It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:15

Katsu

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Katsu

Postby Rod » 06 Dec 2018, 01:12

I bought this a few months ago and finally got round to using it today.
I fitted it with a Makita guide bush and for less than £30, a great little router.
It was the basic model with the standard trimmer base and the height adjustment worked really well. It’s light and easy to hold.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Katsu

Postby TrimTheKing » 06 Dec 2018, 01:26

Looks handy. Where did you get it from Rod?
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Rod » 06 Dec 2018, 03:03

I bought it on EBay but I think it came from Aim Tools. Now £28.99
You can also get it for £61 with other bases, plunge, tilting etc

It’s rumoured to be a Makita clone as lots of Makita accessories fit it.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 06 Dec 2018, 09:08

Cheers, might be worth adding to my Christmas list as Mother Trimble is pestering me for ideas!
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Coley » 06 Dec 2018, 10:55

Hi Rod. Don't suppose you've got a picture or link to the bush please ? I bought this router a while ago and am surprised just how often I use it. I thought going from the traditional 2 handled router to just holding the body would be strange, I think it's actually easier to control in some situations. If it broke tomorrow I wouldn't hesitate replacing it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby Harv-53 » 06 Dec 2018, 11:44

I purchased the makita palm router several years ago and found it really useful, I read a review on the katsu one so decided to get one as it was so much cheaper than makita, as Rod mentioned all various bases work on both makes, I have now got 3 of the katsu ones, I keep my most used bits in them permanently, it’s saves me having to hunt around for the bits to do a swap over, I’m not the most orderly person, I can find the machine in a few seconds, the bits often used to go the way of my disappearing pencils and vaporise.
Harv-53
New Shoots

Name: Harvey

Postby Rod » 06 Dec 2018, 23:57

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Coley » 07 Dec 2018, 06:05

Top man Rod. Thank you

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 07 Dec 2018, 09:55

I bought one of these a few months ago to build into a 3 axis copy pantograph I made. It works beautifully, but damn it screeches!
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 09 Dec 2018, 05:44

Just ordered one but to my surprise found my details already saved on AIM Tools ecommerce site Shopify. Includes two-factor authentication. So far so good. What concerned me though was that all my details including credit card details were already stored as well. I never knowingly allow this to happen so not a happy bunny.

To the best of my knowledge I have never bought from the before. Enquiries ongoing !

Looks a nifty bit of kit though. Be warned, there is another one branded Merry on their site that looks similar but more expensive.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby HappyHacker » 09 Dec 2018, 22:04

RogerS wrote:Just ordered one but to my surprise found my details already saved on AIM Tools ecommerce site Shopify. Includes two-factor authentication. So far so good. What concerned me though was that all my details including credit card details were already stored as well. I never knowingly allow this to happen so not a happy bunny.

To the best of my knowledge I have never bought from the before. Enquiries ongoing !

Looks a nifty bit of kit though. Be warned, there is another one branded Merry on their site that looks similar but more expensive.

Details may be saved in your browser or on the e-commerce site if you have used it before with a different supplier. Unfortunately gone are the days when what is on our computers is private, there are too many organisations capturing our data and tracking what we do without our knowledge or approval.
HappyHacker
Sapling

Name: Kevin

Postby RogerS » 07 Mar 2019, 12:30

Mmm...just got this out of the box to use it to rout out a recess for the cover plate on the edge of a door. Juries out TBH.

Possibly when I get the template dooberry I might revise my opinion but at the moment I'm inclined to sell it at a vastly reduced price just to get rid.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby MY63 » 07 Mar 2019, 19:06

Hey Roger
Do you think this little router might be suitable for use single handed for maybe starting off some mortises in softwood. :)
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Postby RogerS » 07 Mar 2019, 19:16

MY63 wrote:Hey Roger
Do you think this little router might be suitable for use single handed for maybe starting off some mortises in softwood. :)

Most definitely not ! It lacks a decent plunge capability. To adjust the cutting depth, you undo a locking lever and then wind it down to lower the cutter. Then relock the lever. But now the cutter is sticking out the bottom and trying to make a precision rout like a mortice is a no-no. Especially single-handed.

But I do have a proper small Makita router that you are welcome to borrow. I think I can find the fence for it.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby MY63 » 07 Mar 2019, 19:36

Thanks saves me wasting money,
Actually I do have a plunging frame for my proxxon multi tool.

https://www.axminster.co.uk/proxxon-rou ... ofv-505907

Do you think that will work
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Postby RogerS » 07 Mar 2019, 22:50

MY63 wrote:Thanks saves me wasting money,
Actually I do have a plunging frame for my proxxon multi tool.

https://www.axminster.co.uk/proxxon-rou ... ofv-505907

Do you think that will work

I don't think so as the depth of the cuutter (and size) isn't really man enough for the job.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Return to Machines & Power Toolery