It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:21

Thrust bearing, lower blade guide Inca BS

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Re: Thrust bearing, lower blade guide Inca BS

Postby Andyp » 31 Mar 2020, 17:20

kirkpoore1 wrote:Andy:

I have one of each of these guides (let's call them face-running and edge-running) on my two bandsaws. Both work. Bigger, more expensive face-running guides actually use a bearing pressed into a hardened disk so the bearing face doesn't get chewed up. Functionally the same, but probably better protected from dust. These fail when the bearing gets gunk in it and stop turning easily. Then things start to wear. I'd just replace the bearing as soon as you get the replacements and move on. You have to treat these as a wear item. Rubber seals will help, as someone (Bob?) said above.

The edge-running bearings might add a little stress to a blade, but unless there's a bad weld your blade will last until it's dull anyway so no big deal.

One thing you can do is adjust the tracking on your saw so that the blade runs more forward and doesn't touch the thrust bearing as often. For light cutting it might not touch the bearing at all as long as your blade is sharp.

Kirk

Thanks Kirk.
Your last sentence is key. I would describe myself as an infrequent user and blade bluntness tends to creep up on me and of course when the blade is no longer sharp i probably push a bit harder and hence put more pressure on the bearings. I have hung a notice board on the tension adjusting knob that now says check tension, tracking and guides. Hopefully I will do this every time I use it.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Re: Thrust bearing, lower blade guide Inca BS

Postby Trevanion » 31 Mar 2020, 19:55

Woodster wrote:There are three things that absolutely transformed my Record Power bandsaw. Replacing the blade, fitting new guides and setting it up as Alex says

A dud blade will make cutting a nightmare regardless of whatever guides. In an ideal world, with a fresh and sharp blade, you really shouldn't need any guides at all up until the point it begins getting dull.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Previous

Return to Machines & Power Toolery