It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:39

A couple of wooden pens

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

A couple of wooden pens

Postby Dalboy » 10 Apr 2015, 17:14

A change from the polyester blanks I have gone for some wooden blanks this time.

The first is a JR Gents pen kit in gunmetal finish and I have fitted a Silver Birch Burr blank, even though you could see some grain in the blank it was not until I applied the finish did it really come to life.

The second is a Sierra kit with brushed chrome and gold. This time I used a Rapola Lacewood blank I have added a close up to show the grain.

Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Re: A couple of wooden pens

Postby TrimTheKing » 10 Apr 2015, 17:42

I like the pen kit for the top one, and that wood looks amazing figure wise. Not so keen on the pen kit for the second, bit fancy for my taste, but lovely job on the timber. :eusa-clap:

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby StevieB » 10 Apr 2015, 18:16

Nice. Do you sell these Dalboy, or just make them from friends and family etc? Just wondered what the market was like for pens like this since the kits (ie metal parts) presumably don't differ much between sellers so it all comes down to the turned blank presumably?

Steve
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 10 Apr 2015, 23:34

StevieB wrote:Nice. Do you sell these Dalboy, or just make them from friends and family etc? Just wondered what the market was like for pens like this since the kits (ie metal parts) presumably don't differ much between sellers so it all comes down to the turned blank presumably?

Steve

I sell the odd one but want to try and see if I can do a couple of craft fairs. When selling you need to take in consideration all the little extras that are involved. The kit, blank, any finishes, time electric. I know some of these things are only small but they soon add up.
You can pay more for a better quality kit.
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby StevieB » 11 Apr 2015, 07:51

Thanks. I don't have a lathe but keep trying to decide whether I should get one. The thing that stops me getting one (apart from lack of time) is knowing that I would have a limited appetite for what a lathe produces - always felt there was only so many wooden bowls etc that I could see myself using. Thus wondered if pens were a marketable product that had wide appeal and the potential to generate a profit!

Steve
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby chataigner » 11 Apr 2015, 08:11

From what I've seen, the cost of a good kit makes the pen too expensive to sell simply as a writing implement, it has to have enough "art" appeal to sell for a lot more than a factory produced one if you are going to make anything for yourself. Otherwise you are just putting in loads of time and effort to resell pen kits at a small margin.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby Rod » 11 Apr 2015, 13:32

Many, many moons ago I got back into woodworking via wood turning using a ex school ML8
Making the usual stuff of bowls, pens etc but after a while you reach a limit of what you do with them especially when relatives and friends etc refuse them as they have too many already!
I still use pens I've made - fountain, ball and roller and some pencil ones - apart from refills they don't wear out.
The Myford is a bit limited in what it can manage but it's a bit like making more furniture and other woodsy things - my market is "saturated".

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)