It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:45

Old Servis tumble dryer motor

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Old Servis tumble dryer motor

Postby tracerman » 01 Mar 2015, 12:15

One for you Bob I think ... I have an old Servis motor from either a tumble dryer or washing machine which seems in good condition since I salvaged it . The plate indicates it's 1/8 BHP . How does this compare with ( HP ) Horse Power ? . I was hoping to clamp it to the bench with a wire brush on the shaft for de-rusting and polishing metal .

Steve
tracerman
Sapling

Name: Steve

Re: Old Servis tumble dryer motor

Postby 9fingers » 01 Mar 2015, 15:07

BHP (Brake Horse Power) does not make a lot of sense on a motor alone as it refers to the power transferred into a load usually after some sort of transmission system such as a belt drive/gearbox etc
It could be that there are slightly mis using the term to relate to motor efficiency.

Of more concern in the suitability of the type of motor. since the 70s most washing machines have used open frame brush motors run with an electronic controller and tacho generator feedback to allow the motor to turn slowly for washing and run hell for leather for spinning. Unless you have the controller and know how to drive it, then these motors are dangerously fast as well as being open for fingers and crud to get in.

Tumble drier motors are usually permanent split phase capacitor motors and run at sensible speeds but don't have a great deal of torque so use as a buffer/polisher is Ok provided you don't press too hard so the motor slows down otherwise the current goes up and the magic smoke can escape. They are reasonably well constructed but still lots of case holes to let cooling air in and out as well as debris from your application. Careful shielding against debris without impeding the air flow in needed.
The latter motors will need the capacitor that they came with and usually in a tumble drier, this is not mounted on the motor but at the other end of the wiring loom. Often people don't know this when they take the motor out because it might be useful in the future and the capacitor and connection information goes off to the tip leaving a useless motor - unless - it has the value of the required capacitor on the rating plate. Not many of this style even have a rating plate so you might be lucky???

Do remember to fit some sort of finger guard and eye protection if you are wire brushing - been there done it and gone to the eye hospital before now to have wire bristles removed from my eyes.

good luck

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Old Servis tumble dryer motor

Postby tracerman » 01 Mar 2015, 16:27

Bob , thanks for that very comprehensive reply . I did wonder whether it might not have the power for polishing , and all things considered I think it will be going to the tip .

Thanks

Steve
tracerman
Sapling

Name: Steve

Return to Machines & Power Toolery