It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:53

Hammer C3 and A3 planer/thicknesser - problem

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Hammer C3 and A3 planer/thicknesser - problem

Postby RogerS » 27 Apr 2019, 18:17

This has to be the worst thicknesser on the planet.

Jon asked PM'd me with a few questions to which I replied. But I'd not used the Hammer to thickness for a while and had quite forgotten what a complete and utter CoS it is. Just tried thinknessing some timber 45mm wide and taking only 1mm off. Because the feed roller has such fine teeth (I think that is the reason for the c rap performance) if you have any unsorted redwood with even the slightest hint of resin or 'stickiness' then that b as tard of a machine will refuse to pull the timber through. I've been pushing with all my strength and weight and only just managed to shove it through but the finish is unusable.
Tried taking 0.5mm off...still the same.

And yup..I have put slidey stuff on the thicknesser bed.

I really, really, really, really loathe and detest that bloody machine because of this. Takes out all the pleasure of working with wood.

Did I tell anyone how BAD the Hammer C3-31 is ?

I can't wait to get some funds in so I can go and buy a good secondhand Sedgwick.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Hammer C3 and A3 planer/thicknesser - LOUSY

Postby old » 27 Apr 2019, 20:18

sorry must read before posting.
old
New Shoots

Name: Chris

Postby Jonathan » 27 Apr 2019, 21:54

Rodger....something has to be wrong with your machine....my 2014 A331 will work all day long on 200/250mm wide boards and take more off than your trying to do.....on 45mm wide stuff it will remove the full recommended 3 mm...I love the machine!

Have you tried reaching out to these guys...there a helpful bunch and I'm sure they could help find out what's up with you machine.
http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/felder-woodworking

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk
Jonathan
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 27 Apr 2019, 21:58

Jonathan wrote:Rodger....something has to be wrong with your machine....my 2014 A331 will work all day long on 200/250mm wide boards and take more off than your trying to do.....on 45mm wide stuff it will remove the full recommended 3 mm...I love the machine!

Have you tried reaching out to these guys...there a helpful bunch and I'm sure they could help find out what's up with you machine.
http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/felder-woodworking

Thanks Jonathan. I wasn't aware of that group. I see one of the Mods is a Brian..surely not Modernist ?

It's only on some unsorted.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Hammer C3 and A3 planer/thicknesser - problem

Postby Jonathan » 27 Apr 2019, 22:05

No Brian Lamb is America and makes the most beautiful accessories for sliders....and he works from his wheelchair.
https://lambtoolworks.com

Jonathan
Sapling

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 28 Apr 2019, 11:53

I've never heard anything bad about the Hammer stuff and I've definitely heard very good stuff about the C3, so something isn't quite right. Have you contacted Felder/Hammer about the problem at all? I wouldn't want one of their technicians to come out due to the costs unless it's under warranty but they might be able to point you in the right direction over the phone.

It might sound daft but are your feed rollers set too hard? If there's no give in the springs the rollers tends to just dig into the timber and strip it out rather than pull it along nicely. Usual signs of this are the back end of the piece flicking up quite a bit when it's first contacting the roller and the roller making a horrific juddering sound as it's first being fed or all throughout the cut. Try with the machine not running putting a piece of timber under the roller and winding up the table into the roller and see if they go up at all, if not that's probably your problem.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 28 Apr 2019, 14:14

Trevanion wrote:I've never heard anything bad about the Hammer stuff and I've definitely heard very good stuff about the C3, so something isn't quite right. Have you contacted Felder/Hammer about the problem at all? I wouldn't want one of their technicians to come out due to the costs unless it's under warranty but they might be able to point you in the right direction over the phone.

Many thanks for the suggestions.

It's out of warranty so I'm loathe to pay anything for someone to come out but I will give them a call. It's only some wood...not all.

Trevanion wrote:It might sound daft but are your feed rollers set too hard? If there's no give in the springs the rollers tends to just dig into the timber and strip it out rather than pull it along nicely. Usual signs of this are the back end of the piece flicking up quite a bit when it's first contacting the roller and the roller making a horrific juddering sound as it's first being fed or all throughout the cut. Try with the machine not running putting a piece of timber under the roller and winding up the table into the roller and see if they go up at all, if not that's probably your problem.

That's well worth exploring as the machine has shown those symptoms.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 28 Apr 2019, 15:13

Just checked and they do go up. Will dig out the manual to check what the pressure should be.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 28 Apr 2019, 15:23

I forgot to mention that you should check how much they go up before the timber will engage the cutters, not sure how much it should be on a Hammer but every other machine I’ve used including a Felder it should rise about 1-1.5mm before the cutters start touching the timber. If it’s more than that it either means your cutters are set too far into the block or the height of the roller needs adjusting.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby MJ80 » 28 Apr 2019, 20:35

Other than the pressure rollers have you got any lube on the beds?
MJ80
Sapling

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 28 Apr 2019, 20:51

MJ80 wrote:Other than the pressure rollers have you got any lube on the beds?

Yep, he mentioned that in the original post, something like “Yes I’ve put slides stuff on the tables” or similar.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby RogerS » 05 May 2019, 13:07

But putting much more on- 'Woodslide from Wurth' - seems to be helping. And replenishing frequently.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Return to Machines & Power Toolery