It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:55

StartRite 18-T-10 Vertical Bandsaw help, please

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

StartRite 18-T-10 Vertical Bandsaw help, please

Postby JamesDS » 15 Oct 2020, 14:36

Hi

I bought an old StartRite 18-T-10 Vertical Bandsaw. It came from the factory single-phase, but during shipping, one of the wires has come loose in the control box and I can't tell where it came from. I took a photo of the control box before shipping, but guess what - it's the only wire the photo doesn't show the end of.

If you have one of these and your control box looks like the photo, please help me by telling me where the wires to the top-most of the three capacitors go!

The capacitor connects into the motor via a red switch placed above the on/off switches visible to the right of the picture. I need to determine where the wire marked in the photo goes.

Thank you so much in advance.

I'm doing a full restore on this machine and know quite a bit about the S and T series from 12-S-1 to the 24-T-10, and would be happy to return the favour!

James
Attachments
2020-09-16 18.41.00.jpg
Where does that pesky wire go?
(303.6 KiB)
JamesDS
Seedling

Name:

Re: StartRite 18-T-10 Vertical Bandsaw help, please

Postby Robert » 15 Oct 2020, 15:19

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

While we wait for our resident expert to appear I had a quick google search for a wiring diagram. Didn't find your model but found one that looks similar - http://sharkbandsawblades.co.uk/downloa ... E%20WM.pdf

Which suggests it is either straight to live or neutral depending on which capacitor it is.... But wait for bob 9fingers first :)
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby JamesDS » 15 Oct 2020, 17:15

Thanks Robert, I have that manual and while it shows motor wiring, it does not provide the necessary detail to determine that one wire.
JamesDS
Seedling

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 15 Oct 2020, 19:32

This is a real mystery to me.
In the manual the items 1m1, 1m2 etc are contactor contacts despite looking like the symbol for a capacitor.
So that does not help.
Usually the capacitors are mounted on the motor but for some reason these are remote.

The lower two look to be in parallel so we might only have two capacitors in terms of their function and one could be for running and the other for starting.

However for a capacitor start and run type motor, not only the windings need bringing out but also the centrifugal switch too.

Does it look possible that all three capacitors are in parallel and someone has done this as a repair to get the wanted value for replacing the start capacitor?
If a wire has come loose, then it follows that a screw is loose too and that may give you a clue as well as the length of the wire which will only reach to certain terminals.

In my opinion this problem does not have a solution that can be divined without expert access to the machine.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby sunnybob » 16 Oct 2020, 05:12

I was also wondering why there were three capacitors :shock:
But the newer blue terminal crimps give the game away. they were obviously added well after the original wiring to replace a larger one. Neat job, but I've never seen that done before.

Agree with the diagnosis, there is no diagnosis from a distance. 8-)
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Machines & Power Toolery