It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:44

Dust explosions

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Dust explosions

Postby Woodpile » 14 Mar 2015, 13:50

I have decided on buying a Camvac 286-3-wall extractor, (originally I was going for the 286-4 but I've changed my mind, simply because the drum will fill quickly when using my planer/thicknesser) because we may be moving house this year I intend to mount the extractor in a purpose built frame on castors, it will be connected to pipework with branches to bandsaw, tablesaw, planer/thicknesser, bench sander and pillar drill, I will probably also have an open end just incase I need one, all branches will have gate valves fitted. If I've got it wrong will someone tell me as dust extraction is a bit of a minefield to me :eusa-doh:

I will be use 110mm soil pipe and flexible tubing as I have these to hand, my question is how do I earth the system, do I run a wire from each machine along the pipework to a screw which is screwed into the soil pipe then terminating at the extractor, or do I have to actually wire the earth connected to the earth pin in a 3pin plug?

Stew
Woodpile
Seedling

Name: Stew

Re: Dust explosions

Postby 9fingers » 14 Mar 2015, 15:25

I've been running my whole shop dust extraction system in 110mm pipe with no earthing for years now and no sign of static problems. It is based round a 3hp motor and 15" blower so will be shifting a bit more air than your camvac!
The cyclone and the drum are metal and neither are earthed and I've touched both numerous times when the DC is running without a tickle. The impeller will be earthed via the motor but no dust should get there if the cyclone is working anyway.

I do notice that the UPVC pipe runs attract external surface dust so presumably there is a slight charge build up due to the movement of dust inside but it's not a big issue and possibly helps to keep the workshop air a bit cleaner too.

If your tools are earthed or at least at earth potential and the camvac bin is earthed then any charge accumulated in transit will soon disperse anyway.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Dust explosions

Postby Woodpile » 14 Mar 2015, 16:37

Thanks Bob

Stew