It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:32

Revisions to my motor write-up

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Revisions to my motor write-up

Postby 9fingers » 28 Dec 2014, 12:44

I'm planning to add an appendix relating to recent work I've done on English Electric, 1930s motor recently and whilst I'm at it could add other sections if there was interest.

Are there any new topics that members would like to see there or expansion of the existing? If so just let me know here in the thread or via PM.

The current version is here for reference.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bob.minchi ... Issue2.pdf

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Revisions to my motor write-up

Postby RogerS » 28 Dec 2014, 18:08

Nothing springs to mind, Bob, but it's reassuring to know that your write-up is always there.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 28 Dec 2014, 18:20

RogerS wrote:Nothing springs to mind, Bob, but it's reassuring to know that your write-up is always there.

OK Thanks Roger,
I've just spent a fascinating (to me!) few days investigating the starting arrangements for a pre-war motor of a type I've not seen in 40 odd years of tinkering. I'll be adding something about this soon mainly for historic interest.
I've never really publicised my document other than in a few forums. I still keep a valid email account linked to it and it is surprising how many queries I get from people having found it via google.
Good to know that it helps some who actually read it!

Cheers

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby kirkpoore1 » 29 Dec 2014, 06:12

Bob:

I noticed you only barely mentioned remote pushbutton stations (unless i skipped something). Having done this on a few of my machines, it can be really handy. Is that agaist code over there, or did you not cover it because the intended user (the home shop woodworker) probably doesnt' need it? Similarly, there is no mention of low voltage controls (pushbutton stations,transformers, and low voltage coils), particularly with 3ph machines. Again, not something used by the target audience?

Overall, i found your writeup to be extremely clear. Nice job.:)

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby 9fingers » 29 Dec 2014, 11:38

kirkpoore1 wrote:Bob:

I noticed you only barely mentioned remote pushbutton stations (unless i skipped something). Having done this on a few of my machines, it can be really handy. Is that agaist code over there, or did you not cover it because the intended user (the home shop woodworker) probably doesnt' need it? Similarly, there is no mention of low voltage controls (pushbutton stations,transformers, and low voltage coils), particularly with 3ph machines. Again, not something used by the target audience?

Overall, i found your writeup to be extremely clear. Nice job.:)

Kirk

Thanks for your reply Kirk.

Most machines have the starters conveniently located and comply with safety needs by having a combined locking stop/emergency stop button.
We also have a lot of the frankly cheap and horrid, mechanically actuated magnetic hold switches fitted to low end imported machines. Add to the these, the nice looking DOL starters that are still mechanically actuated and we have a whole load of switch types that don't lend themselves to remote operation either.

Low voltage control circuits are pretty rare IME and then only on three phase machines.

I will give some thought on trying to present remote switching simply without raising readers expectations too high.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby kirkpoore1 » 29 Dec 2014, 14:33

Thanks, Bob. I mentioned the low voltage controls because, frankly, when I start to think about more than 240v I start getting nervous, and it sounds like most of your 3ph equipment is 415v. For those reading along (since Bob knows this stuff already) I think the standard practice over here is for remote pushbutton stations to be no more than 120v. And if you're already dealing with 240v or 480v, you need to step this voltage down with a transformer. Since you've already got a transformer, it's no more trouble and somewhat safer to go with 24v, which is unlikely to hurt anyone (unlike even 120v). Putting a 24v coil in your starter gives you a complete low voltage circuit for starting and stopping.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby 9fingers » 29 Dec 2014, 20:42

OK folks, there is now a new version available for all.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bob.minchi ... Issue3.pdf

feedback welcome

Cheers

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby stephen.wood125 » 30 Dec 2014, 16:55

Hi Bob,

in spite of not having anything useful to add regarding your document, I'm a huge fan of the other revision-Excellently written and full of useful, easy to understand stuff. I look forward to reading the update.

Cheers

Steve
stephen.wood125
New Shoots

Name: Stephen

Postby 9fingers » 30 Dec 2014, 17:15

stephen.wood125 wrote:Hi Bob,

in spite of not having anything useful to add regarding your document, I'm a huge fan of the other revision-Excellently written and full of useful, easy to understand stuff. I look forward to reading the update.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks for your kind words Steve.
The latest addition in Annex G is a bit out of keeping with the rest of the document due to both the age of the motor and the level of detail.
I'd not come across such a motor before (1930s) and found very little indeed on the internet about it so when I had the opportunity to play with it in the flesh, I felt it would be helpful to others to write it up ( and to aid my memory) if I happened upon such a motor again.

I've also written a bit about my analysis methods when I come across something unknown and potentially suspect which may be of interest to readers.

Happy reading

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 30 Dec 2014, 18:44

9fingers wrote:.....
I've also written a bit about my analysis methods when I come across something unknown and potentially suspect which may be of interest to readers.

As soon as I read the above, I just had to go off and read Annex G. Very, very useful, Bob.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby DaveL » 30 Dec 2014, 19:27

RogerS wrote:As soon as I read the above, I just had to go off and read Annex G. Very, very useful, Bob.

Me aswell, I love to see how things are done.

This sort of thing brings back memory's of doing a my HNC, we do one unit about motors and generators, the only chap in the class who was really happy with all of the amps flowing worked for the CEGB. The rest of us were somewhat worried by powering things with more than 12 volts, which was high in our normal work.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby stephen.wood125 » 30 Dec 2014, 21:46

Thanks a lot, Bob.

Always hugely intriguing to see the fault finding/logical approach of a fellow (though altogether much more skilled and experienced) engineer.

Very informative and entertaining.

Many thanks!
stephen.wood125
New Shoots

Name: Stephen

Postby Wadkin Temple » 14 Mar 2015, 03:26

love the old stuff and the EEC . Have a few of them motors from the 30s how about old brookhurst switch gear.

Wadkin Temple
Seedling

Name: jack English machines

Return to Machines & Power Toolery