It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:52

Axminster belt grinder

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Axminster belt grinder

Postby Woodster » 20 Oct 2018, 11:02

Has anyone else noticed the new Axminster “Ultimate Edge” belt grinder on pages 240 and 241 of the new catalogue?

I’m not in the market for one as I sharpen my tools on a much modified and larger belt and disc sander. It does seem a shame though that the Axminster doesn’t compete a bit better on price with the Sorby ProEdge.

For those without a catalogue it’s here:

https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-t ... tem-103474

And here:

https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-t ... tem-103473
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Axminster belt grinder

Postby RogerS » 20 Oct 2018, 12:13

I have to admit surprise that one could actually sharpen chisels etc on what essential is a bit of moving sandpaper and I'm guessing flopping about. Caveat ...I base this observation on my own linisher which is, admittedly, a much larger beast but I certainly wouldn't even attempt to use that to sharpen my chisels.

You live and learn !

Surely it's a load of faff to keep going down through the grades and changing the belt ?

Give me my Worksharp 3000 any day.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodster » 20 Oct 2018, 14:26

I generally sharpen all my tools, both metal and woodturning on my belt and disc sander using just a 80 grit belt. If I want a more polished edge I use or finish off with a 240 grit belt. Changing belts on my machine only takes about 20-30 seconds. I can get grits from 50 up to 600 for my Record BDS250. I understand that the Sorby ProEdge came about because Sorby used a large belt sander in their factory to sharpen all their tools prior to dispatch. Actually most tools seem to come with a flat grind.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby selectortone » 20 Oct 2018, 15:42

RogerS wrote:I have to admit surprise that one could actually sharpen chisels etc on what essential is a bit of moving sandpaper and I'm guessing flopping about.

A really sharp chisel isn't what is needed for woodturning - the process of turning wood takes a very sharp edge off pretty quickly. What you need for turning is a decently sharp edge that stays that way for a good time, which is why HSS, M42 and carbide tools are popular with turners. Carbon steel, the tradional material for turning tools, can be sharpened to a keener edge but being softer it doesn't stay that way for long when the item you're cutting is whizzing around at a thousand revs or so, hence its fall from grace with turners.

For sharpening my turning tools I use a bench grinder and a white or CBN wheel. It works fine for me and most importantly the grinder is right by my elbow so there's the minimum of time away from the lathe. If I want a really sharp chisel for the very occasional bit of guitar repair work I do nowadays, I'll do it by hand on a whetstone with my Veritas honing guide, as I was taught at guitar-building school.
selectortone
Sapling

Name: Terry

Postby selectortone » 20 Oct 2018, 17:08

p.s. I don't think Axminster Tools loves me any more (despite all the money I've given them!)... still no catalogue for me :eusa-violin:
selectortone
Sapling

Postby Woodster » 20 Oct 2018, 22:17

The postman’s still got it in his loo, soon as he’s finished reading it he’ll pop in through your letter box! :lol:
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby selectortone » 20 Oct 2018, 22:25

:lol:
selectortone
Sapling

Postby selectortone » 21 Oct 2018, 13:29

Woodster wrote: It does seem a shame though that the Axminster doesn’t compete a bit better on price with the Sorby ProEdge.

What am I missing here? It seems like a lot of money for what is essentially just a drive wheel and tensioning wheel bolted onto the end of a motor.

For less than a third of the price you can buy one of these from Machinemart with the same spec in terms of motor power and belt speed. You even get a disc sander.

It looks a bit agricultural but it's a big old solid lump of cast iron. I've had one for a few years and it does everything I need in terms of rough sanding and shaping (don't use it for sharpening though). We had one at the guitar repair shop where I used to work and it got lots of use for roughing out blanks for bridge saddles, nuts and whatever. That one's been going for ten years.
selectortone
Sapling

Postby Woodster » 21 Oct 2018, 18:42

Some of the increased cost is no doubt in the micro adjust tool holder but it’s still expensive in my view.
I would need to try out both but on the face of it I prefer the Sorby approach of using all steel construction.
I’m still surprised the Chinese haven’t copied the ProEdge and knocked it out at £150.00. :?
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby wallace » 23 Oct 2018, 09:51

I've been using a disc and belt sander for years for my turning tools. It has a very heavy cast base. That price seems a bit silly to me.
I missed a big boys wadkin belt sander last night. It went for just over £100. I blame the mrs
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Return to Machines & Power Toolery