It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:40

Dust extraction on a router table

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Dust extraction on a router table

Postby RogerS » 30 Apr 2019, 07:57

I'm reluctantly having to work with some MDF and using a large raised panel bit. Trouble is the main cutter is underneath and so all that nasty MDF dust is created beneath the work and shoots out the sides of the fence.

Has anyone got any clever ideas to improve extraction? I was wondering about making the box containing the router airtight and then connecting a vacuum to it. Or the dust extractor ? Not sure it would be that effective though because the dust really is shot out at great velocity and so any downdraught created by the 'suck' probably won't be strong enough.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Dust extraction on a router table

Postby HappyHacker » 30 Apr 2019, 08:40

Can you mount bits of soft brush anywhere that will at least stop the dust flying around and may give the extractor a chance of pulling it in?
HappyHacker
Sapling

Name: Kevin

Postby Malc2098 » 30 Apr 2019, 09:46

I've got the veritas table and fence, which allows an adjustable gap in the fence either side of the cutter. I use the magnetic dust chute behind the fence and for the most part with just the aldi vacuum plugged in, it captures much, but not all, I admit, of the waste, even with a spiral up cutter, which is down spiral on a table, (I think.)
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Rod » 30 Apr 2019, 10:54

On my Norm clone table it sucks out at the fence and from underneath the router which is held in a separate chamber.
Very little escapes.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 30 Apr 2019, 12:15

I've got the Ax UJK ci table wot has the box underneath to hold the router, extraction being from the fence and the box, so not much nasty crud escapes, but if you're machining mdf, I'd wear a mask and then leave the 'shop for an hour to let any dust settle; good excuse then to pester the missus to get the kettle on :D - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Jonathan » 30 Apr 2019, 12:56

Get a cutter for the spindle moulder..... if it's a small run and cost is an issue get a set made to cut vertically and run off the fence.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk
Jonathan
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 01 May 2019, 07:25

HappyHacker wrote:Can you mount bits of soft brush anywhere that will at least stop the dust flying around and may give the extractor a chance of pulling it in?

I did wonder about that and it's current favourite.

Malc2098 wrote:I've got the veritas table and fence, which allows an adjustable gap in the fence either side of the cutter. I use the magnetic dust chute behind the fence and for the most part with just the aldi vacuum plugged in, it captures much, but not all, I admit, of the waste, even with a spiral up cutter, which is down spiral on a table, (I think.)

Unfortunately the panel raiser is totally underneath the MDF and is also very large. For example the opening in the fence is about 3 " to accommodate it.

Rod wrote:On my Norm clone table it sucks out at the fence and from underneath the router which is held in a separate chamber.
Very little escapes.

Rod

I wondered about that but bit concerned about sucking dust into the router itself.

Woodbloke wrote:I've got the Ax UJK ci table wot has the box underneath to hold the router, extraction being from the fence and the box, so not much nasty crud escapes, but if you're machining mdf, I'd wear a mask and then leave the 'shop for an hour to let any dust settle; good excuse then to pester the missus to get the kettle on :D - Rob

See above re getting crud in the router. Yes, I was masked up and had the Jet air cleaner running at full whack. Trouble is that all that nasty MDF dust just settles on everything in the workshop and ready to be stirred up at another time when perhaps I'm not masked. I really do hate working with MDF but I think stability is needed for the panels I need.

Jonathan wrote:Get a cutter for the spindle moulder..... if it's a small run and cost is an issue get a set made to cut vertically and run off the fence.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Nice idea, Jonathan, but unfortunately there is also a back cutter and ideally I like to do things in one pass. May well come back to this idea though.

Current thoughts are to find the dust extractor plastic gizmo that came with the DeWalt router and (a) see if it will fit underneath and let me suck dust from there. and (b) having realised that I'd not fitted the rear extraction 'hood' properly :oops: , having now done so that has sealed the air escape route that I had created :oops: :oops:

I have two vacuum cleaners, a Camvac and the dust extractor to play with ! However I think that the latter two are not suitable being high volume and low pressure.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 01 May 2019, 10:38

A 3" gap in the fence would be accommodated by my dust chute. Can you fabricate/adapt one as well as finding the plastic gismo for the router?
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby will1983 » 01 May 2019, 16:10

Have you seen a 'plug hole' type extraction point in the table surface?

This may help to catch the material thrown out by the panel raising bit.
Check out my Instagram account cheshire_cats_workshop for more stuff I have been working on.
Cheshire Cats Workshop Website
will1983
New Shoots

Name:

Postby RogerS » 01 May 2019, 18:40

will1983 wrote:Have you seen a 'plug hole' type extraction point in the table surface?

This may help to catch the material thrown out by the panel raising bit.
Afraid not, Will

I'll put this on the back-burner for the moment as I need to get in some more Medite External...bloody expensive !
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Doug » 01 May 2019, 19:57

This is mine Rog, the router sits in a small box which on one side has a 6” extraction port

57AF5AB1-1350-469E-88F3-DC17EFA4E812.jpeg
(212.18 KiB)

On the other side is a 4” opening

3C62E2FE-22F0-4FED-A067-5CF23BB72CBF.jpeg
(182.07 KiB)

This allows a really good thought flow but also draws air from the appeture round the cutter, when I built this quiet a few years back Dr Bob advised against putting the router in a sealed compartment as he’d burnt out a couple of routers doing that hence me going for maximum air flow, it works surprisingly well.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 01 May 2019, 21:26

Oooohhh ...I like that, Doug :eusa-clap: Could the input hole be even smaller ? Reason for asking is that my extraction pipes are 100mm ...ie same size as your inlet.

Do you suck using a chip extractor ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Doug » 02 May 2019, 06:40

RogerS wrote:Oooohhh ...I like that, Doug :eusa-clap: Could the input hole be even smaller ? Reason for asking is that my extraction pipes are 100mm ...ie same size as your inlet.

The plastic inlet in the photo used to be the outlet before I upped my extraction to 6”, there was still a hole on the other side to give a through flow but again it was smaller than the outlet to encourage air to be drawn though the hole in the router plate as well.

I use an Axminster 2200 with fine filter which if memory serves is similar to yours, I also use a shop vac on the fence at the same time when necessary
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 02 May 2019, 07:32

Doug wrote:
RogerS wrote:Oooohhh ...I like that, Doug :eusa-clap: Could the input hole be even smaller ? Reason for asking is that my extraction pipes are 100mm ...ie same size as your inlet.

I use an Axminster 2200 with fine filter which if memory serves is similar to yours, I also use a shop vac on the fence at the same time when necessary

Good memory, Doug ! I can see a plan.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Return to Machines & Power Toolery