It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:56

HP of motors

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

HP of motors

Postby wallace » 28 Apr 2020, 15:31

I noticed a guy in the states who is a machinery dealer advertising one of them saw stop saw benches and he had the different spec that could be bought. They come with 3hp as standard but you can get one with a 7.5hp motor. I asked what size blade does it spin and its 1O". I said why would you ever need 7.5hp for a dinky blade like that. He says to stop it bogging down.
I like my old gear and my saw has a 18" blade and a 5hp motor and doesn't 'bog' down. I said this to him and he came back with you cant compare old motors with modern ones. How true do you think this statement is.
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Re: HP of motors

Postby Doug » 28 Apr 2020, 18:54

I can’t compare Modern motors from an electrical point of view but I can say that my mates 3kw Chinese made Axminster saw is fairly gutless when pushing larger pieces of timber through it, 2” Ash made it struggle, when I compare that to the old Wadkin re-saw I used to use it’s just a toy & when it comes to saws it can only really be down to the motor if the blade is sharp.

Modern motors don’t seem to have the torque old motors had.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Re: HP of motors

Postby kirkpoore1 » 28 Apr 2020, 19:14

To some extent it does depend on the type of motor, but in most cases no. An old repulsion-induction motor will have more low end torque than a universal (brush) motor will have. A split phase motor will have trouble starting under heavy load. As long as the horsepower is given at speed and not derived from "locked rotor amps" then I would think they would be similar. That doesn't mean that a cheap motor isn't going to overheat and fail sooner, however.

More horsepower on a table saw will let you cut deeper and cut faster without bogging down. But you can only cut so deep with a 10" saw, and unless you're using a feeder you can only cut so fast.

My 14" Oliver TS has a 3 hp motor and can cut anything I throw at it all day long.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Return to Machines & Power Toolery