It is currently 03 Mar 2024, 21:08

Bandsaw buddy

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Bandsaw buddy

Postby Lurker » 07 Jul 2023, 11:25

I came across this on Axminster site, I am always looking for ideas for things that I can make myself.

I read Axminster descriptions of why it would be useful in setting up the blade alignment against a rip fence.
Don’t think that I have ever checked for this in twenty years bandsaw use.
But a loose rare earth magnet and a cheapo steel rule would do the same thing,
Using it as a thickness gauge is stretching credibility.
You can use it for drawing circles, but a scrap of wood with holes for a pencil and a nail does the same, assuming you don’t possess trammels
Currently there’s a tenner off so if you haven’t got a straight edge but £15 to spare(waste) it’s possibly an elegant solution.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Bandsaw buddy

Postby sunnybob » 07 Jul 2023, 11:43

I looked at this a while back. I cant see any indent to allow for the set of the teeth, so I am sceptical about parallel. But I havent actually handled one to be sure.

And the finest way to check straight is to cut a piece of scrap softwood. That will show how good your alignment is. :eusa-dance:
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby spb » 07 Jul 2023, 13:11

It was on sale back when I bought my bandsaw so I added it on to the purchase as it wasn't much extra proportionally. It does make fence alignment a lot easier and quicker; while cutting a scrap is the best way to check for parallel, getting to parallel in the first place takes a fair bit of trial and error if that's your only method. Having the bandsaw buddy on there lets you see how close you are while you're adjusting, which speeds things up a lot. And yes, there's an indent just in front of the magnets to account for tooth set.

I can't say I've used any of its other supposed features, though.
spb
Nordic Pine

Name: Stephen

Postby TrimTheKing » 07 Jul 2023, 13:15

Same as spb, I got one because I constantly get moaned at about being difficult to buy for at birthdays etc, so I tend to make a list of a few reasonably priced bits and pieces for the kids to buy with their pocket money.

There is an indent for the teeth. It works well for initial fence alignment. Yes you could easily make one with a scrap of wood and a magnet. I've not used the other features as yet.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Woodbloke » 07 Jul 2023, 15:26

sunnybob wrote:I looked at this a while back. I cant see any indent to allow for the set of the teeth, so I am sceptical about parallel. But I havent actually handled one to be sure.

There is an indent for the saw set and yes, you definitely need to handle one

spb wrote:It was on sale back when I bought my bandsaw so I added it on to the purchase as it wasn't much extra proportionally. It does make fence alignment a lot easier and quicker; while cutting a scrap is the best way to check for parallel, getting to parallel in the first place takes a fair bit of trial and error if that's your only method. Having the bandsaw buddy on there lets you see how close you are while you're adjusting, which speeds things up a lot. And yes, there's an indent just in front of the magnets to account for tooth set.

I can't say I've used any of its other supposed features, though.

It makes the whole set up process far, far easier and quicker

TrimTheKing wrote:Same as spb, I got one because I constantly get moaned at about being difficult to buy for at birthdays etc, so I tend to make a list of a few reasonably priced bits and pieces for the kids to buy with their pocket money.

There is an indent for the teeth. It works well for initial fence alignment. Yes you could easily make one with a scrap of wood and a magnet. I've not used the other features as yet.

Slap the BB onto the blade, joggle the fence til it's dead parallel, tighten the fence bolts and once you've checked that the fence and blade are at 90deg to the table, you're almost set to go. I use mine all the time, especially if I've got a new Ax blade (are there any others? :eusa-whistle: ) or if I've got some critical cuts to make - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 07 Jul 2023, 15:37

Good to know theres the indent.
not much use to me though. I've had the same bandsaw and blade combination for about 7 years now (if it aint broke dont fix it).
Never have to adjust anything. :eusa-dance: :eusa-dance:
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 07 Jul 2023, 15:44

sunnybob wrote:Good to know theres the indent.
not much use to me though. I've had the same bandsaw and blade combination for about 7 years now (if it aint broke dont fix it).
Never have to adjust anything. :eusa-dance: :eusa-dance:

If you needed to deep saw a 250mm wide veneer (as I sometimes do) SB you'd be barking not to ensure that your bandsaw set up was absolutely spot on...but I suspect that you've never needed to. The BB goes a very long way to ensure that it is - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 07 Jul 2023, 19:02

My 350 bandsaw will only cut 18 cm, unless I remove the top guides and then I can get 20cm.
I dont cut sub 1 mm veneers, but I can cut 2 mm x 20 cm along a plank of Bubinga if the need arises 8-)
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodster » 08 Jul 2023, 19:43

A small thin magnet and a steel rule also does the job.

Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Doug » 08 Jul 2023, 19:52

Woodster wrote:A small thin magnet and a steel rule also does the job.

Yeah I never saw the point of the Axminster one when it's so easy to replicate
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Lons » 09 Jul 2023, 08:59

I handled one in the local Axi shop when they first came out, well made but seemed a bit gimmicky at the time to me. I'm sure it saves a few minutes setting up but that's something less important when you're retired. :)
I looked on line afterwards and noticed there was an American version which was even more expensive surprisingly. I can't remember what brand it was.
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Name: Bob

Postby Craig Salisbury » 12 Sep 2023, 13:31

I have one of these and still cant get my bandsaw to cut straight with the fence :lol:
- I am not grumpy, im pragmatic
Craig Salisbury
Nordic Pine

Name: Craig Salisbury

Postby Lurker » 12 Sep 2023, 13:45

Usually due to a damaged blade in my experience.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Craig Salisbury » 12 Sep 2023, 13:47

Lurker wrote:Usually due to a damaged blade in my experience.

I do need to give tuffsaws a bell for replacements, I never know when to replace them or how long they last.
Craig Salisbury
Nordic Pine

Postby Woodbloke » 12 Sep 2023, 14:10

Craig Salisbury wrote:

I do need to give tuffsaws a bell for replacements, I never know when to replace them or how long they last.

You know it's time to replace it when it snaps :lol:. Ax blades are equally as good as TS blades...strange but true! - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Lurker » 12 Sep 2023, 14:26

Craig Salisbury wrote:

The problem is that the bluntness creeps up on you.
You fit a new one and that’s when you know that the old one was bu££reed.
Always catches me out.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Craig Salisbury » 12 Sep 2023, 14:28

i spose it doesnt help that i use the blades for all sorts, resawing and cutting up firewood to go in the pizza oven lol
Craig Salisbury
Nordic Pine

Return to Machines & Power Toolery