It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:26

Quick Dust Extraction mod

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Quick Dust Extraction mod

Postby Andyp » 11 Apr 2015, 17:52

I've been toying with various ideas on how best to extract dust while sanding on the lathe. I very much like the look of the Kirjes with extraction hose but budget does not allow at the moment. I've also looked at making a flexible/adjustable arm to hold the extraction hose in the right place.

I came up with an even simpler idea using some magnets left over from the relief valve:

Stick a metal disk to the tool rest arm:-

Attached a magnet to the a modified extraction hose

et voila

For bigger bowls the hose magnet will hold directly on the lathe bed.

Seems to provide a fair amount of flexibility and with the Camvac on full as much dust as can be expected is going up the hose.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Re: Quick Dust Extraction mod

Postby TrimTheKing » 11 Apr 2015, 19:01

Good work, anything is better than nothing, and you will only improve on it going forwards to where it is working to it's maximum possible.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Dalboy » 11 Apr 2015, 23:08

Great little extraction, as said above you can always improve on it as you go.This is something I must do I have all of the bits but keep getting side tracked and making other things instead
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby justaskin » 12 Apr 2015, 06:46

Hi AndyP
Great job would like to try the idea. My large gulper picks up the dust very well while sanding but leaves a awful lot of shavings while turning which I have to suck up with a remote hose afterwards.
Nice character and shape of the bowl you can't get much closer to the heart than that, is it oak?

rgds
Richard
You think its difficult try herding cats
justaskin
New Shoots

Name: Richard

Postby Andyp » 12 Apr 2015, 08:31

With my limited experience trying to trap the shavings is almost impossible. At least they stay put and are easy to clear up.

It's actually chestnut and I have been thinking that I may have to reduce the rim a bit but it has been on the lathe for about 3 weeks and so far so good. When I get the button jaws I'll be able to finish the piece and will then decide if I can leave the rim as is.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 12 Apr 2015, 09:11

Necessity being the Mother of Invention. Neat job, Andy. I keep overlooking the uses one can put those REMs to.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 12 Apr 2015, 09:21

Just found a couple of images in my iPlod. Horrified to see that it has been on the lathe for over a month. Where did the time go?

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 12 Apr 2015, 09:24

What intrigues me is how long it takes before a simple solution is found. I have spent ages trying to work out how to make an articulated arm flexible enough to move but rigid enough to stay in place and quite frankly it would not have been any more adjustable than the magnet solution I came up with.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby tracerman » 12 Apr 2015, 11:18

Andy and you other guys , magnets are so versatile in so many ways and I constantly forget them . Andy for the application you show a strong magnet should work well , however you mention shavings not all being captured - is your suction strong enough ? . My own (Myford) is not in use at present but I used to have a rainwater hopper , mounted vertically from the rear of the machine , which for bowl turning or similar was good . Dust particles in suspension anywhere near the hopper , and shavings , would be sucked in , although I assume that the suction near the outer edges of the hopper would be weaker . Any sort of "hood" would be good I feel . I saw on Utube a guy who had a horizontal rod at the rear , with a hopper pivoted so that it could be slid along as needed , fixed with a wing nut to position . My extractor is a Startrite 75 with 4" system so suction is good .
Dust extraction is a Never Ending Story as there is always room for reflection and adjustment , I wish I had a pound for every hour I have broken away from the work in hand to make an " improvement " to my Heath Robinson arrangements . But I've usually got spare tubes,connections and flexibles ready and waiting . The rainwater & sewage department of B&Q is good for inspiration ........
I will take more account of magnets in the future .

Steve
tracerman
Sapling

Name: Steve

Postby tracerman » 12 Apr 2015, 11:22

Andy - just a thought - if your flexible tubing is light enough , how about getting hold of a big old desk lamp with the sprung cantilever arrangement , scrap the lamp ( or keep it) and attatch the suction tube to that ?

Is this bordering on illness ?

Steve
tracerman
Sapling

Postby Woodbloke » 12 Apr 2015, 11:55

Andyp wrote:What intrigues me is how long it takes before a simple solution is found. I have spent ages trying to work out how to make an articulated arm flexible enough to move but rigid enough to stay in place and quite frankly it would not have been any more adjustable than the magnet solution I came up with.

It seems to me Andy, that extracting from these things is always going to be a bit of a bugger, but here's my lash up:

Here's the heavy stand, four house bricks enclosed within a wood framework, with a bit of copper tubing in the middle at the top of which is the:

..extraction gubbins. The bracket is available from Axminster and allows a bit of fore n'aft movement as well as being able to be tilted a little. The 'gulper' is simply a cut down plastic funnel hot glued onto a bit of clear dx pipe. The last bit is :

...is my LED tuning lamp, £10 from Ikea clamped to a bit of rosewood with four rare earth magnets in it, new Kirjes motor on a swivelling bit of wood at the rear of the tailstock. The set up works well and cost nowt apart from the cost of the bracket, which weren't much - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby tracerman » 12 Apr 2015, 12:49

Rob , thanks for that , and for the tip about the bracket .

Steve
tracerman
Sapling

Postby Andyp » 13 Apr 2015, 08:44

Steven, shavings would be captured, there is twin motor camvac on the other end of that hose, but I cannot attached it to the tool rest support while turning. Also turning the outside of bowl blanks most of the shavings end up in front of the lathe all over my feet.

Rob, thanks for the ideas. As my lather is bolted to the back edge of a large mobile router table I can't have something on the floor behind the lathe without a very large arm on top, but I have plans.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Phil » 19 Apr 2015, 09:25

Many years ago I got p---ed off with the dust and knocked this together one Sunday afternoon.

The back where the vac pipes plugs in (unfortunately it reduces to 50mm)

It then bolts onto the banjo at the back. The 'hood' can be adjusted up and down.
Probably caught 90% of the dust. The chips still went everywhere.

Fitted to the lathe.

Cheers
Phil
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)