It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:03

How Good are Biscuit Jointers

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

How Good are Biscuit Jointers

Postby PJM » 20 Nov 2018, 21:23

HI guys, I have been looking at the Erbauer ERB372BJC biscuit Jointer but have not made the purchase yet. Screwfix are showing a 4star review on it at £64.99.

I wondered what others experience are of this product as we do not have one at my Mens Shed and whilst I was at the Northern England Woodworking and Power tool show on Saturday, clearly none of the sales people had ever used one. There was also next to it what looked like and identical tool that did parallel dowels, this however looked like to much changing of sizes, where on the Biscuit one you only adjust the blade depth.

Advice anyone ?

PJM
PJM
Seedling

Name:

Re: How Good are Biscuit Jointers

Postby Malc2098 » 20 Nov 2018, 21:34

A few years ago, I bought the Makita biscuit jointer for a job and it's been in it's case ever since I finished it.

The drawer cabinets I've been making to fit my workshop out were designed for pocket holes screws.

I've got two more to make and just for the hell of it, I got the jointer out and I'm going to have a go with that.

It will take longer than for pocket hole screws, but if I do it right, it should look neat.

I must remember to always register off the same surface.

The plywood arrived this morning.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby 9fingers » 20 Nov 2018, 21:37

A lot depend of the accuracy of the slide mechanism. A small amount of play can mean that the slot cut can vary in position and hence an error appears in the alignment of the parts.

These days those with deep pockets buy a festool domino system but I make quite a bit of use of my Bosch BJ which I think is a knock of of either a metabo or a makita** can't recall which.

I keep my biscuit stock in the airing cupboard with only a few in an airtight jar in the workshop as they swell with moisture and can be difficult to insert.

A common misconception is that a biscuit adds strength to a joint. It does not. It simply provides registration of the axis through the thickness of the biscuit and a little longitudinal adjustment on assembly.

Unless your mens shed is awash with funds or intends to make heavy use of a BJ, then I'd suggest considering a router bit instead as a low cost entry to biscuit jointing. Wealden supply some of the best value/quality cutters - No commercial connection just my goto supplier for all router bits.

Bob

** It is the Makita that is the same as the Bosch one
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby StevieB » 20 Nov 2018, 21:40

Biscuit jointers are useful for aligning boards, joining boards and providing a gluing surface for eg edge banding. Largely superseded by the Domino (for those that can justify the expense) they function perfectly well at what they do, but it is rare that I use mine. I cannot justify a domino, and there are other ways to do the same job - dowels as you indicate, loose tongues, pocket holes etc. horses for courses really. Biscuits tend to come in 3 sizes, growing in width and length but not thickness so the same circular cutter can cut slots for all 3 just by extending further into the wood. With care a biscuit joint can work well and be accurate, it is totally hidden and being made of compressed wood will 'expand' to fit the slot cut for it - used carefully you have a perfect joint every time.

Not sure that answers your question, and no experience of the model you list (I have an old axminster one) but they are fairly simple bits of kit so long as the fence and alignment is accurate.
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 21 Nov 2018, 11:53

I’ve no experience of the Screwfix one but I’ve got a cheapo one from Axminster, the one to go for at that time was the Lamello but I couldn’t justify the £400 ish spend.
You get what you pay for, the adjustments are a bit clunky but with care and plenty of checking you can get good results. I’ve used it for joining planks and edge trimmings.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 21 Nov 2018, 19:13

I'm keeping this post in this thread because it relates more to the original post than a WIP.

I hope I won't be teaching any of you to suck eggs, but as PJM asked, and as I was coincidentally about to start a biscuit job with little or know experience, I shall post a pic or two.

I don't know if there are universal markings, but I just let myself know which edge or face I was referencing off.
fullsizeoutput_683.jpeg
(346.25 KiB)

I used the saw table as the horizontal reference face, and the fence as a vertical stop.
IMG_2409.JPG
(329.49 KiB)

IMG_2410.JPG
(286.88 KiB)

Going for a dry run. The jointer is not set up for a perfectly middle slot in the 18mm edge of the ply. It is visibly offset, so that actually makes it easier to get the pieces the right way round for dry run and glue up.
IMG_2411.JPG
(304.62 KiB)

And now to glue up.
IMG_2412.JPG
(299.37 KiB)

I've got another 4 drawers to make up and the carcass. It will take days longer than pocket screws, but I need the experience for other possible builds.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Coley » 21 Nov 2018, 20:22

9fingers wrote:
A common misconception is that a biscuit adds strength to a joint. It does not. It simply provides registration of the axis through the thickness of the biscuit and a little longitudinal adjustment on assembly.

Wouldn't the larger glue area result in a slightly stronger glue joint Bob?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 21 Nov 2018, 20:30

Coley wrote:
9fingers wrote:

Wouldn't the larger glue area result in a slightly stronger glue joint Bob?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I suppose it does a by a small percentage along the grain and does help a fair bit with end grain joints.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby tracerman » 22 Nov 2018, 09:07

People - my only contribution is this - about seven years ago I bought an ElCheapo bisbuit jointer in B&Q for £35 .(MacAllister I think ) . I wish I wish I wish I had known about them way back in my furniture-making days as I would have been able to turn round jobs such as big kitchen table-tops and cupboard face-frames in a fraction of the time , especially after I also discovered the modern fast glues , whereas I had been using Cascamite and clamping up overnight . Apart from table legs requiring deep mortices , I now think of the biscuit jointer as a first option .
Steve
tracerman
Sapling

Name: Steve

Postby RogerS » 22 Nov 2018, 13:43

Some good tips there, Malc. I especially like the idea of using the fence as a backstop.

I used to have a biscuit jointer but sold it as, being trade, I could justify a Domino.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 22 Nov 2018, 16:31

RogerS wrote:Some good tips there, Malc. I especially like the idea of using the fence as a backstop.

I used to have a biscuit jointer but sold it as, being trade, I could justify a Domino.

Philistine!! :D
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Malc2098 » 22 Nov 2018, 19:19

Today, as a DIYer, I have been impressed with how consistently square I have been able to make the drawer carcasses using biscuits.

Of course, that assumes that the table saw set up to cut the parts was true in the first place. But I never got the previous lot this square with pocket hole screws.
IMG_2414.JPG
(350.93 KiB)

IMG_2415.JPG
(300.41 KiB)
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby StevieB » 22 Nov 2018, 22:47

Malc2098 wrote:
Of course, that assumes that the table saw set up to cut the parts was true in the first place. But I never got the previous lot this square with pocket hole screws.

Not sure why - if you clamp square then pocket hole screw joints should be square as well? :eusa-think:
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 22 Nov 2018, 23:09

StevieB wrote:
Malc2098 wrote:

Not sure why - if you clamp square then pocket hole screw joints should be square as well? :eusa-think:

Pocket hole screws pull the joint out of alignment when you screw them up. Especially if you're also using glue.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 23 Nov 2018, 17:04

Well, it had to happen!

Out of 20 biscuits on the cabinet carcass, I got one referenced wrong. :eusa-doh:

It was on one of the three top braces and I didn't spot it until I had everything clamped up. So, I prised that part open, took out the biscuit and screwed into the end of the brace from outside the cabinet side and it all squared up.

You can't see it but its position in the photo is on the far lower right (the carcass is on its back).

IMG_2416.JPG
(326.16 KiB)
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Malc2098 » 25 Nov 2018, 18:13

I have to say this one made with biscuits has turned out so much better than the previous 2.

Not all of that is down to the biscuits because I was following an American plan with 3/4" ply and was not compensating for UK 18mm ply.

But having done that now and used biscuits, it has slid together much nicer.

Drawer fronts and cabinet top tomorrow.

To go back to the OP question, If you've got one, I'd go ahead and use

020D1C0C-BDED-4210-84D8-5E215AEB9B00.jpeg
(165.6 KiB)

Mods, I have no idea why this particular image won't orientate properly. If it's not too much trouble, can you sort, please. Thanks.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Andyp » 25 Nov 2018, 18:25

Photo sorted. Just have to fix you fit fongers :)
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Malc2098 » 25 Nov 2018, 18:27

Andyp wrote:Photo sorted. Just have to fix you fit fongers :)

Thonks!

(I'm beginning to sound like Crabtree!)
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby PJM » 28 Nov 2018, 02:00

I would like to thank everyone for their comments, help and photographs and particularly viewing the project currently being made using biscuits. It all has helped me to make the decision to buy a jointer in the New Year after sorting out my new workshop

Many Thanks

PJM
PJM
Seedling

Name:

Return to Machines & Power Toolery