It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:36

Dust Extraction

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Dust Extraction

Postby nfcm » 05 Dec 2014, 10:59

My current dust extractor is an Axminster (it's the similar to the Yorkcleen WV100 http://yorkleen.co.uk/documents/products.php?action=item&iid=6&cat=3&page=1&subcat=Extractors) with a flow rate of around 70 l/sec. It has a small inlet (58mm) when compared to many extractors.

I've just bought a new bandsaw, a Record BS400. I have to say, my decision to go for the BS400 was influenced pretty strongly by some earlier discussions on this forum - thanks to all contributors for that help.

So, I have a question / challenge - my current dust extractor doesn't appear to have enough umph for the BS400. Even cutting small stock the base of the bandsaw gets a lot of dust collecting in it . Having never owned such a mighty machine I don't know how much dust to expect to collect in the body of the saw, but on my old small bandsaw it was hardly any.

I realise the principle is easy - big tube, high flow rate, job done, but I don't have room for a big dual bag extractor. I'm interested to hear peoples experience of medium/large bandsaws coupled with small(isn) extractors that "do the job".
Cheers
David
nfcm
Seedling

Name: David

Re: Dust Extraction

Postby TrimTheKing » 05 Dec 2014, 11:47

There was a really good post on UKW a few years ago from OPJ I think, who made up a shroud from 30ish mm water pipe to fit closely around the underside of the blade housing and attached a vac to that.

Idea being he was collecting close to the source.

Seemed to work very well if I remember correctly. See if you can hunt it out.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby RogerS » 05 Dec 2014, 11:50

TBH I think that bandsaws are in the same category as lathes and SCMS saws....next to impossible to collect the dust and/or chippings. When you think about it, where the dust is generated is an awful long way away from where most extraction points are. Also the design of my BS350 (no idea how much it differs from your BS400 but I'm guessing not by very much) ...or any bandsaw as far as I am aware..the bottom guides effectively seal the bottom compartment where most dust extraction ports are.

At least that's my two-pennorth and I must admit that, partly because I use it so infrequently, I never bother connecting up the extraction pipe whenever I use mine.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 05 Dec 2014, 12:13

Years ago I made a similar device using a round to square drain pipe adapter for my 352.
The blade runs trough the square section and my cheapo small vac is connected to the round end. It works reasonably well.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby StevieB » 05 Dec 2014, 12:32

Bandsaws are notoriously difficult to extract from. If you are short of space have you considered a twin or even a triple motored extractor such as a camvac? Not cheap, but a lot of suction for the space they take up.

Steve
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 05 Dec 2014, 12:50

David, I have a twin motor Camvac but not a bandsaw, yet. I am confident, though, that it has more than enough suck to cope with the dust from a bandsaw. The downside is that you will probably need a cyclone or you will be emptying the drum and filters far too often.

If you have not seen it already here is the thread on my extraction/cyclone build.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=471#p4844
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Robert » 05 Dec 2014, 13:16

RogerS wrote:TBH I think that bandsaws are in the same category as lathes and SCMS saws....next to impossible to collect the dust and/or chippings.

I'd agree with that :)

I have a 14" jet bandsaw and made an internal shroud to surround the blade between the table and the bottom wheel and extract from there. it is significantly better than the 100mm port at the bottom of the cabinet but sawdust still gets everywhere around the machine.

If I'm doing more than a couple of cuts I connect extraction but for any less I don't bother. it doesn't take long to just vacuum up the dust afterwards in any case.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby TrimTheKing » 05 Dec 2014, 13:39

The UKW post was boz's but the pics aren't there any more. This link from Olly might give you an idea of where to start…

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby RogerS » 05 Dec 2014, 13:50

TBH because of the inherent design of bandsaws it doesn't matter what you connect up...they won't suck out any of the dust from where you want them to. I reckon you'd need to connect up the extraction port to the inlet nacelle of a Concorde Olympus engine before you're guaranteed of getting all the dust.

Unless you modify it as has been suggested.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby nfcm » 05 Dec 2014, 14:01

Excellent discussion, thanks for the updates.

The BS400 has a pair of welded in plates at 45 degrees to the top and side of the bottom wheel cabinet - top right corner - these are just below the guides under the table. The Record man said to close up the rather large (30mm) gap between the plates with some ply or plastic and that improves extraction. There is a small diameter port right next to this spot.

Reading the various posts I'm going to do the DIY improvement and connect my existing extractor to that and see how it performs. I may well end up making a cowl for below the table as suggested.

Thanks again.
Cheers
David
nfcm
Seedling

Name: David

Postby Rod » 05 Dec 2014, 17:29

Here's some photos of mine

Crude but effective!

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 05 Dec 2014, 19:28

Oh, I like that Rod. I like that a lot!
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Return to Machines & Power Toolery