It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:05

A bit of fun

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

A bit of fun

Postby Dalboy » 28 Apr 2015, 17:17

When I made my pen blanks any resin that I had left over I poured into a plastic pipe with one end sealed. I cut this up today as there was just enough to play with. Anyway after cutting it into 1/4" thick slices and then cutting these discs in half I made these two rings and still have enough for about 9 or 10 more.
I don't believe in wasting anything. I turned them after sticking them to a block of wood in the chuck with the hot melt glue.

I only did while the pen kits that I had glued up ready for turning are drying.
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Re: A bit of fun

Postby TrimTheKing » 28 Apr 2015, 18:26

Very neat idea!

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Dalboy » 28 Apr 2015, 21:13

Cheers Mark

By the time I had finished the rings above and had a bite to eat I managed to turn a necklace perfume holder in one of my own blanks

Followed by a slimline pen with a corian blank

So had a good day in the shed even though they are only small jobs.
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby DaveL » 28 Apr 2015, 21:56

Very nice, I have used little bits for cuff links, not tried rings, neat idea.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby TrimTheKing » 28 Apr 2015, 22:34

So I know this isn't really what's important, but given all the kits and caboodle you have to buy, do you end up out of pocket when push comes to shove, or do you make anything on these bits you churn out at Mailee style speed?

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Dalboy » 28 Apr 2015, 23:06

I tend to find that I cover my costs plus a little extra to buy things for my hobby. Also I make quite a bit for Christmas presents. At the moment I only have about 25 pens made up which I think is the most I have ever had.
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 29 Apr 2015, 07:40

Fun maybe but I reckon those smaller items will be very saleable.

Making a profit or even covering costs is not important. What we do is a hobby and is good for the mind, body and soul. The fact that you can recoup some money no matter how small is a bonus. If we played sport in order to occupy those spare hours that we have then there would be no opportunity of recouping club membership fees etc.

Well done and thanks for sharing all these things they are all going into the ideas bank.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby TrimTheKing » 29 Apr 2015, 09:40

Andyp wrote:...Making a profit or even covering costs is not important. What we do is a hobby and is good for the mind, body and soul....

Absolutely agree. My comment on money was purely that Dal is churning a fair few of these out and I know the kits are not massively expensive but they're definitely not cheap and with his volumes would be a fair amount of money to invest in the hobby to then give it all away.

Then again, he could be loaded for all I know! ;)

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Dalboy » 29 Apr 2015, 11:11

I was very fortunate in as much that all the equipment I own was brought before my heart problems and managed to get it at cost from work. Since then with all the little bits that I have sold keeps the hobby going near enough for free which is a bonus. :eusa-dance: :eusa-dance: :eusa-dance:

I have just finished another pen and also have three more ready to turn, I had to stop the wife called me in for a cuppa yep got her trained well :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)