It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:27

First turning - ever :-)

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

First turning - ever :-)

Postby Stoatally » 23 Mar 2017, 08:06

My neightbour came round and asked if I could do something with some little pegs of ash to stand some of her stained glass decorations on as she's prepping for an Easter craft fair.

Originally she just wanted small slots cutting in the top to sit them in, but as I'd just got my very first lathe I thought I'd have a play.

I only had what I can assume are actually standard chisels and gouges from my grandad's tool chest but they seem to have done ok for now.

Also made out of semi green ash and one bit of hazel (I think) so they'll probably crack horribly between now and Easter.

I'm properly hooked, so much so that I've already put dibs on a (hopefully) much better lathe with loads of bits. Will be heading off to the local club too as soon as I'm back from holiday and have some free time

Little stands

Finished robins
Stoatally
Seedling

Name: Matt

Re: First turning - ever :-)

Postby Mike G » 23 Mar 2017, 08:25

Stoatally wrote:........I'm properly hooked........

I'm so sorry to hear this. Therapy must be available, but, in my long observation of these matters, there is virtually no hope for you. My commiserations to your family and friends who now have to learn to smile through gritted teeth and thank you for yet another ***** bowl.

:eusa-whistle: ;)
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 23 Mar 2017, 09:51

Well done Matt. I bet your neighbour was well pleased.

Ignore Mike. Once the family are fed up with ****** bowls there are always *****pens. :)
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Rod » 23 Mar 2017, 10:34

But they get fed up of pens too
I've still got a collection that I made which I use very occasionally mainly for signatures.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 23 Mar 2017, 11:46

Nice one, Matt!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Stoatally » 23 Mar 2017, 11:59

Neighbour was indeed well pleased. My wife was jealous so I had to make her a mushroom :-)

I suspect there may well be a few collaborations with the neighbour in the future :-)
Stoatally
Seedling

Postby Robert » 23 Mar 2017, 13:30

Enjoy your new hobby.

I thought I was hooked when I first got my lathe. Only took a couple of bowls to realise no one really wanted what I was making so the lathe has had very little use ever since.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby DaveL » 23 Mar 2017, 16:50

After bowls and pens, there are candle sticks, tee light holders and don't forget dibbers for any gardener friends. I still love turning and don't care if not everyone wants what I make, it is just very nice to see things come out of the wood before my eyes so very quickly, enjoy your self, it's great fun.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Andyp » 23 Mar 2017, 17:20

One aspect of turning that I have enjoyed is the speed at which one can go from unpromising lump of wood to a finished item. But I am an impatient bugger. :D

I also like to try an stretch myself to learn how to do something different. I have been experimenting over the past month or so and the process finding out of how I can do something is just as rewarding as actually doing it.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby chataigner » 23 Mar 2017, 20:01

Robert wrote:Enjoy your new hobby.

I thought I was hooked when I first got my lathe. Only took a couple of bowls to realise no one really wanted what I was making so the lathe has had very little use ever since.

+1 regarding making stand alone round things. However, as a furniture maker, I really enjoy having the lathe to make parts for chairs and other items. Your neighbour's robins are a case in point - the turned part is not an end in itself, it is part of a larger piece and very useful.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby Stoatally » 23 Mar 2017, 23:01

One thing I'll need to look into is getting the end finials(?) off my wife's old spare bed, that she has sentimental attachment to, fixed. Our newest puppy chewed one of themso I need to turn them down so you can't see the chewing and they both match.

No doubt I'll bore my friends by making things for Christmas and birthdays forever more.

There will no doubt be more to be made for my neighbour and she's happy to pay as she then sells them all on.

Already planning Christmas stuff as one other villager has put orders in for the reindeer and snowmen I made last year so looking at what I can make this year.
Stoatally
Seedling

Postby Phil » 24 Mar 2017, 08:26

Nice idea and work Matt.

Ignore Mike, just jealous 'cause he does'nt have a lathe.

Andyp wrote:One aspect of turning that I have enjoyed is the speed at which one can go from unpromising lump of wood to a finished item.

Or from a very expensive block of wood to dust and fire wood :lol:
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Woodster » 24 Mar 2017, 12:02

Welcome to the addiction. I don't have one but I understand a wood burner is a handy item to get rid of failed projects in a useful manner! :lol: Nice work on the knobs by the way.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 24 Mar 2017, 12:29

Stoatally wrote:One thing I'll need to look into is getting the end finials(?) off my wife's old spare bed, that she has sentimental attachment to, fixed. Our newest puppy chewed one of themso I need to turn them down so you can't see the chewing and they both match.

Reminds me of a time years ago long before my woodworking interests developed when my wife and I were buying a headboard and saw one with finials on and commented that those would be ideal for the handcuffs. The young lad serving us possibly still at school and working at a Saturday job, seemed to be a little embarrassed :lol: :lol:

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Dalboy » 24 Mar 2017, 14:54

Well welcome to the round side of things and hope you have deep pockets.

I am a little concerned with your reference to the chisels that you used if they are not correct turning tools then do not use them buy some which are. Many chisels which are used for woodwork in general only have short tangs which can break if used on a lathe. Also make sure you have some good dust extraction.

Other than that you have a lot to look forward to from bowls to candlesticks, pens yes the list goes on right down to decorating turned items with colour and burning it.

Finding wood for this part of the hobby can be fun as well by finding felled trees and preparing that not forgetting the long wait while it dries so make sure you have a regular supply coming in.

Don't worry you will soon get the hang of all these things in the future.
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodster » 24 Mar 2017, 14:57

I said the same thing in the pine shop where we bought our bed Bob! :lol:
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Stoatally » 24 Mar 2017, 19:58

Dalboy- picture the scene, new lathe sitting in the work bench. Nice bits of fairly round ash and hazel sitting in my log shed and a box of my grandads old tools. It had to be done!

I have since picked up what I think is a spindle gouge, roughing gouge and parting tool. Saying that I'm in the process of buying a better lathe that comes with loads of chucks and turning tools

In need of advice on best dust extraction for lathe work all I currently have is a cheap Screwfix titan Hoover. I did turn wearing a dust mask though.

Looking for advice and guidance on dust extraction and on the best euipment / machinery for sharpening.

Can you turn pens on any lathe or does it need to be a little
Micro lathe?
Stoatally
Seedling

Postby Dan0741 » 24 Mar 2017, 20:25

Stoatally - Im with you completey. Im new to it all but im saving up for a lathe. I want to build some of these!

:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsd5k8mWdV0&t=780s
...time is precious; waste it wisely...
Dan0741
Sapling

Name: Dan

Postby Dalboy » 24 Mar 2017, 21:13

Stoatally wrote:Dalboy- picture the scene, new lathe sitting in the work bench. Nice bits of fairly round ash and hazel sitting in my log shed and a box of my grandads old tools. It had to be done!

I have since picked up what I think is a spindle gouge, roughing gouge and parting tool. Saying that I'm in the process of buying a better lathe that comes with loads of chucks and turning tools

In need of advice on best dust extraction for lathe work all I currently have is a cheap Screwfix titan Hoover. I did turn wearing a dust mask though.

Looking for advice and guidance on dust extraction and on the best euipment / machinery for sharpening.

Can you turn pens on any lathe or does it need to be a little
Micro lathe?

If that is the tools you have great it is a start just be aware that the spindle roughing gouge is not to be used in turning bowls as the wings are likely to dig in, The spindle gauge however can be used and the parting tool is another that can be used but with care. It would be great to see a photo of those.

I always wear a mask even though I have dust extraction as some of the dust can effect me, I have now brought a powered respirator THIS ONE to wear now. For extraction I have a chip collector with a 4" hose set up near the lathe especially when sanding.

Sharpening you can go from a 6" bench grinder and have a set of jigs so that you get a consistent grind each time which in the long run will save wearing the tool to quickly I use THIS jig set up you can always if money allows is to buy a Robert Sorby pro edge.

Pen turning can be done on most lathes I don't know what lathe you have but as long as you have a]either a 1MT or 2MT then you can buy a set up like THIS and I would also recommend a mandrel saver like THIS. You can turn pens with your normal tools and don't need to buy the smaller ones.

You can buy some of these things from different suppliers I just put those up to show you what is needed.

Woodturning can be expensive but remember you don't need to go out and buy it all at once.

Joining a club is a great idea and they will help with some hands on. And don't forget you can also ask on here just put up a post with the question and I am sure someone will help.

Hope some of that is a little help

Just to show some of my work have a lookHERE
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Stoatally » 25 Mar 2017, 00:02

Wow. Loads of information in one pist, think yup. I'll get a picture of the tools over the weekend.

Just looking through all the links you provided, thank uou
Stoatally
Seedling

Postby Dalboy » 29 Mar 2017, 12:27

Stoatally wrote:
Saying that I'm in the process of buying a better lathe that comes with loads of chucks and turning tools

How did the purchase go did you get the lathe if so hope to see the new set up. Remember have fun and enjoy the hobby.
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Stoatally » 29 Mar 2017, 17:50

I did indeed get the lathe :-)

Now I just need to make some space in the garage to fit it in, which I think is tomorrow job.

photos to follow
Stoatally
Seedling

Postby Dalboy » 29 Mar 2017, 19:40

Look forward to seeing your first turning on it. If there is a club near you go and have a look as there is nothing like hands on with experienced turners as well as getting some new ideas
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Stoatally » 29 Mar 2017, 20:13

There is, Avon and Bristol woodturners, I'm hoping to be able to get over there next week.

I have no idea quite what to do with my garage to get everything in
Stoatally
Seedling

Postby Dalboy » 29 Mar 2017, 21:25

Stoatally wrote:There is, Avon and Bristol woodturners, I'm hoping to be able to get over there next week.

I have no idea quite what to do with my garage to get everything in

I would love to have a workshop the size of a garage but I think the wife would fill most of it :lol:
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Next

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)