It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:26

Budget spindle moulder

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Budget spindle moulder

Postby hardwood66 » 07 Oct 2014, 22:25

Has anyone had any experience with sip, fox it charnwood style spindle moulders looking to get a small spindle that has the ability to use router bits as well as block cutters
hardwood66
Seedling

Name: Russell Evans

Re: Budget spindle moulder

Postby RogerS » 08 Oct 2014, 06:01

The general consensus is that spindle moulders don't spin fast enough to be of any use with router bits. I'd buy a decent secondhand proper moulder over a Chaiwanese one any day.

Also if you've never used a moulder than I do strongly urge you to get some tuition first. Remember the old adage...

a router will remove a finger, a spindle moulder a hand.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby hardwood66 » 08 Oct 2014, 11:27

I did a diploma in machine made furniture so confidant with machinery but yes you can never be to careful with a spindle
hardwood66
Seedling

Name: Russell Evans

Postby kirkpoore1 » 08 Oct 2014, 13:30

I've had two shapers with 1/2" spindles, both with 1 hp motors. Both ran at 10000 rpm. I've never tried router bits, but allegedly that's too slow for smaller ones. However, for routine work, even a small shaper delivers much more power than an ordinary router and will cut much deeper. You can do most work in one pass. Safety is of course a significant concern, but the small spindle machines are less likely to grab the work than bigger ones.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby furnman » 08 Oct 2014, 13:38

The quality of new machines these days are dreadful so I would advise you to go secondhand and get the quality, a sedgewick is not bad but really you should look at one of the small wadkin bursgreens , last for ever and hold its value for ever, beautiful machines.

As for the router cutters , speed is a problem but possible with slower feed speeds and large cutters however quality of finish could always be a problem.

thanks mark.
furnman
Seedling

Name: Mark

Return to Machines & Power Toolery