It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:54

Luna wood machines

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Luna wood machines

Postby 9fingers » 28 Mar 2021, 15:25

I'm trying to help someone out who has a problem with the P/T part of a LUNA 65 combi machine. He is miles away so I can't visit even after covid restrictions lift.

I could really do with a manual to try and understand how the infeed table adjustment is supposed to work so I suspect any of the Luna P/T manuals will be of help.

Even better if you have one of the machines.

TIA

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Luna wood machines

Postby Trevanion » 28 Mar 2021, 15:59

I think the manuals for the Luna machines are a universal manual that covers all the machines in their line as they were both sold as separates as well as combination machines which could be unbolted and used as separate machines. Good machines by all accounts.

Have you tried Scott and Sargeant? They pretty much have the monopoly on old machine manuals but they usually only want a fiver or so for them.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 28 Mar 2021, 16:47

Trevanion wrote:I think the manuals for the Luna machines are a universal manual that covers all the machines in their line as they were both sold as separates as well as combination machines which could be unbolted and used as separate machines. Good machines by all accounts.

Have you tried Scott and Sargeant? They pretty much have the monopoly on old machine manuals but they usually only want a fiver or so for them.

Thanks Dan
I’ve passed the S and S link to the chap so hopefully he will get it and maybe send me a copy.
The chap has a problem with the infeed table.
When set level with the outfeed for zero cut the tables are coplanar. However as he drops the infeed to put on a cut. The out board end drops more and more with increased cut.
I’m struggling to visualise a mechanism flaw that could cause this. When the table is lowered he says there is no slack at the out board end
I’m interested to see how it is meant to work.
He’s says when it is set for 1mm cut the table is 0.9 mm down at the cutter block and 1.7 mm at the out board end so it’s pretty severe and unusable.
Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Trevanion » 28 Mar 2021, 17:14

That’s interesting, I think these Luna planers adjust with a parallelogram system don’t they? If it were a regular dovetailed slope construction like the Wadkins that would suggest incredible wear on both the table and machine slides. On a parallelogram adjustment however, you adjust the tables usually by turning eccentric bushings with a pin spanner to adjust for coplanar and parallelism, so I wonder whether if the Luna has these cams if that a couple are loose in their housing and are turning instead of the rods that go through them that should turn inside the bushing.

I’ll take a couple of photos of my machine with the parallelogram adjuster and I’ll try to explain what I’m trying to say a bit later.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 28 Mar 2021, 17:58

Thanks Dan, I wonder if the set up cams are binding on the pivots.

Your insights are much appreciated. I've only experienced the dove tail type slides on a Kity (past) and Jet (current) planers.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Trevanion » 28 Mar 2021, 18:53

Here's a couple of pictures of my Multico planer:

As you can see, there are four round bars that span across the inside of the table and frame of the machine, two in the table and two in the frame. The rods above and below each other are attached together with clamps so that they pivot together when the lever is moved the table moves up or down. The rods that go through the frame are in bronze/brass bushings which are eccentric and can be adjusted on each corner to ensure the tables are parallel and coplanar with each other.

What I think may have happened is that the rods in the bushings have gotten stiff from a lack of lubrication, and instead of adjusting properly without moving the bushing, it is now turning the bushing instead of the rod.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 28 Mar 2021, 18:57

Much obliged Dan.
That certainly could explain the problem.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Return to Machines & Power Toolery