It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:35

Stopping router tilt

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Stopping router tilt

Postby RogerS » 06 Oct 2014, 18:34

I need to run a cutter down the edge of a 700mm wide x 40mm thick worktop to clean it up and get it square so I can joint up an extension piece. I clamped a guide rail onto the worktop but because there is only a relatively small amount of the router base on the top of the worktop, there is a tendency for it to tilt slightly sometimes as I move it along. I'd thought about making a slightly larger base for it but given the weight of the router I'm not sure how effective it will be.

Any suggestions?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Stopping router tilt

Postby TrimTheKing » 06 Oct 2014, 18:47

Do you have an offcut of the worktop? If so then double sided tape it to the bench a couple of inches gap from the edge you want to clear up. Then line up your straight edge and the router should bridge the gap and rest on the scrap thus supporting the router base. :)

Unless I've misunderstood you... In which case :(

;)

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby TrimTheKing » 06 Oct 2014, 18:48

And you might also want some scrap underneath unless you want a dado in your bench...
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Robert » 06 Oct 2014, 20:38

I made an outrigger for mine with a skid block set level with the base face. The arm is high enough to jump the guide clamp and the arm also provides something easy to hold as you run across keeping the skid block on the surface of the workpiece.

A picture would be easier but the router is not here at the moment...
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Mike G » 07 Oct 2014, 08:41

Right, now the sacrilegious reply! :)

Does it matter if it tilts? Lots of joints used to be deliberately undercut, and so long as the top edge remains straight this butt joint will look every bit as good whether it is undercut or has exact right-angle faces.

Don't forget to waterproof the cut faces (I use watered down PVA) before finally fixing in position.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 07 Oct 2014, 09:05

Mike G wrote:Right, now the sacrilegious reply! :)

Does it matter if it tilts? Lots of joints used to be deliberately undercut, and so long as the top edge remains straight this butt joint will look every bit as good whether it is undercut or has exact right-angle faces.

Don't forget to waterproof the cut faces (I use watered down PVA) before finally fixing in position.
Unless I've misunderstood then it has to matter because it's a butt joint to extend the counter, so any undercutting at the front will show as a gap at the bottom of the face of the joint...

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby RogerS » 07 Oct 2014, 09:20

TrimTheKing wrote:
Mike G wrote:Right, now the sacrilegious reply! :)

Unless I've misunderstood then it has to matter because it's a butt joint to extend the counter, so any undercutting at the front will show as a gap at the bottom of the face of the joint...

Cheers
Mark

Yes..spot on. Mike's point is valid but not in this case.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 07 Oct 2014, 11:02

Well, sort of.......

Obviously where it meets the front edge you'd need to be upright, but not for the rest. I wouldn't be making a jig for that........I'd probably just practice first on a bit of scrap.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Return to Machines & Power Toolery