It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:29

Wadkin RS6

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Re: Wadkin RS6

Postby wallace » 08 Jul 2020, 09:03

Rod wrote:Things are getting shiny.
That Myford lathe must be worth a few coppers nowadays.

Rod

The guy wanted £2k for it which I suppose is a good price considering its never been used.
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby wallace » 12 Jul 2020, 16:27

Not much to report, just sanding grunt work. I did try a new product which is great. Polyester spray filler. The only downside is you have about 25 mins to spray it and get the remnants out of the gun before it starts to cure. Its horrible to clean out the gun, no thinners I have would touch it. I believe acetone is supposed to work.

It sands really easily and the finish is nice. I now need to remove all masking tape, sand and reapply
more tape before a final primer coat.

Time taken 8Ohrs
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby wallace » 15 Jul 2020, 14:40

Time to throw some paint at it. I use enamel for the black stuff which is very forgiving and easy to spray on.

For the grey parts I use 2 pack which can be a bit arsy for the untrained like me. The main casting and a couple of other parts did not go well at all. They were covered in dry patches and orange peel and generally pants. Not good when this stuff is £5O a ltr
So what does one do when in a situation like this, go on youtube and watch how the big boys do it. After watching a couple of hrs of videos I believe I found out where I was going wrong. Namely pressure and technique.
Since I don't have a spray booth I thought I'd give myself a fighting chance by cleaning the place out a bit. Blew it out for a couple of days and left the doors open all day. I just got a new Dyson for my household duties so brought the old one in and hoovered the workshop out. Then brought the hose pipe in and wet the floor.
I prepped the castings again and the results were much better

Mr Doubleboost started the repair on the cross slide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydtLPgxWoMM

Time taken 9Ohrs
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Robert » 15 Jul 2020, 15:14

I've done a lot of spraying in the past and it is a fine line between getting enough paint on for a decent gloss and over doing it and getting runs. And as you say some paints are a lot more friendly than others.

Looking better than new now.

What spray gun are you using? Having a quality gun like a Devilbiss makes life easier too.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby wallace » 15 Jul 2020, 16:25

I got my gun from the place that does my paint. It was only £3O. When I priced them online they were priced at £9O.
I don't really get the huge difference in price between a pro gun and a cheaper one. There pretty simple things. I presume the nozzle is where the magic happens.
One big mistake I made was air pressure. I was running at 5Opsi :shock:
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Robert » 15 Jul 2020, 17:02

On a pro gun you can control the width of the fan easily and the paint is also laid down more evenly across the fan. It usually comes with a larger nozzle so you can get the paint on quicker if you want... but it has flow control so you can go slowly too.

If you are just doing small details with a round spray pattern then the difference is less to a cheap gun.

Too much air pressure and you create paint mist in the air as much as applying it to the work. unless of course you haven't thinned the paint enough in which case the gun will spit tiny blobs of thick paint rather than a proper spray coat of fine particles.

I was painting products for the business but never considered myself a pro sprayer. Thinning was done by experience and rarely checked with a seconds cup. You get can tell by the sound of the gun as much as the results when things are right.
Robert
Old Oak

Postby StevieB » 15 Jul 2020, 18:56

If you need acetone, take a look at nail polish remover - certainly used to be acetone but may not be pure enough for your purposes - try a small area first!
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby wallace » 20 Jul 2020, 17:01

I got the parts back off Mr Doubleboost and am very pleased. He subbed the gibs to a pro shop and they are ground perfectly. You cant grumble at £2O each.

What break

Wadkin always painted inside their enclosures

It took 4Omins to mask the letters and 4O secs to spray them

The flatbelts for these are silly money, so me being thrifty I had a wide conveyor belt made up then I just cut a 1.5" strip off for a new drive belt.

You do have to remember to install it when youre putting the spindle in.

Time taken 1O2hrs
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Robert » 20 Jul 2020, 22:51

What is this model lathe mostly used for?

Only asking as it is starting to look quite familiar. We had 2 Taylor metal spinning lathes back when I was in business and the colour may be different but the style looks very similar.
Robert
Old Oak

Postby wallace » 20 Jul 2020, 23:05

Its a pattern makers lathe and is also a favourite of production turners
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby wallace » 29 Jul 2020, 17:21

A bit more done, the best way to clean up your knobs is stick it in a drill and spin in your hand with sand paper. Then finish of with t cut.

The same goes for the horn handles

The handle on the banjo is not original and is wobbly

The solution put a bushing in

Its so nice having the wadkin recessor I did at the beginning of the year. It works a treat with the vfd

The dealers tag came out quite nice, I think I'll be keeping it

Now to see if the bit doubleboost made fits.

Time taken 119hrs
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 29 Jul 2020, 21:37

Nice.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Mike G » 30 Jul 2020, 07:45

119 hours! My goodness. 119 x 8.72= £1000+ even at minimum wage levels. I hope you have a buyer lined up for this who is going to be paying a commensurate price.

It looks brilliant, though.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby wallace » 30 Jul 2020, 09:27

I had one of those top trumps discussions on facebook with a bloke saying his laguna lathe was better than the RS lathe. They weigh about 35Okg which is about the weight of the RS bed. The whole RS weighs 75Okg for the small bed version. It also has a huge capacity. The lagunnas cost nearly £6k new, the last RS I sold was for £2.5k.
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby wallace » 03 Aug 2020, 15:20

A few little job and then its done, the handle for the cross slide needed tarting up a bit.

Then I needed a pin to centre the tail stock, the only stuff I could find was an old stair rod

Took me a couple of attempts to get the taper correct, its only 1mm

In our town we have one of those hardware shops that reminds me of the two ronnies sketch, '4 candles', it has an owner in brown overcoat that finds your stuff. The town is dying but this place is still surviving. Anyway whilst he was getting my order I noticed some rolls of rope for wood burners I think. I thought it would be perfect for the electrical door gasket. £1.5O

I then had the bright idea to make something for the spindle locking pin to go

I was feeling pretty pleased with myself and stood back to look at my work, I then realised I'd messed up. This lathe didn't come with a banjo so I pinched the one off my lathe. Only problem is its a 1O" version.

Look how high the tool rest is

It took me a while to find the correct size, I had to buy another lathe.

Finito

Time taken 129hrs
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby kirkpoore1 » 03 Aug 2020, 15:24

wallace wrote:I had one of those top trumps discussions on facebook with a bloke saying his laguna lathe was better than the RS lathe. They weigh about 35Okg which is about the weight of the RS bed. The whole RS weighs 75Okg for the small bed version. It also has a huge capacity. The lagunnas cost nearly £6k new, the last RS I sold was for £2.5k.

The Laguna will take a minimum 50% hit on price when he tries to sell it in a few years. The RS will sell for exactly what you got paid. :)

Since I've started working on old machines for my shop, when I've upgraded I've never sold an old machine for less than what I paid. That includes two table saws, two lathes, a drill press, a shaper, a jointer (i.e. planer), an overarm router, and probably other machines I can't remember. Yes, that doesn't include labor or parts, but I got good use out of almost all of them before I sold, so I can't complain.

Kirk
Last edited by kirkpoore1 on 06 Aug 2020, 13:47, edited 1 time in total.
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby Malc2098 » 03 Aug 2020, 15:53

Gorgeous!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Robert » 03 Aug 2020, 16:25

wallace wrote:It took me a while to find the correct size, I had to buy another lathe.

And why not :)

Isn't she lovely.
Robert
Old Oak

Postby Rod » 03 Aug 2020, 22:21

It’s too good to use and get dirty

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 04 Aug 2020, 00:27

Bravo sir, Bravo!
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Cncpaul » 04 Aug 2020, 08:10

Absolutely Stunning !!! better than new, the finish and detail is a testament to your hard work, it’s always a pleasure to follow your restorations.

Boy would I love one of those
Cncpaul
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Andyp » 04 Aug 2020, 08:44

Cncpaul wrote:Absolutely Stunning !!! better than new, the finish and detail is a testament to your hard work, it’s always a pleasure to follow your restorations.

Boy would I love one of those

Agree on all counts. I would have to reinforce the workshop floor first.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby MY63 » 04 Aug 2020, 15:33

Wow
Looks better than new
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Postby fiveeyes » 04 Aug 2020, 15:50

I agree with all the previous superlatives.
wallace, you have set the bar high. :text-bravo:
fiveeyes
Sapling

Name:

Previous

Return to Machines & Power Toolery