It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:14

Thicknesser help

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Thicknesser help

Postby mailee » 12 Nov 2014, 01:02

I have just fitted a set of blades to my thicknesser (Axminster TH 410) and I am now getting snipe on both ends of the timber? I used a pair of magnetic setting gauges to set them having taken the setting off the old ones. Now does this mean the blades are set too high or too low?
mailee
New Shoots

Name:

Re: Thicknesser help

Postby kirkpoore1 » 12 Nov 2014, 05:29

Too high (too far above the cutterhead cylinder surface). The infeed and outfeed rollers should be about 1/32"/0.8mm below the cutting arc of the knives. If the knife arc is too low, your rollers won't hold the wood down well enough.

Conceivably you could lower the infeed and outfeed rollers, but I have no idea whether that would be harder to do on your machine than resetting the knives.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby Mike G » 12 Nov 2014, 11:23

Great answer Kirk! That helps with a little issue I have.

Thanks.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby mailee » 12 Nov 2014, 22:12

Thanks for that Kirk. I went into the workshop this morning ready to re set the blades but after feeding a piece of timber through it seems to be fine now?? I fed a few more pieces through all with no snipe? All I can think is that the timber that got the snipe was very thin so maybe that had something to do with it. :?
mailee
New Shoots

Name:

Postby mailee » 12 Nov 2014, 22:12

Thanks for that Kirk. I went into the workshop this morning ready to re set the blades but after feeding a piece of timber through it seems to be fine now?? I fed a few more pieces through all with no snipe? All I can think is that the timber that got the snipe was very thin so maybe that had something to do with it. :?
mailee
New Shoots

Name:

Postby kirkpoore1 » 13 Nov 2014, 05:15

That's possible too. A very thin board will sag coming off the the thicknesser. If it only has one hold down point (the outfeed roller, for example), the back end will raise up and into the cutterhead, giving you the snipe. It would be the reverse going into the machine, of course.

You may want to check your pressure bar. It's quite possible that it is set too high, allowing the same situation in some circumstances.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Return to Machines & Power Toolery