It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:27

Choice of bandsaw

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Re: Choice of bandsaw

Postby TrimTheKing » 03 Nov 2014, 17:22

Good work. I think Philly has, or used to have one of the Axcalibur machines and rated it iirc.

Bet you can't wait to get somewhere to plug it in… ;)

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby 9fingers » 03 Nov 2014, 18:42

Axcalibur (Or maybe Axcaliber) is an axminster brand.

The saws that I, Philly, Steve Maskery and Terry (at least) have got are Xcalibur branded - I don't think we know who the maker is but they are close copies of the Delta Unisaw and Biesemeyer fence as used by New Yankee Norm.

Cheers

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby TrimTheKing » 03 Nov 2014, 18:51

Ahhhh okay my bad. Cheers for that. I always thought people were just misspelling one or the other! :)

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby stephen.wood125 » 03 Nov 2014, 22:22

Haha very successful 'wood size reduction' month. I saw that Xcalibur and salivated- looked like a great deal, I know they say the newer version is supposedly better, but that is a HELL of a lot of saw for the money- well done!!

that said, I've just spent £1100 and most of the last weekend taking my air suspension (well, my car's) apart and rebuilding it. Must say, as I've been away from woody pursuits, it was very satisfying to get some spanner work done!

Anyhow, apologies for the digression. Best wishes and I hope your new wood spoiling equipment soon has a suitable home! :text-bravo: :obscene-drinkingcheers:
stephen.wood125
New Shoots

Name: Stephen

Postby Rod » 04 Nov 2014, 12:53

Terry I think members on the other forum think it was you who messed the seller?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 04 Nov 2014, 13:06

Rod wrote:Terry I think members on the other forum think it was you who messed the seller?

Rod

Martin King has just put them right on that one Rod so no slur on Terry.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby RogerS » 04 Nov 2014, 13:56

Andyp wrote:Most of us get the workshop before the tools :D

Ah no, actually it's quite a cunning plan. Keep it in the dining room until SWMBO gives up and says you have to keep it somewhere else. "Why don't you build yourself a workshop" she then says.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Wizard9999 » 04 Nov 2014, 15:32

Rod wrote:Terry I think members on the other forum think it was you who messed the seller?

Rod

Blimey Rod, thanks for pointing this out (given my recent behaviour I have vowed no to visit For Sale boards for some time now), when I saw it I almost spat my coffee out out all over my keyboard! That said, given the sequence of posts it was a reasonable conclusion to reach, so no bad feeling on my part, just glad Martin posted to make it so clear it was not me.

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby Rod » 04 Nov 2014, 16:13

Glad that was sorted - it was the way the posts timescale read.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 04 Nov 2014, 17:29

Hi Terry, just popped over to see what you've bought. I think you've got yourself a bargain there. :obscene-drinkingcheers: Martin is a nice guy as well. I have met him several times up at Pugh's auctions.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby nfcm » 10 Dec 2014, 17:09

Took delivery of a BS400 just over a week ago, along with a couple of Tuffsaw blades. After reading the piece on UKWoodshop http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/record-power-bs400-bandsaw-review-t78828.html (thanks to RogerS for posting the link) I did a few useful things to ease putting it together:
1) my mate Dennis came round to help man handle the machine - I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself unless you're an Olympic weightlifter or prop forward.
2) we took it off the pallet before we did anything
3) we fitted the wheel kit first so we could move it around with the jockey wheel. I'm very impressed with the wheels / jockey wheel. They make moving / parking 140kg of metal a doddle.

Yesterday evening I bit the bullet and did my first resaw of a piece of timber. I'm making a hall table for a Xmas present and the lovely piece of reclaimed elm for the top was a touch too thick for my liking (35mm). The legs are tapered so the whole table has a slender look, it they had been straight 35mm would have probably looked right) The elm is 250mm wide and a metre long. I cut 7mm off (nice thick veneer that I plan on using for another table).

The saw / blade (M42 3 tpi) cut through the elm with ease. I used a roller stand either side to steady it. The cut surface was impressively smooth. A couple of passes through the thicknesser and I had a much better looking 25mm thick top.

I guess I will lose about 2mm off the thick veneer when I get round finishing it, although I had already thickness'd it so I will stick the smooth side done and re-thickness it. As it happens, the newly sawn side has better figure than the smooth side.

So far so good. Next resaw will be a lovely piece of olive ash which should look stunning as a top for a small coffee table. I have to finish the hall table first as Xmas is looming.
Cheers
David
nfcm
Seedling

Name: David

Previous

Return to Machines & Power Toolery