It is currently 03 Mar 2024, 21:00

Band saw tension

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Re: Band saw tension

Postby Andyp » 28 Jul 2023, 12:35

Welcome to the forum Suggs,
If you have a moment why not tell us a bit about yourself in the Welcome (Introductions) board.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Steve Maskery » 28 Jul 2023, 22:01

Woodster wrote:I wonder if Steve now takes the tension off when he’s not using his bandsaw. I ask as there seemed to me at least a possibility than not doing so damaged the tensioner on his machine?

http://thewoodhaven2.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6092

Perhaps Ishould, but I still don't. Pete's part will hold up to the most extreme stress you could ever put it through. It's very impressive and I never have the urge to give it a rest. It's fantastic.

You could sell those, Pete, you really could.

S
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pete Maddex » 29 Jul 2023, 08:47

Thanks Steve it’s good to hear it’s holding up.

Pete
Let them eat static

Flickr
Pete Maddex
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Woodster » 29 Jul 2023, 10:33

Steve Maskery wrote:
Woodster wrote:I wonder if Steve now takes the tension off when he’s not using his bandsaw. I ask as there seemed to me at least a possibility than not doing so damaged the tensioner on his machine?

Perhaps I should, but I still don't. Pete's part will hold up to the most extreme stress you could ever put it through. It's very impressive and I never have the urge to give it a rest.

That’s not to say something else won’t give way next time. That part just happened to be the weakest link. ;)

Who knows, perhaps that part is designed to fail in case folks don’t follow the instructions in the manual:

Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby chataigner » 29 Jul 2023, 10:43

Mine has a de-tensioning lever and I do use when I remember, which is about half the time.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby derekcohen » 29 Jul 2023, 21:32

Years ago I would religiously release the tension. I stopped doing so and have not noted any issues: the tyres do not deform, and the blades have not stretched. A test of the latter is that they fo not lose tension.

Bandsaw is a Hammer N4400 (18”), and blades used are either a 12mm 3tpi bimetal (general purposes), or a 1” Lenox Woodmaster CT (carbide) for re-sawing.

Regards from Perth

Derek
derekcohen
New Shoots

Name:

Previous

Return to Machines & Power Toolery