It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:31

Recent Acquisitions

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Recent Acquisitions

Postby Malc2098 » 23 Feb 2019, 19:17

I know neither of these have got a motor, but they work with the table saw, which has, so I've put them in M&C.

Look what carefully scanning of Facebook's Marketplace can show up.

I reckon I've got these at about half retail price and a drive across Exmoor to collect them.

The tenoning jig is built like a tank!

I have a couple of projects in mind that I intend to use M&T joints for.
IMG_2555.JPG
(254 KiB)

IMG_2554.JPG
(288.91 KiB)
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Re: Recent Acquisitions

Postby DaveL » 23 Feb 2019, 21:04

Well done, I have both of those that I use on my Wadkin AGS table saw. The mitre guide I use all the time, its a really good bit of kit.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Phil » 24 Feb 2019, 12:42

Nice buy Malcolm
8-)
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Doug » 24 Feb 2019, 18:35

Are they second hand? They look in excellent condition.

I’ve heard good reports on the Osborne mitre gauge & though I’m not a fan of cutting tenon cheeks on the table saw I believe that jig works well if a little risky but then again I’m certainly the wrong person to comment on H&S
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 24 Feb 2019, 19:00

Doug wrote:Are they second hand? They look in excellent condition.

I’ve heard good reports on the Osborne mitre gauge & though I’m not a fan of cutting tenon cheeks on the table saw I believe that jig works well if a little risky but then again I’m certainly the wrong person to comment on H&S

Second hand indeed, as I said before, offered for sale on Facebook Marketplace and only an hour's drive away. Vendor was downsizing and had got rid of his table saw.

Only today, I was having to replace all the cladding on my bin store and had to cut 16 lengths of larch F/E at 1.0m exactly. It was a doddle with the Osborne which extends to 1.0m, and they all came out exactly the same, as you'd expect. I know, I could have used the Kapex with a stop, but I was also having to cut a rebate in all 16 lengths so the F/E laid flat against the framework, so The TS was the workstation for both jobs.

And I got all 16 painted on all sides and 8 fixed before my back said 'No!'. I can do the rest tomorrow. I did the doors for LOML's Valentine's day present! :D
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby kirkpoore1 » 04 Mar 2019, 05:22

Nice tenoning jig in 1980's Delta blue-gray. Has that been sitting in a box for the last 30 years? It looks pristine.

I had a clone of one of those. They work really well--solid and above all consistent. It did pretty much everything you can do with tenons on the table saw. Good find!

Doug wrote:I’ve heard good reports on the Osborne mitre gauge & though I’m not a fan of cutting tenon cheeks on the table saw I believe that jig works well if a little risky but then again I’m certainly the wrong person to comment on H&S

Doug, if you keep both hands on the handles when cutting it's pretty safe. You're not going to get any kickback or have your workpiece get loose. Yes, the blade is unguarded but that's the case with any non-through cut.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby Doug » 04 Mar 2019, 09:35

kirkpoore1 wrote:
Doug, if you keep both hands on the handles when cutting it's pretty safe. You're not going to get any kickback or have your workpiece get loose. Yes, the blade is unguarded but that's the case with any non-through cut.

Kirk

I agree Kirk & there’s many ways to skin a cat, but I thought it was worth pointing out the jig comes with its own risks, personally I think there are safer & quicker ways of cutting the joint but each to their own
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 04 Mar 2019, 11:00

kirkpoore1 wrote:Nice tenoning jig in 1980's Delta blue-gray. Has that been sitting in a box for the last 30 years? It looks pristine.

I had a clone of one of those. They work really well--solid and above all consistent. It did pretty much everything you can do with tenons on the table saw. Good find!

Kirk

Thanks, Kirk. I don't know if the Delta is that old. The chap selling was younger than me, had the manual but not the box. Solid, yes! Built like a tank! (The jig, not the chap selling! :D )
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby kirkpoore1 » 08 Mar 2019, 05:55

Doug wrote:
kirkpoore1 wrote:

Kirk

I agree Kirk & there’s many ways to skin a cat, but I thought it was worth pointing out the jig comes with its own risks, personally I think there are safer & quicker ways of cutting the joint but each to their own

There are indeed many ways to make a tenon. I think I've tried seven:
Hand cut shoulder/split face
Hand cut shoulder/sawn face
Radial arm saw shoulder and faces (repeated cuts parallel to the shoulder)
Tenon jig shoulder & face
RAS shoulder/tenon jig face
Shaper
Tenoner

The tenoner is the best, but few have them. Shaper with a sliding table may be the second best, but I didn't have a sliding table so I used a jig. Worked well for some things, but long parts tended to sag and lose accuracy. RAS shoulder/tenon jig face was the most accurate after that, and fairly quick even though it needed more cuts.

Used with care, the tenon jig is plenty safe. Used without paying attention, you're going to screw up your tenons anyway. I will say this: Once it's dialed in, you can cut tenon faces so fast you can get complacent. That's where the trouble starts.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby Andyp » 08 Mar 2019, 08:17

As mentioned elsewhere usefulness of tenon jig restricted by ceiling height.

Looking forward to cutting mine on mitre saw soon.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Rod » 08 Mar 2019, 08:28

I cut mine on my bandsaw though I could use my WoodRat

Rod
Rod
Old Oak