It is currently 15 Dec 2019, 04:10

Angels and Miners

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Angels and Miners

Postby Dalboy » 02 Dec 2019, 15:41

Not posted for a while.
I don't like copying people as I stated elsewhere but had to make these on the request of the wife(well you have to keep them happy don't you? I must remember that when I get the magazine in future is to hide it) from the woodturner magazine last year by Colwyn Way. The angels are 17" to the tip of the wings and the miners are 13" to the tip of the Yellow feather.

Sorry for photo quality

20191201_174219 (1024x768).jpg
(181.88 KiB)

20191201_174253 (768x1024).jpg
(191.62 KiB)

20191201_174304 (768x1024).jpg
(184.86 KiB)
Dalboy
Nordic Pine
 
Posts: 877
Joined: 29 Aug 2014, 11:16
Name:

Re: Angels and Miners

Postby Andyp » 02 Dec 2019, 15:56

They are gorgeous Derek and I am in awe of that painted finish.
cheers

Andy
“Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits...” A.A. Milne

Doing my best to achieve Wabi Sabi
User avatar
Andyp
Sequoia
 
Posts: 5977
Joined: 22 Jul 2014, 07:05
Location: 14860 Normandy, France
Name: Andy

Re: Angels and Miners

Postby Dalboy » 02 Dec 2019, 17:33

Andyp wrote:They are gorgeous Derek and I am in awe of that painted finish.


Thank you Andy.

The paint is artist acrylic paints thinned and airbrushed on it take three or four thin coats and then a gloss Lacquer over the top
Dalboy
Nordic Pine
 
Posts: 877
Joined: 29 Aug 2014, 11:16
Name:

Re: Angels and Miners

Postby Malc2098 » 02 Dec 2019, 17:45

Nice. Really nice.
Malcolm
User avatar
Malc2098
Old Oak
 
Posts: 3606
Joined: 03 Jul 2016, 11:10
Location: Tiverton
Name: Malcolm

Re: Angels and Miners

Postby DaveL » 02 Dec 2019, 18:04

Dalboy wrote:The paint is artist acrylic paints thinned and airbrushed on it take three or four thin coats and then a gloss Lacquer over the top


They look great.
Can I ask what you thin the paints with, just water or the special thinners? I am making a few Christmas things that need painting and have never used an airbrush, but I now have one to try out with.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
User avatar
DaveL
Old Oak
 
Posts: 1183
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 21:07
Location: Sudbury, Suffolk
Name: Dave

Re: Angels and Miners

Postby Dalboy » 02 Dec 2019, 19:04

Thank you guys.

DaveL wrote:
Dalboy wrote:The paint is artist acrylic paints thinned and airbrushed on it take three or four thin coats and then a gloss Lacquer over the top


They look great.
Can I ask what you thin the paints with, just water or the special thinners? I am making a few Christmas things that need painting and have never used an airbrush, but I now have one to try out with.


For the artist acrylics I use Flow aid. Don't use water as it will make the paint transparent even then too much flow aid can do the same but not to the same extent as water. Another paint I would use is proper airbrush paint make sure that you use something called Reducer for those as well as buy the opaque paints.
Depending on the paints will depend on the needle size or type of airbrush needed.
It can be a learning curve
Dalboy
Nordic Pine
 
Posts: 877
Joined: 29 Aug 2014, 11:16
Name:


Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests