It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:18

wadkin RS lathe restoration

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Re: wadkin RS lathe restoration

Postby Mike G » 04 Apr 2015, 11:22

wallace wrote:.......Heres a clip of the lathe running for the first time........

Magnificent. It looks and sounds a real treat, although that belt noise would annoy me. Isn't there something that can be done? Wax the outside of it, or something?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 04 Apr 2015, 11:39

Mike G wrote:
wallace wrote:.......Heres a clip of the lathe running for the first time........

Magnificent. It looks and sounds a real treat, although that belt noise would annoy me. Isn't there something that can be done? Wax the outside of it, or something?

Love it or hate it, that is the classic slap of a flat belt drive each time the joint goes past the speed changer or just over a pulley. In days of yore, there was "belt jam" to be applied but that was mainly to improve grip but it did change the noise slightly but not really reduce it. Belt jam seems unavailable these days but maybe some of the old timers over on OWWM might have a recipe.
I used to have a flat belt engineering lathe but gave that to my Dad years ago and it was auctioned off when he died 20+ years back.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby wallace » 04 Apr 2015, 18:52

The main noise is the alligator connector as bob says, on my other one the belt is canvas and the clip is flatter so doesn't make as much noise. I've heard of modern belts that are rubber and just about silent. I sold one to an old guy and one of the reasons he bought it was just because of the flat belt noise.
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby kirkpoore1 » 08 Apr 2015, 00:40

wallace wrote:The main noise is the alligator connector as bob says, on my other one the belt is canvas and the clip is flatter so doesn't make as much noise. I've heard of modern belts that are rubber and just about silent. I sold one to an old guy and one of the reasons he bought it was just because of the flat belt noise.

Wallace:

You might be able to hammer the clip a little flatter to cut down the noise. It certainly sounds like the whole lathe is noisier than, for example, my tenoner which also has the laced flat belt. But it could be that your phone/camera has really good sound pick up,

I like the black oxide finish. I've never tried it. Did you use a kit, or some kind of home chemical brew?

Nice work...

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby wallace » 08 Apr 2015, 09:28

Kirk I think my phone is just sensitive. The oxide was stuff I bought, its just a type of acid. I got it from here.http://www.caswelleurope.co.uk/black-oxide-parkerizing I think its similar stuff you get to antique affect brass
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby PeterBassett » 08 Apr 2015, 13:24

I'm desperate to know how much you want to sell it for, but also realise I realistically cannot afford the answer.

You've done a great job with it nonetheless.
PeterBassett
Seedling

Name:

Postby wallace » 09 Apr 2015, 08:51

Hi Peter heres a little story. I had someone ring me up the other day asking how much I wanted for the lathe. It was going to be a surprise for her husband. I wish I had a wife that gave me surprises like that :D
I told her £1700. She said ok that's fine but wanted to make sure and told her hubby. She then calls me back and says her hubby really likes it but thinks he should go for one from Axminster which is £2700. I then politely explain that the one from axminster does not compare in any way to the wadkin. Her husband thinks that because it is new the axminster one will last longer and if anything goes wrong theirs spares. Again I very politely explain that the wadkin is 79 years old and all its required in that time was new head bearings. I also say I can fix anything if it were to go wrong which I doubt. Then she says can I lower my price? Once again I politely explain that the amount of hours I have in the machine I am not even getting minimum wage, that's not why I do these lumps. Some people are strange
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 09 Apr 2015, 10:23

After her comments I'd encourage her to buy the Axy one and "waste" their money!
They don't deserve a machine like yours - they certainly won't appreciate the difference in quality.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby PeterBassett » 14 Apr 2015, 11:50

That's actually a very reasonable asking price and I think you should refuse to sell it to the axi-couple on principle! Only someone who appreciates it should pass the test!

I still cant afford it though. :lol:
PeterBassett
Seedling

Name:

Postby chataigner » 15 Apr 2015, 15:54

Superb job, a delight to see a fine machine like that back in good order.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Previous

Return to Machines & Power Toolery