It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:06

Threads on chuck insert

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Threads on chuck insert

Postby max power » 20 Apr 2020, 21:36

I've been waiting for a 1 3/8" x 6 insert to arrive and when it did it doesn't fit. It looks like the insert is UNC as the threads are flat at the top and have been told my Wadkin RS will be BSW.
I left it at a local precision engineering company today for "the one who needs to see it wont be in until later" to have a look at, but when I mentioned it needed whitworth threads there was a sharp intake of breath from the guy I was talking to followed by "I don't know if we could do it as our cnc equipement only does modern stuff"
Would I be better looking for a Fred Dibnah can do type in a little workshop or should another precision engineering company be able to sort it if this one can't :eusa-think:
max power
Seedling

Name:

Re: Threads on chuck insert

Postby Woodster » 21 Apr 2020, 11:22

UNC has a 60° thread angle, Whitworth is 55°. The thread form is different as well. Any good machinist should be able to cut a Whitworth thread although it may be easier on an old Imperial lathe. I don’t know about CNC machines though.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Machines & Power Toolery