problem was and the wax was enough to finish the batch. It was obvious what the real problem was once the extraction cowl was out of the way. A small wire brush sorted the roller. Second batch I wiped the boards with mineral oil (ok baby oil) and no more sticking to the roller.

I used to go look at the extractor to make sure it was on over the noise of the planer. now the extractor drowns the sound of the planer it is that quiet.

I have a plug in electrical meter. Power consumption is pretty much identical to the old metabo. On startup the display flashes 4kW but only for a fraction of a second. Running doing nothing it used 540W and cutting around 1100W.

It makes sawdust not shavings. Maybe its the weather today but when i emptied the separator bin today the bits started leaping out of the bin. Some kind of static charge thing. Might also explain why the machine is good at covering itself in sawdust.

It works so well though that none of that matters. If you've thought about getting a spiral cutter machine I'd say just do it :)
Robert
Old Oak

Postby eezageeza » 21 Oct 2020, 10:07

Interesting that you have this running on a 13 amp supply - I'm working up to buying a P/T in that sort of class (maybe that very one) and they all seem to call for a 16 amp supply (which I don't currently have). Axminster spec a type C breaker as well.

Do you have a type C circuit breaker on your supply? Does the machine run perfectly well on your supply?

I have a Record Power Sabre 350 bandsaw, and starting that causes the shop vac to dip in speed for a fraction of a second as the saw picks up speed, so I'm suspicious that a P/T with a bigger motor might be a step too far.

I dont think installing a 16 amp supply would be horrifically expensive, but would be happy not to bother if I didn't need to!
eezageeza
Seedling

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 21 Oct 2020, 10:21

eezageeza wrote:Interesting that you have this running on a 13 amp supply - I'm working up to buying a P/T in that sort of class (maybe that very one) and they all seem to call for a 16 amp supply (which I don't currently have). Axminster spec a type C breaker as well.

Do you have a type C circuit breaker on your supply? Does the machine run perfectly well on your supply?

I have a Record Power Sabre 350 bandsaw, and starting that causes the shop vac to dip in speed for a fraction of a second as the saw picks up speed, so I'm suspicious that a P/T with a bigger motor might be a step too far.

I dont think installing a 16 amp supply would be horrifically expensive, but would be happy not to bother if I didn't need to!

The need for 16A supplies for machines with motors of this approximate power is sometimes needed, sometimes not. For a manufacturer it is always beeter to err of the side of needing it. Similarly C type breakers.
the issue it the time taken for the motor to get up to speed and this is aggravated in machines using a speed up belt drive, the inertia of the mechanism and 2 pole motors (2850rpm). If the supply has minimal voltage drop ie plenty of current can be drawn on startup then the machine gets up to speed quickly and breakers don't trip.
I've also observed variations with temperature, in the cold, the belts are stiffer, bearing grease is more viscous and breakers will trip more readily.
For this reason in my workshop I've got a 40 amp C breaker in the house to fee the workshop and an older wired fuse box in the workshop itself. This means I can easily start 3hp machines on 15amp fusewire and be adequately protected against faults as the wire fuses will blow under overload conditions and faults.

My advice would be to get the machine you want and try it on your supply to see what if any upgrades you need to install. You could be pleasantly surprised.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby eezageeza » 21 Oct 2020, 11:28

Thanks Bob, very interesting. So 'suck it and see' it is then!

All I have to do now is wait for some machines to become available....
eezageeza
Seedling

Name:

Postby Robert » 21 Oct 2020, 13:59

9fingers wrote:My advice would be to get the machine you want and try it on your supply to see what if any upgrades you need to install. You could be pleasantly surprised.

Bob

This was my approach. Try the easy way first then do what's needed if it doesn't work.

Pleased to say so far there has been no problem. I'm plugging into a socket on a ring main so the breaker is 32A. What is vulnerable is the 13A fuse in the plug on the adaptor. So far it is holding. As I think I may have said somewhere earlier in this thread 13A is only ever exceeded at startup and then for less than a second. The rest of the time even when working hard it is drawing way under 13A.

I think the 16A plug thing is just to avoid the odd 13A fuse popping at startup. I don't intend to get a 16A socket at present.
Robert
Old Oak

Previous

Return to Machines & Power Toolery