It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:52

Wadkin LQ restoration

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Wadkin LQ restoration

Postby wallace » 28 Feb 2019, 20:00

Here we go again folks. This is a wadkin LQ recessor. I think this to be one of the most overlooked machines out their. They generally sell for peanuts and are really useful machines which can bore, mill, rout and even be fitted with moulder tooling.

This one dates from 1950

Time to tear it down

Now that is a lead screw

I dont think I will take musch notice of the wiring, why would someone get some 4 core cable and use the earth wire for one of the phases.

I've never done one of these and was really surprised when I undid the bolts that attach the foot lever to the head and the head slid out with a wollop.

To get the rest of the assembly out I needed to tip the casting over.

All big bits removed

Luckily when people do the hammerite clown paint job they dont normally prep things properly which makes it easy to remove the paint with a scraper.

While it was on its side I thought I may as well start the prep.

wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Re: Wadkin LQ restoration

Postby Mike G » 28 Feb 2019, 20:39

Blimey Wallace, things are moving at a pace. Are you in a rush to clear a back-log?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 28 Feb 2019, 21:11

Yippee. More hand-wheels!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby wallace » 28 Feb 2019, 22:50

Mike G wrote:Blimey Wallace, things are moving at a pace. Are you in a rush to clear a back-log?

I sold a saw bench to a guy and then he said can you do another 5 machines :shock:

I still have my own backlog to do which I'm realy keen to get sorted so I can get back to doing some woodwork. I haven't done any woodwork for 15 months which sort of defeats the object of having these machines
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Woodster » 01 Mar 2019, 11:50

It’s nice to see old machines given a new life.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby kirkpoore1 » 04 Mar 2019, 04:02

wallace wrote:
Mike G wrote:Blimey Wallace, things are moving at a pace. Are you in a rush to clear a back-log?

I sold a saw bench to a guy and then he said can you do another 5 machines :shock:

I still have my own backlog to do which I'm realy keen to get sorted so I can get back to doing some woodwork. I haven't done any woodwork for 15 months which sort of defeats the object of having these machines

You're getting paid to do restorations? Well done!

I don't know if you need a manual, but you can find one here:
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=15045

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby wallace » 04 Mar 2019, 10:19

Kirk I reckon if I wasn't caring for my wife I would probably be able to do the machine thing full time. I get a lot of requests which I just don't have the time to do. I think I must be too cheap
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 04 Mar 2019, 12:32

wallace wrote:Kirk I reckon if I wasn't caring for my wife I would probably be able to do the machine thing full time. I get a lot of requests which I just don't have the time to do. I think I must be too cheap

Putting a market value on your time is one of the most difficult things when I was working from home.

I tried to be consistent in my methods but sometimes the customer bit my hand off and other times I did not get the job or repeat business.
In your line of work I doubt that it is easy for customers to make comparisons on your prices. How many people have the self same model done more than once or indead from the same sort of starting point.

No right thinking person can possibly be disappointed by the quality of what you produce so in your shoes I'd be inching up your prices until they start reducing the flow of work by just a bit. ie the odd refusal.
As a sanity check, time a project and see how your price compares to minimum wage plus expenses at cost. Might be an eye opener.

In my line, if I had a customer who I felt genuinely needed a cheap job, I'd say that I can't guarantee when it will be done but I can have it here in the shop to work on when get down time on other jobs.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby wallace » 05 Mar 2019, 09:55

When I compare my prices to what dealers charge I am way underpricing my efforts. But then again I've seen dealers with the same machines for years. I know if I worked it out properly I would be getting a pittance as an hourly rate.
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby wallace » 08 Mar 2019, 17:52

Heres a pic of the first version of the LQ, this one dates from around 1910

I have the next machine after this the LP which I will get to one day

I had to get some more paint supplies so whilst their I treat myself to a new spray gun. Works lovely for £24.

I got the main casting prepped and primed.

I thought I'd give this magic stuff a go, it seems to all the rage on youtube

This is how they came out after a nights soak

Then a quick wire wheel, I'm quite impressed. A lot less hassle then electrolysis but quite expensive

Some bits in the blackening solution

Shiny handwheels

I couldnt find a container to put these bits in so tried this

wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 08 Mar 2019, 18:57

Absolutely fascinating.

Thanks for the shiny hand-wheels!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby DaveL » 08 Mar 2019, 19:37

Thanks for posting the details from the Wadkin catalogue. I like the picture of the housings being cut for the stairs, that must of been much quicker than cutting them by hand.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby wallace » 15 Mar 2019, 20:21

This is the column the table rotates on and also the raising gear

Somewhere in their is a tapered pin that needs removing to allow the shaft and gear to come out

A bit aluminium bodge

The spring that lifts the head back up.

Mmm shiny

The spindle assembly

Bronze pulley, on the inside is a square hole which takes the drive to the spindle

Now to pick the brains of the learnid, This is the main spindle which has an insert to hold a chuck. The insert is morse 4 taper and is stuck. Normally if its stuck I would just stick some big stilsons on and a long pipe and that would pop it out. Not with this though. I've tried heat with no success. I also tried making some wedges.

wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 15 Mar 2019, 21:10

You've had one of those off before, have you Wallace? I mean, there isn't some hidden pin or the like, is there?

Brake fluid is the normal go-to when things are stuck, but if it is so stuck that heat won't free it, then I doubt brake fluid will do any good.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby HappyHacker » 15 Mar 2019, 21:11

I have never done it on something that big or with a morse taper but have often used the following to get tapered track rod end out. A large hammer held one one side of the tapered socket and hit the other side with another large hammer. It does not always work first time especially when working laying under a car with restricted space but has always worked for me in the end. Good luck.
HappyHacker
Sapling

Name: Kevin

Postby 9fingers » 15 Mar 2019, 21:15

How does the macine design provide for extraction of the taper.
Some machines have an auto ejector and others have a hole for a push rod onto the tang of the taper.
On drills quite often there is a slot in the spindle to eject the taper.
I can't imagine that a make in the league of wadkin would make a machine with a blind female taper with no ejector.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Andyp » 15 Mar 2019, 22:01

If heat wont work how about freezing it?

NB never tried this myself.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Robert » 15 Mar 2019, 23:39

Is it a taper that is stuck or is it a piece with a taper bored into it (empty) that is fitted to the larger part and not a tapered joint... but still stuck?

Just thinking that middle piece looks like the sort of thing that could have gone in a fly press top holder and this might be similar with a fixing bolt in that large threaded hole.

Are you looking to break a taper or just pull a parallel fit?

You mention trying wedges. have you tried a single wedge? I'm thinking a custom shaped plate with an oval notch in the middle and ground to a suitable thickness and taper.

good luck :)
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby tracerman » 16 Mar 2019, 01:01

Wallace - I've been meaning to ask you for some time ' I can see you have some sort of hoist for lifting the heavy bits , but whats up above ? , do you have an RSJ frame / gantry ? just wondering .
Steve
tracerman
Sapling

Name: Steve

Postby wallace » 16 Mar 2019, 12:02

Steve, nothing as fancy as a rsj just a bracket bolted through a joist. Luckily when I built this portion of workshop I used some reclaimed 10" timber which is very old. I've lifted main castings of machines which I guess weigh 300kg. I was thinking of adding an rsj with a winch on rollers. That would be very handy. I wouldn't dream of hanging anything off the part of the shop I used modern timber, that stuff is so springy.
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby kirkpoore1 » 16 Mar 2019, 19:24

From the teeth marks, it sure looks like somebody used a pipe wrench on this before.

I think it's time to combine methods. First, make a 50/50 mix of automatic transmission fluid and acetone. Use it liberally around the joint. It should penetrate just about anywhere that air can go. Repeat this over a couple of days. If that big threaded hole in the casting goes all the way to the taper, I'd put plenty in there too.

Next, I'd thread a big damn bolt or long rod into the hole on the insert. You want something stout because you're gonna beat on it with a hammer.

Next, freeze the whole assembly. I'd give it a good hour or more to make sure it's cold all the way to the center.

Take it out, clamp it in your largest vise, and hit the main casting with your torch. Try to leave the insert as cold as you can.

Beat on the bolt to twist the insert. I think you'll find that shock will work better than a steady pull, but you could do both--put a long pipe over the bolt, pull the pipe to tension the insert, and then hit the pipe right where the bolt head is rubbing on the inside of the pipe.

Good luck!

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby wallace » 21 Mar 2019, 20:54

A bit more done

To align the table

Adjustable strip for taking up wear

primer then more filler

The main table

The top is in pretty good shape with very little abuse

After initial cleaning with Stanley blade and wire wheel, I will give it its final finish when its installed

The morse taper adapter is not going well. I broke my engineers vise trying to remove it. I tried drilling all the way through the adapter where the grub screw was, inserted a rod and then using masonary chisels which have long tapers. Still no joy.
On a lighter side Mr&Mrs Black bird are back for the 4th year. This nest wasn't there the night before and then at 7:30 am they'd built it. The chicks make a mess pooping up the wall but its worth it.

wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 21 Mar 2019, 21:30

What a lovely thing to happen. I've got a pair building, but cannot see them in the bush, even though it's right in front of my 'shop.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby fiveeyes » 21 Mar 2019, 22:47

Wallace...that is an absolute beast!!
If the separation is to occur just behind the fine threaded hole, then, I would try a bearing separator, and a slide hammer. That is all I got.
You do great work...carry on.
bill :text-coolphotos:
fiveeyes
Sapling

Name:

Postby wallace » 22 Mar 2019, 01:42

Malcolm I seem to have different types of birds occupy the same areas each year, Theirs numerous black birds and then a little wren that likes a specific spikey bush and a robin that likes my shed roof and collared doves that like the holly tree, the magpies always seem to find the doves nest and pillage it.
Bill a bearing splitter never crossed my mind, thanks
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Next

Return to Machines & Power Toolery