It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:30

WORKSHOP VACUUM

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

WORKSHOP VACUUM

Postby will1983 » 23 Sep 2019, 15:10

Hi I am in need of a new vacuum for extraction from small power tools, rail saw, biscuit jointer etc and wondered what everyone (particularly those in the fitted furniture trade) recommend.

I already have the Titan vacuum from Screwfix and whilst it is very good extraction wise it is also incredibly noisy!

I will be using it in the workshop and also in Client's homes so needs to be portable, quiet and have really good extraction capacity. It would also be very useful if the machine had on board cord and hose storage. At present I am just wrapping those around the Titan but this is very awkward and not very secure, I've lost count of the number of times these has come loose whilst carrying it up flights of stairs!

I am considering the Festool Midi as this seems to be the only machine that does what I need.
With this in mind, budget is fairly unrestricted as long as the product meets my needs.
Check out my Instagram account cheshire_cats_workshop for more stuff I have been working on.
Cheshire Cats Workshop Website
will1983
New Shoots

Name:

Re: WORKSHOP VACUUM

Postby RogerS » 23 Sep 2019, 15:18

I'd go down the Festool route. The spec is 62-72 dba and Google tells me that that is the sound level of conversation 3-5 ft away.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 23 Sep 2019, 16:45

Numatic NVD 750. Get too close to the nozzle and it'll suck out your wisdom teeth; bonus is that it's made in the UK in Chard, Somerset - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 23 Sep 2019, 17:30

Woodbloke wrote:Numatic NVD 750. Get too close to the nozzle and it'll suck out your wisdom teeth; bonus is that it's made in the UK in Chard, Somerset - Rob

But it's between twice and four times as loud as the Festool according to Mr Google.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 23 Sep 2019, 17:39

Have a look at the Numatic NVQ range - Q is for quite and they are. Whether it is more quite than the Festool I dunno but bang for bucks I bet they are as good with excellent hepa filters etc.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby RogerS » 23 Sep 2019, 19:20

Andyp wrote:Have a look at the Numatic NVQ range - Q is for quite and they are. Whether it is more quite than the Festool I dunno but bang for bucks I bet they are as good with excellent hepa filters etc.

75db...nope ! :D
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodster » 23 Sep 2019, 19:31

This is reckoned to be one of the quietest on the market. Only 59db.

https://www.makitauk.com/product/vc3012m.html
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby will1983 » 24 Sep 2019, 10:23

Thank you for all you replies guys.

Woodster, I've never seen that Makita before so thank you for that, at the moment that is the only serious contender to the Festool!

Woodbloke/AndyP, thank you for the suggestion for the Numatic and as much as I would like to buy British it just doesn't have the features I'm looking for (cord/hose storage).

Will
Check out my Instagram account cheshire_cats_workshop for more stuff I have been working on.
will1983
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Andyp » 24 Sep 2019, 12:59

will1983 wrote:Thank you for all you replies guys.

Woodster, I've never seen that Makita before so thank you for that, at the moment that is the only serious contender to the Festool!

Woodbloke/AndyP, thank you for the suggestion for the Numatic and as much as I would like to buy British it just doesn't have the features I'm looking for (cord/hose storage).

Will

They do but it ain’t pretty

I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby will1983 » 24 Sep 2019, 13:53

Hmm your right that's not a very pretty design solution is it! Mind you if it does the job..
will1983
New Shoots

Name:

Return to Machines & Power Toolery