It is currently 03 Mar 2024, 13:05

Creating a curved rebate

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Creating a curved rebate

Postby RogerS » 21 Aug 2023, 15:57

I need to crate a curved rebate. My thoughts have got as far as 'I need a template' but then I'm looking for a miracle for the next idea.

Thoughts were some sort of bearing guided cutter using different offset bearings ?

However, the curve is not part of a circle nor an ellipse but a freehand drawn curve. I was thinking that if I had the right trimmer/bearings etc then I could create just the one template by using a different bearing to get the offset for the ‘rib’.

Screenshot 2023-08-21 at 15.46.34.png
(125.62 KiB)
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Creating a curved rebate

Postby Malc2098 » 21 Aug 2023, 16:18

If it'll fit on my CNC, I could import your hand drawn curve into my CAD/CAM and machine the template for you.

You could then use a bearing guide template cutter to cut the rebate.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby RogerS » 21 Aug 2023, 16:44

Malc2098 wrote:If it'll fit on my CNC, I could import your hand drawn curve into my CAD/CAM and machine the template for you.

That's very kind of you, Malc. It's 340 x 760mm

Malc2098 wrote:You could then use a bearing guide template cutter to cut the rebate.

My mind always goes blank at this point. This cutter will work if the line is straight.
Screenshot 2023-08-21 at 16.42.23.png
(264.66 KiB)

But as it's curved, don't I need two templates...one offset by the depth of the rebate ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 21 Aug 2023, 16:53

I could mill two templates, one of the main curve and one of the offset.

The first template will allow you to mill the main curve. The offset one will allow you to mill the rebate.

I'd include some way of locating each of them in exactly the same place on your work pieces.

You would only need one cutter.

Or —— you could have one template and use a bearing guided rebate cutter giving you the correct rebate offset.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby RogerS » 21 Aug 2023, 17:01

Malc2098 wrote:I could mill two templates, one of the main curve and one of the offset.

The first template will allow you to mill the main curve. The offset one will allow you to mill the rebate.

I'd include some way of locating each of them in exactly the same place on your work pieces.

You would only need one cutter.

Or —— you could have one template and use a bearing guided rebate cutter giving you the correct rebate offset.

I prefer the first option as the offset needs to be at least 10mm and I can't see anything suitable.

Do you photograph the hand-drawn sketch ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 21 Aug 2023, 17:48

PMd you
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Lons » 21 Aug 2023, 17:53

There's an easier way surely Roger.

Use 2 different screw in guide plates on the base of your router, they usually come in sets. make the template with allowance for the large plate and cut the main shape then swap to a smaller plate for the rebate..
Attachments
router guide plates.JPG
(242.69 KiB)
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Name: Bob

Postby Trevanion » 21 Aug 2023, 18:09

Homemade ring fence with rebate block in the spindle moulder?
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Jonathan » 21 Aug 2023, 19:40

Rodger, as it's a freehand drawn curve could you not cut the curve out on a bandsaw/jigsaw, finish it with scratch.
Then with a router/spindle use a rebate cutter with a bearing guide to create the rebate.

Or if you want to do it all with the router and not wanting to go free hand maybe a CMT flexible template would help.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using Tapatalk
Jonathan
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 21 Aug 2023, 21:27

Trevanion wrote:Homemade ring fence with rebate block in the spindle moulder?

I did think about that as it's a damn good idea but for one thing. As you've probably guessed it's that front door and it weighs a ton. :D
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 21 Aug 2023, 21:34

Lons wrote:There's an easier way surely Roger.

Use 2 different screw in guide plates on the base of your router, they usually come in sets. make the template with allowance for the large plate and cut the main shape then swap to a smaller plate for the rebate..

Doh.....I've got those. :eusa-doh:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 21 Aug 2023, 21:37

Jonathan wrote:.....
Or if you want to do it all with the router and not wanting to go free hand maybe a CMT flexible template would help.

Thanks Jonathan...not seen that and bears much further consideration. :eusa-think:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby spb » 22 Aug 2023, 00:08

RogerS wrote:
Malc2098 wrote:Or —— you could have one template and use a bearing guided rebate cutter giving you the correct rebate offset.

I prefer the first option as the offset needs to be at least 10mm and I can't see anything suitable.

Wealden's standard series rebate cutter will do anything up to 15mm width with the right bearings, and there's a large series for bigger ones. Will that not do the job?
spb
Nordic Pine

Name: Stephen

Postby Woodbloke » 22 Aug 2023, 06:39

Lons wrote:There's an easier way surely Roger.

Yep, that's the way I'd do it - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 22 Aug 2023, 15:27

This has been a very good example of Team-Think ! Lots of excellent ideas and suggestions.

My starting point was how to create the template(s). Malc kindly offered to make one or two for me but I still had the problem of getting the hand-drawn curve (in white chinagraph) on the door into a medium that would allow Malc to create it. Lots of possibilities for error-creep on my part.

Then Jonathan came along with a 'blinder'....that CMC template which can be screwed directly to the door. I simply screw, bend, screw, bend faithfully following my hand-drawn curve.

Then the question of the rebate was next and Lons reminded me about guide-bushes (which I have) and so I don't need to worry about bearings et al. May well be able to get away with existing router cutters in my possession which is always good for the wallet.

Fingers crossed I have enough plunge depth on the router.

Will do a WIP in a separate thread when the time comes.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Jonathan » 22 Aug 2023, 17:43

Rodger, if you go the flexible template route, I believe they are made of HDPE, so if you have any kicking around you could make it yourself.
Or failing that pop around and I'll give you some, I throw away loads of the stuff. This bag in the photo is ready for the skipImage

Jonathan
Sapling

Name:

Postby Lons » 22 Aug 2023, 17:50

You want one of the long kitchen worktop 1/2 straight cutters Roger, usually a good 50mm cut. They aren't expensive as a cheapo will work for odd jobs like yours, I have some if you're anywhere near and want to borrow.

E.G. Something like this for a tenner https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trend-BR01X1-2 ... r=8-5&th=1
Lons
Old Oak

Postby RogerS » 22 Aug 2023, 18:21

Lons wrote:You want one of the long kitchen worktop 1/2 straight cutters Roger, usually a good 50mm cut. They aren't expensive as a cheapo will work for odd jobs like yours, I have some if you're anywhere near and want to borrow.

E.G. Something like this for a tenner https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trend-BR01X1-2 ... r=8-5&th=1

Don't think that will work, Bob. I need a template trimmer since I'm working straight off the template. Or were you thinking about the 'rebate' cut ? :eusa-think:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 22 Aug 2023, 18:23

Jonathan wrote:.....
Or failing that pop around and I'll give you some, I throw away loads of the stuff. .....

Many thanks for the offer, Jonathan, but I've already ordered the CMC. Whereabouts are you, anyway ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Lons » 22 Aug 2023, 18:32

RogerS wrote:
Lons wrote:You want one of the long kitchen worktop 1/2 straight cutters Roger, usually a good 50mm cut. They aren't expensive as a cheapo will work for odd jobs like yours, I have some if you're anywhere near and want to borrow.

Don't think that will work, Bob. I need a template trimmer since I'm working straight off the template. Or were you thinking about the 'rebate' cut ? :eusa-think:

You don't need anything apart from a straight bit if you use the screw in template plates I suggested. They work instead of a bearing on the cutter, you just need to work out the offset and cut or fix the template to suit
Lons
Old Oak

Postby Jonathan » 22 Aug 2023, 18:57

Rodger, I'm in Andalucía, just up the hill from Marbella.
Regards cutters you probably know this but the Flexi template works best with a flush bearing on the bottom of the cutter, in a router table.
Then rebate cutter with wheel for the rebate.... I'll post a photo of rebate router cutter in the spindle moulder

Jonathan
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 22 Aug 2023, 19:12

I thought that was where you were ! You threw me with 'if you're passing by'.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 22 Aug 2023, 21:17

Lons wrote:
RogerS wrote:

You don't need anything apart from a straight bit if you use the screw in template plates I suggested. They work instead of a bearing on the cutter, you just need to work out the offset and cut or fix the template to suit

Mmmmm....I think going down that route (for me) lies in tears.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Lons » 22 Aug 2023, 22:56

RogerS wrote:Mmmmm....I think going down that route (for me) lies in tears.

You're over thinking it Roger it's dead easy, stick in the cutter and plate, measure the distance between edge of cutter and outer edge of the circle guide e.g. say that's 20mm then your template needs to be 20mm away from your desired cut. Once done leave the template where it is, change the guide to a smaller one to give the required rebate and it's job done. It's easier and you get a cleaner cut with no burning if you take the bulk out with a jigsaw first.

I do it regularly and all the time when fitting kitchen worktops. Have a practice on scrap with what you have and you'll see what I mean
Lons
Old Oak

Postby RogerS » 24 Aug 2023, 14:23

Lons wrote:
RogerS wrote:Mmmmm....I think going down that route (for me) lies in tears.

You're over thinking it Roger it's dead easy, stick in the cutter and plate, measure the distance between edge of cutter and outer edge of the circle guide e.g. say that's 20mm then your template needs to be 20mm away from your desired cut. Once done leave the template where it is, change the guide to a smaller one to give the required rebate and it's job done. It's easier and you get a cleaner cut with no burning if you take the bulk out with a jigsaw first.

I do it regularly and all the time when fitting kitchen worktops. Have a practice on scrap with what you have and you'll see what I mean

I see where you're coming from. I've used these before with great success..just that I'd got locked into thinking template trimmers. :oops:

I now realise that there is another VIP reason for going down your route...namely that rebate. Very difficult getting the right length trimmers - not to mention a clean bottom cut. Thoseguide bushes remove all of that angst. Plus bits are cheaper :eusa-dance:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Next

Return to Machines & Power Toolery