It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:12

sawdust extraction off radial arm saw

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

sawdust extraction off radial arm saw

Postby tracerman » 01 Oct 2014, 18:01

Just wondering how many ideas there are out there to pick up sawdust off an RAS . I have tried various ideas over the years , but we all strive for perfection don't we ? . Is there a proper preparatory system for this ? or is it down to our own ingenuity .
Steve
tracerman
Sapling

Name: Steve

Re: sawdust extraction off radial arm saw

Postby 9fingers » 01 Oct 2014, 18:26

The usual arrangement is usually some sort of box/hood enclosing the back of the saw and fitting round the column and the blade guard port.
The fence tends to get in the way a bit. So far I've only bothered with a flexi pipe to the guard and a manual clean-up when the overspill gets bad.
It is rather like a mitre saw - difficult to catch everything and life is too short and projects more interesting. :lol:

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Hudson Carpentry » 01 Oct 2014, 18:57

Yes like any scms type thing is impossible to catch all. What bob described is the best way for a radial but in my opinion, you're only going to have to clean what missed the catcher anyway so way spend time and money for it get in the way of cleaning up around it.
Hudson Carpentry
New Shoots

Name: Alan

Postby wallace » 02 Oct 2014, 07:36

The best solution I once did was to put the whole chopsaw in an open fronted box, I then had 6" ducting. It worked really well with no overspill of saw dust. I now have a freestanding RAS which is much bigger. For this I just have a box at the back connected to ducting, works ok for crosscutting small stuff but anything over 6" the dust just gets chucked everywhere
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Return to Machines & Power Toolery