It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:22

Motors HP and speeds

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Motors HP and speeds

Postby Ed Bray » 23 Jan 2015, 18:34

It has been suggested that I ask this here.

I am thinking of having a bit of a move around of some of my motors.

I am thinking of increasing the power of my AW106PT Planer/Thicknesser from 1.5hp to 3hp, using the 1.5hp motor from the Planer/Thicknesser to upgrade my 1hp Bandsaw and maybe using the 1hp motor in my 0.75 motored Dust Collector.

Are there any issues other than potential size and drive mechanisms, I realise there may be issues with speeds?

TIA
Ed Bray
Seedling

Name:

Re: Motors HP and speeds

Postby 9fingers » 23 Jan 2015, 20:31

Unless you have access to a metalworking lathe, you are likely to have problems fitting pulleys to the different shafts. You also need to make sure the speeds are the same otherwise the machine performance might be compromised.

You should also keep the motor paired with its original NVR switch/starter and move that to the new machine to retain the correct rated protection.

As well as the new motor you will need a matching NVR and overload trip. Toolstation ones are about £30 incl the overload.

The new 3hp motor is highly unlikely to run from a 13amp plug so you will need dedicated 16amp blue commando socket which will need feeding from an extra C16 breaker in the consumer unit or an additional CU fitted to house the new breaker. You might have difficulty getting a c16 breaker to find older CUs so that alone might force you to fit an additional mini CU
TAKE NOTE: Not all brands of breaker will fit all CUs

All doable but things you need to think about first.

hth

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Ed Bray » 23 Jan 2015, 21:31

Thanks Bob, I posted in the hope you might answer :obscene-drinkingcheers:

I already have a dedicated 16A supply for my table saw so that wouldn't be an issue. I will have to think somewhat about the different pulleys and speeds.

Just out of curiosity, what is the benefit of a NVR switch on a Dust Collector? I switch mine off at the wall to save having to go around to stop it at the machine, but when I want to restart it I have to go back around and start it from the machine.

I can see the value in a machine with a blade/cutter, but a Dust Extractor?
Ed Bray
Seedling

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 23 Jan 2015, 21:49

A proper NVR - chunky box about the size of half a brick, should include protection for the motor.

The small and nasty NVRs which are little more than a pair of buttons offer no protection to the motor.

An NVR on a DC will still protect your pinkies in the event of power re-connection.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby RogerS » 23 Jan 2015, 22:29

Can I ask the obvious, Ed?

Why?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Ed Bray » 23 Jan 2015, 23:24

RogerS wrote:Can I ask the obvious, Ed?

Why?

I think the AW106PT could probably do with a bit more power, the newer version has 2hp whilst mine has 1.5hp, my 14" bandsaw has slowed when resawing 8" Iroko, so suspect that would be better with a bit more power, so I was thinking of getting a 3hp motor and putting it in the P/T and putting the 1.5hp into the Bandsaw (currently 1hp). Sort of a win,win.
Ed Bray
Seedling

Name:

Postby kirkpoore1 » 27 Jan 2015, 20:27

As long as the 3 hp motor has the same speed as the 1.5 hp motor, you can get a pulley of the same outside diameter as the current one and you'll be fine. Bob has noted that the shaft size on the motors is likely to be different. You should be able to find a pulley with the right outside and inside diameters to use. Get a balanced cast iron pulley, not some zinc POS.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby Ed Bray » 28 Jan 2015, 16:28

Thank you, I'm still thinking it over.
Ed Bray
Seedling

Name:

Return to Machines & Power Toolery