It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:55

Bandsaw coarse cutting problems

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Bandsaw coarse cutting problems

Postby RogerM » 11 Oct 2018, 17:42

I've set up my Startrite 352E using the Alex Snodgrass method https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGbZqWac0jU and most previous problems are now resolved. However, even using a very slow feed rate I'm still getting the grooves shown in the photo. Probably no coincidence that they coincide with the knots (?) but they also show apparently at random when cutting hard wood such as American Cherry. The blade is a lightly used 3tpi SuperTuff Fastcut which has a small tooth in between the main teeth. I have a new 3tpi blade on order which should at least establish whether it is a blade problem. Any ideas?
Attachments
IMG_20181011_163353.jpg
(442.42 KiB)
Last edited by RogerM on 11 Oct 2018, 17:55, edited 1 time in total.
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Re: Bandsaw problems

Postby Robert » 11 Oct 2018, 17:50

No ideas but I recently did a lot of resawing for making drawer boxes and occasionally i got similar coarse saw marks. They coincided with the blade making a louder noise - like some vibration started then stopped.
Blade is a new 3tpi M42 from Tuffsaws. I noticed the blade said starret on it. Previous one from many years ago had no marking.

That was with slow feed and higher than normal tension on the blade. may try backing the tension off a bit next time.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Re: Bandsaw coarse cutting problems

Postby 9fingers » 11 Oct 2018, 20:36

Roger, they dont look very random to me. The heavy patterning is occurring when cutting through harder sections of timber ie knots. The blade is vibrating under these conditions. think I agree with Robert in that it would be worth tinkering with the tension. I'd also drop the blade guide as low as possible.

Blade tension is over rated I think. there used to be a chap who did demo at exhibitions on Record power bandsaws with the tension back right off and it still cut perfectly.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Bandsaw coarse cutting problems

Postby RogerM » 11 Oct 2018, 22:22

Thanks both. That's an interesting idea. It does screech a bit from time to time and it would be interesting to see whether that coincides with the score marks. I'll also see whether cutting hard up against the fence is a contributing factor. I've read that it can put pressure on the back of the blade which can make the cut erratic.
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Return to Machines & Power Toolery