It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:05

Restoration Tease...

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Restoration Tease...

Postby kirkpoore1 » 04 Mar 2020, 06:11

Not wanting to let Wallace have all the fun, in a couple of weeks I will be starting on this:

IMG_6607.JPG
(153.84 KiB)

Main portion

IMG_6682.JPG
(292.06 KiB)

Business end

This is a Porter overarm router. A simple machine, but with very costly parts. The two bearings in the spindle (second pic) were almost $300...each.

More in a couple of weeks.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Re: Restoration Tease...

Postby Mike G » 04 Mar 2020, 07:54

Excellent Kirk. I've seen old descriptions of these sorts of machines and it is amazing what they could do. Looking forward to this restoration.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby wallace » 07 Mar 2020, 11:08

Ooh very cool, overhead routers sell for peanuts over here nowadays. They were probably one of the most produced machines wadkin built, but most get scrapped.
I picked up my holy grail lathe recently a RU which was wadkins second biggest they built. It has a sliding bed which is 3.2m
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 07 Mar 2020, 13:29

wallace wrote:I picked up my holy grail lathe recently a RU which was wadkins second biggest they built.

Wait, wait wait...

Yours looks like it was designed to turn whole tree trunks and you're telling me it's the SECOND biggest!? What the hell is the biggest one in that case!?
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby wallace » 07 Mar 2020, 19:31

The biggest one was the RUH which was basically the same as the RU but the head stock was about 3 times the size and had posh Timken bearings. I got offered one recently but never had £8k :shock: It makes them all singing VB lathes look like something axminster would make
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby kirkpoore1 » 08 Mar 2020, 01:53

wallace wrote:Ooh very cool, overhead routers sell for peanuts over here nowadays. They were probably one of the most produced machines wadkin built, but most get scrapped.
I picked up my holy grail lathe recently a RU which was wadkins second biggest they built. It has a sliding bed which is 3.2m

Very cool. I know a guy who restored one:

It's so long it has perspective! :)

Here's the thread on OWWM:
http://www.owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=186701

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Postby kirkpoore1 » 08 Mar 2020, 02:06

wallace wrote:Ooh very cool, overhead routers sell for peanuts over here nowadays. They were probably one of the most produced machines wadkin built, but most get scrapped.

I was going to buy it for $300, knowing that the bearings were trashed. But it turned out that the collet was messed up too, so he offered it to me for free to get it out of his shop. I wound up paying him $400 to install the bearing, make a new collet nut, regrind the collet taper, and ship it the spindle assembly down to me. So I'm into my "free" machine for $1000 right now, plus another hundred for a new belt. And I haven't even started working! :)

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Return to Machines & Power Toolery