It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:58

Scraper

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Scraper

Postby Woodbloke » 05 Jul 2020, 13:15

On the latest project in the 'shop, which is nearing completion, the last remaining thing(s) I have to make is a set of identical (hopefully :eusa-whistle: ) pulls for a small door and a couple of drawers. The design I had in mind needed to have a small 10mm dia 'collar' at the bottom to cover over a goof in drilling the hole in the door (filled with a bit of 6mm dowel then and re-drilled correctly)

I was chundering to myself last night and scratching my head about how to make a 'cove' shaped finger pull in the handles which would be identical on all three pulls. A bespoke scraper would be the ideal way but what to use? High speed or tool steel would be just the jobbie so I fruitlessly hunted high and low last night trying find anything suitable, until this morning I opened a drawer in the 'shop and came across a few of these:

IMG_4684.jpg
(304.46 KiB)

These flat bits are as cheap as the proverbial chips and made from tool steel. Perfick!

I used the disc sander to grind one to the necessary profile, making sure that the dx system was 'off' and I was wearing the required PPE. After about ten minutes, I ended up with this:

IMG_4686.jpg
(239.5 KiB)

I had a spare ash handle made some time ago, so it was easy to just tap in the scraper thus:

IMG_4685.jpg
(230.67 KiB)

Also shown is one of the lumps of English Boxwood I bought from WH last week, from which the pulls will be turned. I already had a small offcut of London Plane in the lathe between centres which I turned to to 12mm dia last night, so this morning I very gingerly marked out the first prototype handle and used the new scraper; I even used it to scrape a shallow concave depression in the face:

IMG_4687.jpg
(210.07 KiB)

This is the first prototype without sanding inserted into the small door:

IMG_4690.jpg
(198.33 KiB)

I have in the past made a scraper from a HSS drill but it wasn't particularly good, but using gash flat bits seems to me to be ideal, provided what's being scraped is fairly 'small scale' - Rob
Last edited by Woodbloke on 05 Jul 2020, 17:53, edited 1 time in total.
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Scraper

Postby Malc2098 » 05 Jul 2020, 13:33

Nice job
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Mike G » 05 Jul 2020, 13:43

Are you sure they're made from tool steel? I ask, because they are easily sharpenable with a file, and actually quite easily bent. I always assumed they were mild steel.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 05 Jul 2020, 14:52

Mike G wrote:Are you sure they're made from tool steel? I ask, because they are easily sharpenable with a file, and actually quite easily bent. I always assumed they were mild steel.

They may be Mike, not sure, but the one I was grinding was certainly tool steel. The other ones I've got in my oddments drawer are pretty old so possibly made from better 'stuff' than today's current offerings - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 05 Jul 2020, 14:58

I don't think ordinary mild steel would be fit for purpose. I suspect the no-name ones will be a medium carbon steel possibly with minimal heat treatment is any. Branded ones, Ridgeway, Footprint etc will have had more treatment.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby DaveL » 05 Jul 2020, 16:58

For a scraper I don't think being tool steel is that important. The cutting edge is fully supported, unlike that of gouge which has a sharp edge that is subjected to forces that will make it crumble or fold.
Nice bit of re-use for the old flat bit.
I like the pull, nice profile, sanding the dimple might be a problem!
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Woodbloke » 05 Jul 2020, 17:51

DaveL wrote:Nice bit of re-use for the old flat bit.
I like the pull, nice profile, sanding the dimple might be a problem!

I simply can't believe how good Boxwood is to work with; it makes Yew seem like the cheapest shed pine. Even 400g paper leaves a discernible scratch pattern! Here's the first two which are more or less identical:

IMG_4691.jpg
(287.36 KiB)

These are 12mm dia x 12mm in length, not inc the 6mm spigot. They were sanded with 9 micron :shock: finishing paper from WH, given a coat of white sanding sealer and then finished with Hampshire Sheen on the lathe. One more to go this evening.

Dimples are no problem Dave when you have a Kirjes sanding system with the tiny rubber pneumatic ball thingie :D - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Phil » 10 Jul 2020, 18:49

Thats very neat Rob.

Good idea for the spade bit. I have a whole range of them in a drawer in the garage.

They were the 'things' to use in the olden days before fortsner.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Woodster » 10 Jul 2020, 23:13

Seems like the perfect job for a round carbide insert. Very easy to make a tool using inserts from Glen Teagle, all you need is a decent wood turner to make a handle! :lol:

https://www.ukwoodcraftandcarbidechisel ... tters.html
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)