It is currently 03 Mar 2024, 12:51

Elektra Beckum HC260 wisdom needed!

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Elektra Beckum HC260 wisdom needed!

Postby dan.lank » 16 Aug 2023, 22:32

Hi all,

I’ve got a nice old HC260 which I’m mostly happy with, but I’m really not enjoying being stuck with disposable blades for it. I think it’s the case that there are several different configurations of cutter block / wedges and the one I have doesn’t allow enough space for good chunky blades, only disposables.

Has anybody had any experience with this? I’m wondering whether I could change the wedges, or whether it would require a new cutter block as well…

I’ve seen a ‘conversion kit’ for sale for the Metabo HC260 (which I think is basically the same P/T) - but it gives no explanation of what it converts and I don’t even know whether it’d be compatible with my machine!

I do like the idea of a spiral head for it but unless the prices come down by at least 90% I may be stuck for a bit…

Thanks in advance for any wisdom!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dan.lank
Seedling

Name:

Re: Elektra Beckum HC260 wisdom needed!

Postby Cabinetman » 17 Aug 2023, 00:29

Hi Dan, it sounds as if the machine you have isn’t up to what you want to do with it? I would suggest that instead of trying to convert it you look at changing it perhaps. You could do a lot worse than a second hand SCM Minimax, still has replaceable Tersa blades but they last for months unless you are using it all day. Much heavier beefier machine, single phase, 340mm width of cut, and s/h prices for a good m/c around £2500/3000.
You could spend a little more and buy one with a spiral head but it really isn’t necessary, the finish from the Tersa is superb.
I do understand that that maybe more than you want to spend, keep your eyes open cheap ones do come up.
Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby greeno » 17 Aug 2023, 10:55

I think it might just be the wedge design that is different. I've the matebo version, but it's the old blue one that's probably a couple of decades old.

I really only use it as a thicknesser and had been meaning to get some time to set the blades and feed tables which I did the other day. Not really knowing what I was doing, I watched some YouTube videos. Mine has reusable blades and the height is tuned using 3 grub screws and was a bit of a PITA. On the videos I watched it was a single up/down point to tune and they talked about reusable blades. Can't quite remember specifics.
greeno
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Jonathan » 17 Aug 2023, 11:29

Dan, I would stay with the disposable blades, the old style blades are a real pain to change and set up.
Also the the carbide spiral heads, when they need turning take a lot of time to clean up and turn.
I sold 2 old machines with old style head and went for disposable like yours.

Personally I think like Ian mentioned, the only better option is tersa......unless you're dealing with highly figured boards, then spiral might have the edge.

Jonathan

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using Tapatalk
Jonathan
Sapling

Name:

Postby dan.lank » 17 Aug 2023, 21:42

Cabinetman wrote:Hi Dan, it sounds as if the machine you have isn’t up to what you want to do with it? I would suggest that instead of trying to convert it you look at changing it perhaps. You could do a lot worse than a second hand SCM Minimax, still has replaceable Tersa blades but they last for months unless you are using it all day. Much heavier beefier machine, single phase, 340mm width of cut, and s/h prices for a good m/c around £2500/3000.
You could spend a little more and buy one with a spiral head but it really isn’t necessary, the finish from the Tersa is superb.
I do understand that that maybe more than you want to spend, keep your eyes open cheap ones do come up.
Ian
Thanks Ian,

I think the machine should be up to it, I’m only using it lightly. I like the idea of being able to get the blades really sharp consistently myself - but maybe I’ve been getting cheapo disposables and expecting too much from them!

New P/T is definitely on the wish list, but it’s a fair way down, need to make some money to justify it first…

dan.lank
Seedling

Name:

Postby dan.lank » 17 Aug 2023, 21:44

greeno wrote:I think it might just be the wedge design that is different. I've the matebo version, but it's the old blue one that's probably a couple of decades old.

I really only use it as a thicknesser and had been meaning to get some time to set the blades and feed tables which I did the other day. Not really knowing what I was doing, I watched some YouTube videos. Mine has reusable blades and the height is tuned using 3 grub screws and was a bit of a PITA. On the videos I watched it was a single up/down point to tune and they talked about reusable blades. Can't quite remember specifics.
That’s interesting, thanks. I don’t suppose you know the size of the gap in the cutter block off hand? Maybe it’s worth me taking a punt on new wedges and seeing if they give space for a chunkier blade…

dan.lank
Seedling

Name:

Postby dan.lank » 17 Aug 2023, 21:46

Jonathan wrote:Dan, I would stay with the disposable blades, the old style blades are a real pain to change and set up.
Also the the carbide spiral heads, when they need turning take a lot of time to clean up and turn.
I sold 2 old machines with old style head and went for disposable like yours.

Personally I think like Ian mentioned, the only better option is tersa......unless you're dealing with highly figured boards, then spiral might have the edge.

Jonathan

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using Tapatalk
Thanks Jonathan - fair point! Spiral head is out of the budget at the moment anyway, for the price I’d be spending I’d be better off buying a beefier machine anyway…

dan.lank
Seedling

Name:

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 18 Aug 2023, 11:05

Just to be different, how about this:

I'm a user, going on 10 years, of the EB260. The original, re-sharpenable, blades were 'orright' but not great. You did learn the trick of setting them (with a trailing edge lump of good timber or a light steel rule) fairly quickly. I went through three sets of them one legendary afternoon, smoothing out a bathroom-sized amount of recycling hardwood flooring.

The 'new' blades, with an allen-key-accessible levelling sysytem, are an absolute game-changer. They are thicker, hold their edge better and are a doddle to reset quickly. Try Appleby Something Or Other for them. I bought my 3 sets from them and they do rehoning at a reasonable price and quick turnaround.

You don't need a great steaming Minimax, costing a mortgage payment or three. You don't need a new head, studded with quadrilateral carbide cutters; you just need to learn to work around the limitataions of your machine. I personally would absolutely LOVE to be able to put a heavyweight old Waddy or similar in my workshop, but my P/T has to be mobile and compact because of what space I have available and I am not going to risk a hernia and endless frustration limbo-dancing around the edges of a quarter-to-half-a-ton 'mucksheen'.
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Nordic Pine

Name: Sam

Postby greeno » 18 Aug 2023, 12:17

dan.lank wrote:
greeno wrote:I think it might just be the wedge design that is different. I've the matebo version, but it's the old blue one that's probably a couple of decades old.

That’s interesting, thanks. I don’t suppose you know the size of the gap in the cutter block off hand? Maybe it’s worth me taking a punt on new wedges and seeing if they give space for a chunkier blade…

Just about to go away for a week or so, can take a closer look on my return.
greeno
New Shoots

Name:

Postby dan.lank » 24 Aug 2023, 22:45

greeno wrote:
dan.lank wrote:

Just about to go away for a week or so, can take a closer look on my return.
Thanks in advance!

dan.lank
Seedling

Name:

Return to Machines & Power Toolery