It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:46

Axminster (UTTERLY USELESS) P/T event tomorrow

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Axminster (UTTERLY USELESS) P/T event tomorrow

Postby Wizard9999 » 26 Sep 2014, 20:23

Wondered if anyone else is going to the Axminster P/T event at their Basingstoke store tomorrow? Sure it is a bit basic for most on here, but thought it worth asking.

Terry.
Last edited by Wizard9999 on 27 Sep 2014, 16:45, edited 1 time in total.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Re: Axminster P/T event tomorrow

Postby DaveL » 26 Sep 2014, 21:14

I won't be going as its a long way from Suffolk, but if you are in the market for a machine then this is a good way of seeing the different machines on offer. You can then score then as to how much space they need, how good the finish is and don't forget how much the spares cost.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Re: Axminster (UTTERLY USELESS) P/T event tomorrow

Postby Wizard9999 » 27 Sep 2014, 17:02

Oh dear, what a disappointment.

Bit of traffic so arrived a minute or so late, but no matter as nothing had happened. Only one other soul there at the start anyway.

So a chap who basically tells us he was only shown how to use a P/T the day before starts to take us through how to set up and use one. Now I don't own one, but frankly even I could have imparted as much useful information as this guy did. In fact when it came to switching from Planer to Thicknesser he had to get his manager over as he couldn't remember how to use the machine. Said manager then proceeds to run a piece of wood through the Thicknesser without turning on the extraction and jams it up.

When they were explaining about the blades on the P/T I thought it was my opportunity to ask what Tersa knives were (read about them, but no idea what they are). Blank looks all round from the Axminster staff who all agreed that none of them had ever heard of them. Ironically, when I got home I thought I'd look it up on the Internet and the second highest ranked 'hit' for a search on Tersa knives is a link to the fact that Axminster sell them (not for one of their own machines, but for a Rojek). Well I guess Axminster in Basingstoke don't sell many of them.

Don't get me wrong, I don't blame the poor guy doing his best to show us the features of the P/T or how to use it. He should never have been put in this position by Axminster.

A shambles that reflects badly on the company. I know the Basingstoke store is quite new, but I am afraid I have no confidence in the competence of the staff there and do not feel I could expect an informed answer to any request for advice I might have. So I do not think they will be getting much of the money I will be spending on new kit in the near future!

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Postby James C » 27 Sep 2014, 20:02

I can understand stores having people in store on the till and such like who don't possess such knowledge, but organising a training event run by someone who doesn't know what they are doing, especially when using what could potentially be dangerous machinery is a bit much.
James C
Seedling

Name:

Postby TheTiddles » 27 Sep 2014, 20:29

Deleted
Last edited by TheTiddles on 02 Nov 2014, 13:43, edited 1 time in total.
TheTiddles
New Shoots

Name: Aidan

Postby justaskin » 28 Sep 2014, 07:22

It seems this decease is contagious. I've had 2 separate set too's at the High Wycombe branch, helpful in a funny way but oh so very stroppy. Really spoilt my day.
I have transferred my allegiance to the Nuneaton branch a bit further away but more pleasurable.
You think its difficult try herding cats
justaskin
New Shoots

Name: Richard

Postby Andyp » 28 Sep 2014, 08:49

Terry,
have you written to Axminster to express you thoughts on the event ? They really should be made aware.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby DaveL » 28 Sep 2014, 11:08

Yes let Axminster know about this, it makes me sad that I prompted you to go along, sorry to of wasted your time.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby 9fingers » 28 Sep 2014, 11:35

Terry,
You have PM regarding this issue.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Wizard9999 » 28 Sep 2014, 20:59

DaveL wrote:Yes let Axminster know about this, it makes me sad that I prompted you to go along, sorry to of wasted your time.

Dave

I was going anyway, so no probs.

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Return to Machines & Power Toolery